Finnick

Tuesday Numbers: SMH 15M, DM3 6.7M, BD 2.29M, WW 1.64M

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Odd that SMH seems to be having no effect on WW at all. Playing to different demos?

‘Wonder Woman’: Female and Older Moviegoers Powered Box Office, New Study Shows

“‘Wonder Woman’s’ audience evolved in a similar manner as most blockbusters but with some trends notably magnified,” noted Matthew Liebmann, Movio’s senior VP for the Americas. “While the female and 50+ segments of the audience generally grow over the course of the run, ‘Wonder Woman’s’ female audience nearly reached parity with the male audience by the third week.”

He noted that strong reviews and word-of mouth drove its impressive performance after opening weekend. Liebmann told Variety that it’s unprecedented for a superhero tentpole movie to reach male-female parity at any point of its run — due to propensity of male moviegoers to support those titles. The average superhero movie draws a 62% male audience. “Even ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’ which had a strong female lead with Daisy Ridley, never got closer than 56-44 male,” Liebman said.

He noted that the audience share for moviegoers over 50 increased from 12% to 22% over the first weeks — 20% higher than other tentpoles.

And 22% of “Wonder Woman” viewers are infrequent moviegoers (who see one to four films a year), compared to a 16% average for that group.

Movio’s data also showed that average number of admissions per purchase for “Wonder Woman” was well above average.

“That says to me that there was an increase in parents taking their children to see the film,” Liebmann added. “It wasn’t just the female audience that made this film a hit.”

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

While this run is obviously nothing like MBFGW's, it does have some similarities.  When Greek Wedding was doing it's thing, it brought out all kinds of people that perhaps don't go to the movies often or ever.

Can confirm.  My now 100-year-old grandfather went to see Wonder Woman.  I believe the last film he saw in theaters was Winter Soldier.

Clearly, my grandpa only goes to see films featuring heroes older than he is.  

(I actually think he's got Steve Rogers by a year.)

• Like 19

3 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Can confirm.  My now 100-year-old grandfather went to see Wonder Woman.  I believe the last film he saw in theaters was Winter Soldier.

100?

Wow!  That's impressive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Your grandfather was a baby when WW1 ended and a youth during WW2.

He is watching the right heroes :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

While this run is obviously nothing like MBFGW's, it does have some similarities.  When Greek Wedding was doing it's thing, it brought out all kinds of people that perhaps don't go to the movies often or ever.  I mentioned this once years ago when discussing the film in that I saw the film with my Portuguese wife (who went to the movies about once every 5 years...one of the multitude of reasons we aren't together anymore), both of her parents, who didn't speak English perfectly and had never been to a movie in the 14 years we were together, and our two kids.  So it brought out a lot of people who could relate to the theme of immigrant parents and their kids marrying munga cakes (the white guy).  

Perhaps WW is doing something similar.  There has to be an explanation for the unheard legs WW is displaying.  My guess is there's older women and perhaps even older men going to see this movie who perhaps never or rarely go to the theater.  It would at least explain why the legs have not just been good but unheard of for a superhero film.

MBFGW is the most relatable movie I have ever seen. Everytime it's on the cable, my whole Balkan family gathers to watch&laugh together even though each one of us has seen it like 10 times already. It perfectly captures male-female relationships among the minorities producing iconic moments like:

-Are you hungry, Ian?

-No

-Okay, I'll make you some lamb :D

+plus the  tension when someone say they're vegan in the middle of the feast. "HE DON'T EAT NO MEAT ?!''

Edited by Southern European Guy
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Southern European Guy said:

MBFGW is the most relatable movie I have ever seen. Everytime it's on the cable, my whole Balkan family gathers to watch&laugh together even though each one of us has seen it like 10 times already. It perfectly captures male-female relationships among the minorities producing iconic moments like:

-Are you hungry, Ian?

-No

-Okay, I'll make you some lamb :D

I concur with everything you said here.  We also laughed every time we watched it.  The observations in it are just so perfect.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

At least he's not a virgin!

Seems to be a $15.2M Tuesday according to DHD:

Homecoming as well should keep concession sales churning as well for exhibitors with a second weekend estimated between $50M-$53M, down 55%-57%. The Marvel movie has been posting great daily business with $27.4M alone made between Monday and Tuesday and a running five-day cume of $144.3M. 

• Like 4

SPIDER-MAN HOMCOMING TUESDAY Box Office With $15.2M, UP 24/25% /TOTAL:$144.3M (DEADLINE)

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-spider-man-homecoming-wish-upon-weekend-box-office-1202127211/

Homecoming as well should keep concession sales churning as well for exhibitors with a second weekend estimated between $50M-$53M, down 55%-57%. The Marvel movie has been posting great daily business with $27.4M alone made between Monday and Tuesday and a running five-day cume of $144.3M.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Finnick said:

SPIDER-MAN HOMCOMING TUESDAY Box Office With $15.2M, UP 24/25% /TOTAL:$144.3M (DEADLINE)

http://deadline.com/2017/07/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-spider-man-homecoming-wish-upon-weekend-box-office-1202127211/

Homecoming as well should keep concession sales churning as well for exhibitors with a second weekend estimated between $50M-$53M, down 55%-57%. The Marvel movie has been posting great daily business with $27.4M alone made between Monday and Tuesday and a running five-day cume of $144.3M.

Slightly bigger increase than Ant Man. Good number.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Solid. I thought it'd jump around 25% and it did.

• Like 2