CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I might try to fit in a rewatch of the Raimi movies Saturday morning before I see this. There's something intangible about those movies I can't put a finger on. They feel like BLOCKBUSTERS. The tone, the music, the style all blend together to create an epic, truly blockbuster cinematic experience. I can't explain in words why, but they just feel bigger than movies do today. The way they create a universe and stakes combined with how they were shot to feel like the biggest thing you'd see on screen in years. That's my problem with the MCU, DCU, SWU, XU, etc...even at their very best, they feel kind of like high-end TV episodes instead of large-scale blockbusters, despite their budgets. This is probably the biggest compliment I'd pay Wonder Woman, for what it's worth. 

Yeah. Can't disagree with this. But, still hyped for Spidey after the disappointment of the prior three for me. But, yeah, Raimi did an unreal job of making Peter/Spidey's world and obstacles in that world - whether a villain, coming clean to his aunt, letting MJ know his identity - feel enormous and enormously important.

• Like 3

I hate that Spider-Man 2 and TASM both opened mid-week. I generally hate that unless it's Xmas. Makes it impossible for me to put the numbers into context, because I can't really tell what they would have done over a three day. Would SM2 have hit 130? Would TASM have hit 110? I mean I wouldn't use them for comparisons years on but still they'd provide valuable context like "A Spider-Man never did under 114 OW until TASM2" something. Frustrated me in my earlier days on BOM with Transformers 2, HPB, and Eclipse, too. Just open on a Friday!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

amazing that the first Spider-Man from 2002 is still the highest grossing superhero origin movies both domestic and worldwide

Even though Superman the Movie and Batman 89 are no slouches.

Both are in the 500's adjusted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Didn't SS have an inflated weekend due to some T-Mobile deal? So if SPID6 is matching it's previews, it might not necessarily match the ow.

It did and that's why it dipped  so hard Saturday and Sunday. I don't think that will be the case with a family friendly flick like Spidey. I'll stand by my prediction of $141M OW. But, deep down, I'm starting to believe something just under $125M is more likely for and OW DOM here.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I hate that Spider-Man 2 and TASM both opened mid-week. I generally hate that unless it's Xmas. Makes it impossible for me to put the numbers into context, because I can't really tell what they would have done over a three day. Would SM2 have hit 130? Would TASM have hit 110? I mean I wouldn't use them for comparisons years on but still they'd provide valuable context like "A Spider-Man never did under 114 OW until TASM2" something. Frustrated me in my earlier days on BOM with Transformers 2, HPB, and Eclipse, too. Just open on a Friday!

Spider-man 2 would've easily done $135M+ in my opinion. Maybe even just over $140M+. The hype was bonkers and positive buzz from critics was even more bonkers, unlike the buzz for critics that we saw coming into Spidey 3.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I might try to fit in a rewatch of the Raimi movies Saturday morning before I see this. There's something intangible about those movies I can't put a finger on. They feel like BLOCKBUSTERS. The tone, the music, the style all blend together to create an epic, truly blockbuster cinematic experience. I can't explain in words why, but they just feel bigger than movies do today. The way they create a universe and stakes combined with how they were shot to feel like the biggest thing you'd see on screen in years. That's my problem with the MCU, DCU, SWU, XU, etc...even at their very best, they feel kind of like high-end TV episodes instead of large-scale blockbusters, despite their budgets. This is probably the biggest compliment I'd pay Wonder Woman, for what it's worth. 

I'd take my Avengers and Deadpool crowd experience over SM2 and WW any day of the week.

So agree to disagree.

Edited by grey ghost

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It did and that's why it dipped  so hard Saturday and Sunday. I don't think that will be the case with a family friendly flick like Spidey. I'll stand by my prediction of $141M OW. But, deep down, I'm starting to believe something just under $125M is more likely for and OW DOM here.

That's what I meant. Remove T-Mobile deal from SS's Friday and make that Spidey's Friday. Then the same Sat and Sun as SS (so the drop from Friday is normal). Basically (SS OW - TMobile Schtick)

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Spider-man 2 would've easily done $135M+ in my opinion. Maybe even just over $140M+. The hype was bonkers and positive buzz from critics was even more bonkers, unlike the buzz for critics that we saw coming into Spidey 3.

I tend to think it would have set a record that DMC wouldn't have caught, and even Spidey 3 would have barely eclipsed. Might have stood a chance of standing until TDK. Then again, if Sith had released on a Friday, it might have had a TDK level opening that doesn't get beat till Potter. This is why I wish they had opened on Friday - we'll never know.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'd take my Avengers and Deadpool crowd experience over SM2 and WW any day of the week.

So agree to disagree.

I'm not talking crowd experience here. I'm thinking something bigger, more intangible. These movies are now essentially a patchwork of quips and Easter Eggs stiched together so you better have an opening crowd going wild. That's pretty much the purpose of how these movies are now constructed.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I tend to think it would have set a record that DMC wouldn't have caught, and even Spidey 3 would have barely eclipsed. Might have stood a chance of standing until TDK. Then again, if Sith had released on a Friday, it might have had a TDK level opening that doesn't get beat till Potter. This is why I wish they had opened on Friday - we'll never know.

I agree with what's in bold print. Yup. So annoyed with all  the Potter flicks that opened on Wednesday too. Half Blood Prince would've had a crazy OW DOM with a Friday rollout as well. It released just as the last Potter book dropped. Hype was nuts. $150M+ OW DOM or close to it.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not talking crowd experience here. I'm thinking something bigger, more intangible. These movies are now essentially a patchwork of quips and Easter Eggs stiched together so you better have an opening crowd going wild. That's pretty much the purpose of how these movies are now constructed.

Nah

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I might try to fit in a rewatch of the Raimi movies Saturday morning before I see this. There's something intangible about those movies I can't put a finger on. They feel like BLOCKBUSTERS. The tone, the music, the style all blend together to create an epic, truly blockbuster cinematic experience. I can't explain in words why, but they just feel bigger than movies do today. The way they create a universe and stakes combined with how they were shot to feel like the biggest thing you'd see on screen in years.

I had the exact experience you're describing watching the finale of the first Avengers.  Probably the best theater experience I've had in the last five years.  Pure moviegoing magic.

• Like 1