Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Of course none of the films are a Zootopia or especially a Dory. None of the films except Lego Batman has had a Zootopia style critical reception or had trailers that looked as good/appealing as Zootopia's trailers. Lego Batman was too niche to capitalize on it's reviews.

Ah, Lego Batman. 

I watched it again on a flight recently and turned it off halfway through. I think that thing worked best as a trailer. 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Of course none of the films are a Zootopia or especially a Dory. None of the films except Lego Batman has had a Zootopia style critical reception or had trailers that looked as good/appealing as Zootopia's trailers. Lego Batman was too niche to capitalize on it's reviews.

If reviews did matter for animation, Boss Baby wouldn't have outgrossed Lego Barman by 200m.

I mean, ignore these clubs I made that won:

Split over 100M

Zootopia over 300M

La La Land over 125M

Alice 2 under 120M 150M

Neighbors 2 under 70M

The BFG under 80M

Also, I was mentioned as being the highest predictor of Split in BOP's weekend report (don't believe them? Go to the Derby and you'll see): http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-split-bowls-strike-w-40-1m-xxx-return-xander-cage-caged-w-20-0m-rogue-one-crosses-1b-globally/

Don't say I'm one of the worst predictors on here because I rarely top the Derby or am pessimistic about Illumination/WW/whatever

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Split over 100M

Zootopia over 300M

La La Land over 125M

Alice 2 under 120M 150M

Neighbors 2 under 70M

The BFG under 80M

Also, I was mentioned as being the highest predictor of Split in BOP's weekend report (don't believe them? Go to the Derby and you'll see): http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-split-bowls-strike-w-40-1m-xxx-return-xander-cage-caged-w-20-0m-rogue-one-crosses-1b-globally/

Don't say I'm one of the worst predictors on here because I rarely top the Derby or am pessimistic about Illumination/WW/whatever

you have 6 successful clubs? am envious. still languishing at 2.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, a2knet said:

you have 5 successful clubs? am envious. still languishing at 2.

6, actually! My only 3 misses are The Martian over Gravity DOM, DMTNT over OST DOM, and The Mummy under Mummy Return's OW.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why did people think that The House would be a hit again? As it got closer I thought we could all agree that it was looking like an epic dud for WB.

It seemed like horrifically bad marketing to me, which was probably due to poor quality of film. They knew they had a stinker with test audiences and just did the bare minimum to get it out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Split over 100M

Zootopia over 300M

La La Land over 125M

Alice 2 under 120M 150M

Neighbors 2 under 70M

The BFG under 80M

I never talked in general.

I talked specifically about Illumination.

And yet again you completely miss or ignore the point I was trying to make from the start.

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

It seemed like horrifically bad marketing to me, which was probably due to poor quality of film. They knew they had a stinker with test audiences and just did the bare minimum to get it out.

Indeed the marketing was horrible and yet I saw some saying that it wasn't. I didn't even know that the film existed until a few weeks ago.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

TOMATO LAW came through in the past couple days.

TOMATO LAW is doing nothing here. The movie is fresh in the 60s, a movie in the mixed range (lets say 40-70 range) will do good numbers with the persons it appeals to, but not expand that audience. The big problem here was the mixed WOM from Minions and the weak marketing with no new appealing hook.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Secret Life of Pets made 5.3/104.3 (Mult 19.68)

Minions 6.2/115.3 (Mult 18.59)

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=425235

and Cars3 was 53.7/2.8 = 19.18

SLOP gives DM3 81

MINIONS gives DM3 76

CARS3 gives 79

The 4th of July on Tuesday kind of mucks up this whole weekend, but the comparisons tell the tale. It's certainly probable DM3 doesn't open with much more than $70M this weekend.

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why did people think that The House would be a hit again? As it got closer I thought we could all agree that it was looking like an epic dud for WB.

I saw zero reason for it to be successful. The movie itself looked awful. I had no idea it was coming out this weekend until folks were talking about it in the tracking thread. To me at least, I always thought it would flop 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I never talked in general.

I talked specifically about Illumination.

And yet again you completely miss or ignore the point I was trying to make from the start.

Sorry about that.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

6, actually! My only 3 misses are The Martian over Gravity DOM, DMTNT over OST DOM, and The Mummy under Mummy Return's OW.

Still amazing that it will be somewhat close: 75-76 vs 68-69

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, a2knet said:

CARS3 did 2.8. Same multi gives 79 ow.

PETS did 5.6 or 5.7 I think. DM3 being a sequel seems bad when compared to PETS as far as 100+ ow is concerned but animation previews have been less reliable than non-animations I guess when it comes to portending the weekend box office.

People are delaying to watch because they got more options with loooong 4th of July weekend.

I have never watched a Despicable Me movie and I haven't had the strong urge to so I don't know what the series is exactly. I know what the series is about but I've never watched any of the movies.  I just know that my baby nephews like it and they really love the minions characters.

I'm guessing it's just a Shrek situation where they went back to the well one too many times and the film series probably hasn't been good since the second one. That's my guess but I haven't watched any of the movies, so I can't make a comment on whether what I'm saying is true. That is my guess though.