Plain Old Tele

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Spider-Man: Homecoming is the first MCU film (or really, superhero film in a while) to really tackle secret identities. The dramatic double lives that used to be synonymous with the genre have all but disappeared in recent years, and this does it better than any superhero movie since the Raimi trilogy. The choice to be Spider-Man weighs down this Peter, and although we never hear the famous line, the struggle of great responsibility is always evident in the film.

This is also the first superhero movie, or even modern blockbuster in general, to really feel like it takes place in a high school. The young cast is ridiculously strong, and it seems as though the studio plans having a consistent supporting cast in these films, which is truly exciting. Holland proves that his Civil War performance wasn't a fluke, feeling effortlessly like Peter Parker. Keaton elevates the role of Vulture, although he's simply a good villain, nothing great but more than serviceable. The script is its strongest aspect, being effortlessly funny and surprisingly heartfelt in its depictions of young love and awkward high school days.

That's why it's so crushing when the MCU elements come crashing in. Sure, Tony and Peter's dynamic is fun, but it's not worth interrupting Peter's story with fanservice moments or quirky in-jokes from other films. The third act also continues the genre's disappointing streak, being incoherently shot and ridiculously dark in color. It's near impossible to see anything that is going on, and that's just mediocre. Really, there's only one good action scene, and that's the only one that shows us something we've never seen with the character.

The retreaded moments, either from other Spider-Man or MCU films, just hurt so much when they occur, because it seems clear the rest of the film is trying so hard to avoid them. Giacchino's score is also shockingly mediocre, as his theme just feels like he played around a bit with the cartoon's theme and left it at that. More creativity there would've been appreciated.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a solid entry for the amazing hero in the MCU. A smaller scale and a focus on high school really help makes it stick out of the crowd of superhero movies despite the other generic elements. It's certainly a fun movie though, and one that finally gives Spider-Man his first good movie in over a decade. That, more than anything else, makes it well worth seeing. B

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2

Repost

On 7/8/2017 at 4:40 PM, MrGamer2558 said:

Saw it a couple of hours ago and I enjoyed it a lot. Don't know if it's my favorite Spider-Man movie, but I will say it's in my Top 5 MCU movies. Holland and Keaton make it special. The little things make it stand out a lot more than most Marvel films. I wasn't as high on it as I was with Wonder Woman (just some nitpicky things), but I'll still give it a 9/10. 

Spider-Man: Homecoming falls right alongside Ant-Man and Doctor Strange as a dully directed Marvel beginning with a few positives that make it stand out. This go-around, it's clearly Keaton and Holland, who deliver some of the MCU's best performances yet. Holland's Peter is vulnerable in the best sense and the Vulture is clearly more nuanced because of Keaton's strong performance, rather than the writing. The high school stuff is fun too, although it doesn't make the film stand out as much as has been spoken.

That said, I will give my apologies to the third act, which in my last review I said was "mediocre". In actuality, the third act is what finally gave me what I want out of Spidey: an underdog who always does the right thing, no matter how much the personal cost. The score also flows better on rewatch, although the theme is still pretty average. The clear highlight of the film all-around is the Washington Monument setpiece, which is both rooted in strong character and a pretty exciting watch.

Too bad the rest of the movie lacks style or even a personal touch. Holland tries his best but he's really the only exemplary aspect to be found in this sub-franchise (since Keaton likely won't return for Spider-Man: Junior Prom). Watts, much like Derrickson and Reed before him, doesn't know how to shoot action, or even try to make this look remotely cinematic in any way. In spite of these shortcoming, Spider-Man: Homecoming is still a fun watch, but ultimately disappoints because it really should be a much better film, rather than just a blockbuster that'll be forgotten within a few months. B-

• Like 1

Not as bad as I feared. It took itself a little bit more seriously than the usual Marvel joke fest and that went a long way in not making me bored the hell out of my mind. Lack of mind-numbingly boring CGI setpieces might have helped, too. 

Also, I laughed twice! which is more than I can say for Thor and Guardians. The Skimpy and 'Couldn't lose another student... on a school trip' jokes had me rolling.

Still, it's not particularly good or memorable, and I can't with Holland's Peter fake childlike wonder. Ned can go as well.

5/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I didn't mind the too many avengers connections, it fitted with Peter Parker and New York in general to live in the shadow of the Avengers since the battle of NY has become the 9/11 of this universe. In hindsight the Tony-Peter relationship was mostly set up that wouldn't pay off until Infinity War but it's well done. Tom Holland and the entire high school cast is also very well done and pretty much the biggest strenght of the movie. Young Hot Mae is cool and Keaton was fine, not exactly a villain to remember but the twist and the drive to the prom is the best and most tense scene in the movie.

The biggest flaw though is that despite all those good things the direction is so uninspired it brings the whole movie down a lot. “This looks like a TV episode with bigger budget” has been a common diss directed at various Marvel movies, but this one deserves it more than most. I don't have any opinion on Watts, but based on this movie he sucks bigtime. Maybe he can make a serviceable sequel, but why not a great sequel with someone else?

B-.

Action and fun/gags were ok but the movie fell flat for me on the emotional side, neither the Peter/Liz nor Peter/Tony nor Peter/May relationships felt "real". In that respect, what a waste of Marisa Tomei who is one of the most capable actresses atm and whom they made play a role that's so thin it's barely there at all.

The "story" was ok and well paced, the tie-in into the MCU worked (good idea, those scrappers) - overall B, 7/10