WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I haven't watched any Ape War trailers, so I can't speak to the marketing, but I just rewatched Rise and Dawn.

Assuming there are humans in this one, I'm just hoping for a better story featuring them than Dawn.  I don't know that I've ever seen a film following duel tracks with such a wide quality disparity between its two storylines.  

The apes half in Dawn is this amazingly nuanced, heartfelt, powerful depiction of wonderful character dynamics and growth, and the human half is just stagnant, dull, perfunctory, and uninvolving.  It almost sinks the film, IMO.  Rise's power does come mostly from how amazing Caesar's portrayal is, but the humans aren't just dead weight in that film like they are in Dawn.

War has some of the best human moments in the series. 

• Like 3

The Shape of Water's teaser is exclusive to theaters this weekend and might stay that way:

Seeing the trailer blind was awesome. I knew right away what it was. It's weird that it's rated R though; nothing in the film looks that dark. I trust in GDT to have some dark shit in there :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I knew something was off. The Tomato Law can't be stopped. War for the Planet of the Apes has leaked online in DVD quality. The Tomato can't fight the piracy, unfortunately. Dumb American people.

I thought DVD rips didnt affect BO

Since we are speaking of marketing, whoever made the tagline for the Fandango Pulse icon for Emoji movie (and the poster of same which I found with other emoji posters) should get fired..."Not easy being Meh"...Christ, this is like asking critics to steal your own tagline to sink you in their reviews..."No actually, it's pretty easy being Meh...this movie sure is"...

Yes, it had a sale lately which is how I saw it...one sale:)...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rth Homecoming said:

Similar #'s to whats already been reported, go  WFTPOTA 20, SMH 14

I guess it's time for me to concede that Homecoming won't be able to reach $60m anymore. Anyways, that's still a good number. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I didn't get the trailer for Shape of Water :sadben: 

I was surprised I got all 3 of Fox's trailers. Normally when a studio give theaters three or more options, they only go with two of them.

10 minutes ago, teardropmina said:

Die Hard 2 got to 117M in 1990, it was pretty huge back in the day. 

God damn, now I feel like I need to know the seasonal breakdown of summer blockbusters: 50% summer, 25% spring, 15% fall, 10% winter. That is my guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, teardropmina said:

deadline

2nd Update, Friday 12:40 PM: 20th Century Fox’s War for the Planet of the Apes is looking more like the trilogy’s first movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Kong: Skull Island in regards to its box office pacing today with $18.5M-$20M including the $5M from last night. Rise made $19.5M on its first day six years ago, while Kong cleared $20.1M back in March. This puts War on a path for $50M-$55M this weekend.

Meanwhile, Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming is estimated to bring in $14M today, -72%, on its way to a $46M-$47M second-place take and a 10-day of $210M. As of now, it’s expected to stay in second place for the weekend.

Illumination/Universal’s Despicable Me 3 will see $7.5M in its third Friday and an estimated third three-day of $21M, taking its cume by Sunday to $190M.

Amazon/Lionsgate’s romantic comedy The Big Sick is estimated at $3M today, $8.5M in its fourth weekend expansion to 2,597 theaters. Cume by Sunday is $16.9M.

Broad Green’s Wish Upon is looking at $1.5M today and $4M for the weekend, per industry estimates.

This was already posted

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not insane...it has more showings per day than Apes at most theaters...and probably about equal seats (since Apes is getting bigger screens usually)...they have been selling neck and neck all day online, but Spidey would probably get more walk ups as the "not just released" option...it probably also gets more "tickets/sale" since Apes purchases are probably all 1-2 tickets at a time, while Spidey could be many more...

If Spider-Man would have done 19, which anybody that has been following the box office or has access to box office numbers knows full well that it was impossible for it to jump up 120 per cent,

Then it would have defied the law of the box office. So yes it is impossible for it to do 19 and 5 minutes after you wrote your post rth came along and confirmed 14 LOL.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

God damn, now I feel like I need to know the seasonal breakdown of summer blockbusters: 50% summer, 25% spring, 15% fall, 10% winter. That is my guess.

Hmm...

Guardians 2 - unidentified

King Arthur - unidentified 

Snatched - summer

Alien: Covenant - unidentified

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - summer

Everything Everything - summer

Pirates - unidentified

Baywatch - summer

Captain Underpants - probably fall, since it's the school year

Wonder Woman - winter

It Comes at Night - unidentified, but probably fall/winter

Megan Leavey - no idea, but probably summer

Mummy - I think it'd be summer

47 Meters Down - summer

All Eyez on Me - multiple seasons

Cars 3 - unidentified

Rough Night - summer

Transformers - unidentified, but probably summer

Despicable Me 3 - probably summer

The House - spring

Baby Driver - probably summer

Spider-Man - fall (school year, around homecoming dance)

War - winter

Wish Upon - probably fall since it takes place during school

Yes, I did actually spend time out of my life to figure this out.  No, I do not have a life.

• Like 3