Eric Atreides

Wednesday Numbers: Baby Driver $5.7M, TF5 3,25M (-43%), Cars 3 2.8M, WW 2.77M

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

The GA didn't go to previews or OD of BABY DRIVER. The A- is basically from Wright fans (for what it's worth).

Didnt the majority of exit polling from Thursday night say they came primarily for the action though?  If Wright was the only draw on OD and previews, then wouldn't the polling reflect on that?

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Didnt the majority of exit polling from Thursday night say they came primarily for the action though?  If Wright was the only draw on OD and previews, then wouldn't the polling reflect on that?

You're assuming there isn't a heavy overlap in those areas.

Look, I have no idea whether it'll catch on in a big way or not. All I'm saying is that using Cinemascore for a director with a fanbase that's known to rush out and see his movies at their first opportunity is not a good way to gauge the reaction of the general public. We seem to go through this with every single Wright movie. (He's not the only one, of course).

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, do you see a trend?

I'm not saying the movie won't develop legs, but he's got a niche group of fans -- always the ones heavily targeted in marketing or special sneak screenings like SXSW -- who always rush out to see his movies immediately.

Nobody ever learns with Wright.... any director with a niche fan base has a frontloaded previews to full day ratio and sometimes total. I am rooting for Baby to put up good numbers but the fan rush will be legit for the first couple of days. 

• Like 5

We are all hoping for a nice breakout but this is probably going to be a niche film.  I concur with what Tele is saying.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Nobody ever learns with Wright.... any director with a niche fan base has a frontloaded previews to full day ratio and sometimes total. I am rooting for Baby to put up good numbers but the fan rush will be legit for the first couple of days. 

That's why I was hesitant to talk about the late night numbers as if they were the be-all end-all even though I think they were good. It's still early so the movie could do 6-7mil for all we know. But if it does 5 something that's going to be indicative of front loading. That doesn't mean that the word of mouth isn't good and things won't pick up but that will show front loading.

• Like 5

So update Baby Driver picked up HUGE here tonight for the late night shows just now. I thought it would be the type of movie that could do pretty decent for a late night crowd but it was crazy busy surprisingly.

5.1M (without the 2.1 previews) so idk hopefully that means West Coast could pick it up to 6+ after all

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, do you see a trend?

I'm not saying the movie won't develop legs, but he's got a niche group of fans -- always the ones heavily targeted in marketing or special sneak screenings like SXSW -- who always rush out to see his movies immediately.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

The GA didn't go to previews or OD of BABY DRIVER. The A- is basically from Wright fans (for what it's worth).

You saw this on opening day...

• Like 7

Saw Baby Driver. I am both entertained and disappointed. Some bonkers setpieces, excellent directing and editing, great supporting cast, terrific soundtrack, funny....but Ansel Elgort is 1000 ton weight around this movies neck. One of the most bland, vacant lead characters I can remember. He's not even "bad, but the way the part is written, it needs someone with tons of charisma and likability to fill it in. Elgort just doesn't have it (IMO and all that). He's just so bland, and it makes Baby so bland, so I didn't care about what happened to him at all. And without that investment, it's just a bunch of super well directed action scenes. There's a version of this movie with Taron Egerton or Emory Cohen or John Boyega playing Baby that could have been a genuine summer classic, but I just didn't get into it because of that, sadly. James, who I like, was pretty damn boring in this too. Just a bland pair of leads that really hold down a great movie. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm a believer -- whether Wrightly or wrongly :rofl: -- that there's a huge overlap between the two, though.

Ohhhhh!

Is this like how JW2 wasn't going to get a 3x because of the fan rush on opening weekend?  Not just the John Wickkans out there, but general action fans?

:P

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw Baby Driver. I am both entertained and disappointed. Some bonkers setpieces, excellent directing and editing, great supporting cast, terrific soundtrack, funny....but Ansel Elgort is 1000 ton weight around this movies neck. One of the most bland, vacant lead characters I can remember. He's not even "bad, but the way the part is written, it needs someone with tons of charisma and likability to fill it in. Elgort just doesn't have it (IMO and all that). He's just so bland, and it makes Baby so bland, so I didn't care about what happened to him at all. And without that investment, it's just a bunch of super well directed action scenes. There's a version of this movie with Taron Egerton or Emory Cohen or John Boyega playing Baby that could have been a genuine summer classic, but I just didn't get into it because of that, sadly. James, who I like, was pretty damn boring in this too. Just a bland pair of leads that really hold down a great movie. 

Gah, that's the same problem I had with Scott Pilgrim.

• Like 6