CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Spiderman-720x1066.jpg

The time has come. We are all gathered here to celebrate the return of Spider-Man to the MCU. And I know we all want to enjoy it together and have a good time. And while the BAN HAMMER will most certainly drop, I am sure most of the time it will be cool and fun to hang around in this thread.

This weekend, posting a spoiler will result in an immediate Box Office Discussion Forum ban. You will not be given a warning. 

DO NOT POST SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS UNDER SPOILER TAGS. DISCUSS SPOILERS HERE:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24326-spider-man-homecoming-spoiler-thread-discuss-peters-shocking-death-by-impalement-here-there-are-real-spoilers-here-dont-click-it-if-you-havent-seen-it/?page=1

This goes for all new releases usually but this is a huge weekend and we will not tolerate any spoilers what so ever for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

We're looking forward to a great weekend and we realize the over-excitement (or meltdowns) can cause the thread to go off topic. We will be allowing everyone to post freely as long as the off topic discussions don't go overboard. I understand some of you, like me, like Pokemon, wonder about Tele's age or what the fuck is going on in the new season of Twin Peaks, but please, try to keep things on topic most of the time.

I assume we are gonna have a Summer Sale, but @Water Bottle is the one that will give all the details about that later this week.

Keep it neutral, and keep it to a numbers discussion, and you'll be fine. If it becomes something other than that, you risk a temporary ban. So, tread lightly, please.

@baumer is providing a one month Gold account to whoever gets the OD the closest. Deadline for predictions - midnight tonight. Please PM Baumer with your predicts.

• Like 8

I just cant see Spidey going under 100M. Im expecting 105M on the low end and 125M on the high end.

Sucks that it comes out on the 14th here. I wanna see it NOW :sadben:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You see it yet?

Yup, went to the first show of the day. Absolutely loved it. It is very charming, great performances, cool surprises and a ton of fun.

• Like 14

Spider-man Homecoming will open in the $120M range. 

The sell out count in this area is huge. Based on other $100M OW for other films, it's selling way above those films that I just can't see a $100M OW for this. It being front loaded is being taken into account with my analysis. 

Plus the WOM is very very good for this. 

Prepare yourselves folks. 

Spidey is coming. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 11

Man, SMH is just not selling well in the areas I track (North Miami area and D.C.) in relative terms. It's at about half of Wonder Woman in both areas at reserved seats, and this is despite having more showings in South Florida at the time. I've been skeptical about the buzz for this for awhile, but it could be that buzz in the two areas where I have alot of seeds is just inexplicably lower than the rest of the country. But even my many, many NYC friends are ehhhhh compared to something like Wondy or Suicide Squad. I don't know why sales would be so much lower in comparison to WW in South Florida and D.C. if that wasn't also the case elsewhere. It's at 175/380 at my two theaters for tonight, whereas Wonder Woman was at 280/350. D.C., the count is even lower (I lost my WW exact figure). I'm thinking 95m still.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I still think this is going to be pretty front-loaded. Iron Man and Spider-Man creates a fan rush.

It's tracking along SS in NYC Thur Previews as of yesterday and I can't see it being as front loaded as that (with it's T Mobile free tickets just for Thur) at 6.52x  But even if it was more front loaded than that it would look  to do over $120m unless it's just massively over performing in NYC and other locations.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Really? Why?

Hopefully pre-sales spike today. 

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

Thanks to Deep Wang, we have an update.

SMH still running at about 45% of the presales of Guardians 2, no Wonder Woman comp was provided for Wednesday, but based on the WW comp which was provided for Thursday, I would say they are still running at the same pace. The WW figure provided on Thursday is about 2M more than the SMH Wednesday figure, but based on the increase from Tuesday, I think they will end at roughly the exact same number.

• Like 1