WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I knew something was off. The Tomato Law can't be stopped. War for the Planet of the Apes has leaked online in DVD quality. The Tomato can't fight the piracy, unfortunately. Dumb American people.

tumblr_ny2ve4LAn01txgvyko1_400.gif

The law is dead. Bury it.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I knew something was off. The Tomato Law can't be stopped. War for the Planet of the Apes has leaked online in DVD quality. The Tomato can't fight the piracy, unfortunately. Dumb American people.

The Piracy Law overrules the Tomato Law.  Sad!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Doesn't seem that outrageous. How many summer blockbuster took place in a winter setting and made over 150 million. 

Batman Returns broke the opening weekend record with a June release and a Christmas setting in the movie. 

• Like 3

Just came back from Apes. It's the best of the trilogy, and one of the most ambitious blockbusters made in terms of the themes presented and the way they were executed. A dazzling conclusion that I'm sure will be appreciated more with time. 

• Like 15

Just now, Lestranger said:

How long did it take you to find that? Touche. 

No time at all. The Burton Batman movies are two of my favorite movies ever made. And as a Batman fan, it's pretty easy to remember that the first 3 movies in the franchise all set the opening weekend record. 

17 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Assuming it gets $2M today and gets near $7M this weekend, I'd say it has a 60% chance at $400M.

That would mean it will have less than $20 million to go after this weekend. There's no way it misses it.

• Like 1

I don't understand the worries over this number for Apes. The numbers are pretty in-line for the franchise and I think are indicative of a third installment that's solidified itself as a strongly adult-leaning film. Previous installments:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Budget: $93mil

OW: $54.8mil

DOM: $176.8

MULTI: x3.23

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Budget: $170mil

OW: $72.6mil

DOM: $208.5mil

MULTI: 2.87

War of the Planet of the Apex

Budget: $150mil

OW: $50mil

DOM: ?

MULTI: ?

Clearly the studio expected the drop and compensated with the lower budget. Neither of the first two Apes movies actually broke out big but did just solid business. I think this is basically a case of a solid series of movies receiving a third solid installment to close it out. As anticipated (at least by myself), this is going to be just another solid if unspectacular performance for a good series that will likely live on for a very long time through syndication, video, etc. The same goes for Dunkirk next week, which will be fueled by Nolan's solid fanbase regular Nolan-like numbers but is highly unlikely to break out big.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

That is depressing and Apes is a better movie than Spidey 

Not gonna lie. The title and marketing material is too on the nose. But I bought a ticket for a Sunday show. At least I can say I did my part to help it retain as many people from the Apes 2 opening a few years ago. 

I haven't watched any Ape War trailers, so I can't speak to the marketing, but I just rewatched Rise and Dawn.

Assuming there are humans in this one, I'm just hoping for a better story featuring them than Dawn.  I don't know that I've ever seen a film following duel tracks with such a wide quality disparity between its two storylines.  

The apes half in Dawn is this amazingly nuanced, heartfelt, powerful depiction of wonderful character dynamics and growth, and the human half is just stagnant, dull, perfunctory, and uninvolving.  It almost sinks the film, IMO.  Rise's power does come mostly from how amazing Caesar's portrayal is, but the humans aren't just dead weight in that film like they are in Dawn.