WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

2 minutes ago, superduperm said:

When you people say "looked" I can't tell if you mean "I watched it and this is how I feel about it" or "Based on what I saw in trailers, television spots, etc. this is how I feel about it"

Just based on the marketing. It definitely had the "oh its another Apes movie" vibe to it. Quality looks great based on critics. But general audiences respond to marketing more than critical response.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

I think Moana might have done $300M+ if they released it this summer to be honest instead of Cars 3.

That's a true statement...WW would probably not be as close to $400M, but Moana could have been enormous in the spot since it had girl appeal in a summer with very little...and it would have stayed and stayed in the theaters...

Just now, YourMother said:

I think Moana might have done $300M+ if they released it this summer to be honest instead of Cars 3.

Disney doesn't seem to want to release a WDAS film in summer. Pixar seems to get priority 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Disney doesn't seem to want to release a WDAS film in summer. Pixar seems to get priority 

I think they got used to having a Pixar movie every summer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I guess it's franchise fatigue is the main reason for lower numbers even for praised installments like Homecoming (in a way) and Apes. I mean look at DM3, on paper it looked exactly like Shrek, it had a breakout original, overperforming sequel, and disappointing threequel (if you count Minions) that causes adults without kids to become uninterested. Cars, Transformers, Alien, and Pirates dealt with numerous unsatisfactory predecessors and were still unsatisfactory to the GA causing underperformance and fatigue. Apes and Mummy looked more of the same, and Homecoming dealt with 3 mixed to bad movies in a row. I think without Iron Man, Homecoming would have done Doctor Strange numbers both domestically and worldwide. Even Wonder Woman had a deflated OW due to past DCEU films but was a WOM phenomenon. Homecoming and Apes will have solid legs but if Homecoming had a better position and Apes looked more different I think both could have done much bigger numbers.

Will be interesting to see what happens next summer when it's one sequel or spin-off week after week. Given the franchise's trajectory, I think the Bumblebee movie could logistically miss $75M total.

Spider-Man: Homecoming has not underperformed. People should stop saying that movies underperformed just because they had horribly unrealistic expectations for them. The goal was over 300 million and it should get that.

Yes Apes is currently underperforming but the idea that everything underperformed because my outrageous expectations weren't met is just silly.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Infinity War although I think will open to $200M+ will be even more frontloaded than CW. Not because the GA doesn't like but it's more like Deathly Hallows Part 2. There's so much movies and heroes the GA will be confused about and even though you may not have to watch most MCU films, the GA may be feel worn out and have a burnout. The fans and most of the GA rush out OW and then the film collapses. 

IW's run will be fascinating to watch. I can't imagine a casual moviegoer not being lost with so many characters, relationships, and plotline references to get, but then again, at this point, the MCU loyal fanbase is so large, the film may not need anyone but fans to be a massive hit.

• Like 3

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Spider-Man: Homecoming has not underperformed. People should stop saying that movies underperformed just because they had horribly unrealistic expectations for them. The goal was over 300 million and it should get that.

Yes Apes is currently underperforming but the idea that everything underperformed because my outrageous expectations weren't met is just silly.

I meant In a way I meant for those who overpredicted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I think they got used to having a Pixar movie every summer.

Lasseter probably doesn't to see WDAS take the mid June slot. Even when TGD was delayed, they simply shifted Maleficent forward two months

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

IW's run will be fascinating to watch. I can't imagine a casual moviegoer not being lost with so many characters, relationships, and plotline references to get, but then again, at this point, the MCU loyal fanbase is so large, the film may not need anyone but fans to be a massive hit.

I have a feeling Disney will also make a 23 minute "this is where we are" special that will run on ABC in primetime a week before opening and then rerun the Saturday night before opening and that will be available "on demand" for free...they seem to love these specials before certain blockbusters (the whole "celebration of X") and they are very effective for getting folks who are interested in the new movie up to speed...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Bodes really well for The Batman IMO.

It's now my most anticipated DC movie after this.  I cannot believe what I saw in here.  It's unreal that a major blockbuster takes as many risks as this one did.  Brilliant.  Fucking amazing.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Will be interesting to see what happens next summer when it's one sequel or spin-off week after week. Given the franchise's trajectory, I think the Bumblebee movie could logistically miss $75M total.

Lmao I think 75M is best case scenario tbh. I think it does 50M total or so.

3 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Avengers (IM Team) + Secret Avengers (Caps Teams) + GOTG > 200M+ opening easily...

Possibly, hell probably, but we seem to want to overestimate MCU films every single time. (and then wonder why it didn't hit some lofty goal or Avengers #)

Edited by AdamKendall

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Lmao I think 75M is best case scenario tbh. I think it does 50M total or so.

Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 will completely obliterate its legs even if it's decent.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I meant In a way I meant for those who overpredicted.

Well yes for those who overpredicted it, it did underperform but there's just a thing with Marvel movies where people just predict outrageous numbers almost setting themselves up for disappointment for some odd reason. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is going to open up with 190mil, Spider-Man's going to do 150mil.

I'm in an over Gravity club for "It," do you really think that I'm going to call "It" a disappointment if it goes under Gravity's numbers? Of course not. I just wish people would separate their unrealistic expectations from the real expectations.. for instance a realistic expectation for War for the Planet of the Apes would be 60 - 70 million I think but an unrealistic expectation would be it's going to break the opening weekend record because it's reviews are the Dark Knight level. 

Just now, AdamKendall said:

Possibly, hell probably, but we seem to want to overestimate MCU films every single time. (and then wonder why it didn't hit some lofty goal)

This is true. This year I think we're seeing it more due to the amount of team up/ensemble movies.