AniNate

What is a "kids movie"?

This is a subject I've been thinking about in the wake of Despicable Me 3's opening weekend and some of the pretty vicious arguments that have spawned out of it which tended to consist of one side which thinks all films should be evaluated more or less the same and another who thinks that movies like Despicable Me aren't "serious" enough to warrant the kind of passionate negative feelings people can have when they hate more "adult" movies. 

I guess this question has multiple layers to it: Do you consider the label to apply to any movie with kids as a primary audience (that is, include stuff like Disney, most Pixar, younger skewing Spielberg movies like ET and BFG) or do you think it applies only when they're "solely" for kids with movies like Cars or Despicable Me. And either way do you think "kids movies" call for the same kind of serious evaluation and passion that adult movies get? 

I certainly have my own views on this but I'm curious what everyone else thinks of this issue independent of how well the movies do at the box office.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Kids movies is easier to type than family movies :lol: I normally just refer to anything aimed primarily at kids a kids movie. They are the main target audience despite how deep some can get.

I agree, and I don't think there's even a point making a distinction. Even if a film isn't aimed at adults per se it doesn't necessarily have to be a deep philosophical meditation to entertain them. There are movies and TV shows that execute juvenile slapstick and broad moralizing really well and others that do it really poorly and I think they ought to be judged on such criteria regardless of who is making the judgment.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

This is a subject I've been thinking about in the wake of Despicable Me 3's opening weekend and some of the pretty vicious arguments that have spawned out of it which tended to consist of one side which thinks all films should be evaluated more or less the same and another who thinks that movies like Despicable Me aren't "serious" enough to warrant the kind of passionate negative feelings people can have when they hate more "adult" movies. 

No need to get overly excited about how much you hate a kid's movie, or any movie at all.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

No need to get overly excited about how much you hate a kid's movie, or any movie at all.

Well, the value of hating any movie at all is a subject for a different debate but generally when movies people hate disappoint at the box office no one thinks twice about condoning it; but when it comes to kids franchises there seems to be this sense that they're "victims" of "evil animation snobs" who "hate fun".