WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Ok now I' really not sure I understand what people mean by walkup film, is presales going up 70% very low because it is the type of movie people do not pre-buy, but walk up too ?

Walkup film just means more people walk up to buy their tickets instead of buying ahead of time online. This leads to better holds.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Apes preview is just fine considering the lack of buzz I was afraid of it coming in below Dawn. 

As to the TV debate long form beats movies on nearly every front except budget and scale (obvious exceptions to things like GOT.) While I love movies, I really love being able to immerse in a world for more than just a couple of hours. Halfway through season 5 of the Good Wife and its like one of the best examples of traditional long form working well. 

Cinema tells stories visually so much more effectively than television, aside from a few rare exceptions, that it's difficult for me to watch television. Just movement arrangement of pictures, the sound, the sound design, scoring of the music, etc. to me is A LOT more effective than just about all television baring, as I said, a few exceptions.

Twin Peaks and Legion stand out this year, especially Twin Peaks. That's essentially cinema though, especially the 8th episode.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I'm not one of those people, but how exactly does a $5M preview number prove whether or not it's a walk-up film? Shouldn't the OD gross (which we don't have yet) in comparison to the preview gross prove or disprove that?

I'd imagine a better way is presales to tracking expectation for the movie...and whether the number beats the last minute tracking or not...

Last minute tracking has it at $60-$65M based on probably its previous walk up/presale ratio...so we'll see if this one matches that number or not...is it even more walk-up friendly or less than its previous versions... 

Edited by TwoMisfits

TV shows tend to be trash because producers are forced to make them over 100 episodes, or even longer with more popular shows, just to reach the magic rerun syndication goal.

The need to stretch out shows weaken them greatly.

I mean, I don't think The Walking Dead will even end in our lifetimes since it is so popular.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Really? Like what? Americans disappointed this season. Leftovers had a dud ending. Even Fargo was a letdown this season. I'll give it up to Legion... Easily the most compelling superhero storytelling on television or film in 2017. But, man, the form in television is just stale as fuck most of the time. Half these shows can't tell a compelling story with 60 friggin' hours.

I will say that some of the animated stuff and sitcoms are great like Rick and Morty, Silicon Valley, etc. But, that's different.

For me twin peaks has been highlight of summer. Ofcourse I am an anime guy so there's that. And ofcourse the show that started this discussion is coming back on sunday. So excluding anime, there's 1 show that I loved and 0 movies that I loved this summer. And this has changed rarely in last 8 years for me.

don't care about drama TV. Takes too long to watch. Only shows I watch are some comedy shows like South Park and The Simpsons, Judge Judy, re runs of Forensic Files, and stuff on Investigation Discovery. 

might watch True Detective, American Crime Story, and Twin Peaks one day though

Edited by John Marston

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Whaaaaaaat?

LEFTOVERS had one of the better finales ever. 

Eh, the finale was probably the weakest episode of an admittedly absurdly great season quality-wise. But the final scene was great.

Edited by Jayhawk

Just now, Mojoguy said:

TV shows tend to be trash because producers are forced to make them over 100 episodes, or even longer with more popular shows, just to reach the magic rerun syndication goal.

The need to stretch out shows waken them greatly.

I mean, I don't think The Walking Dead will even end in our lifetimes since it is so popular.

I agree - Lost was great its 1st two seasons and then lost total focus in seasons 3-4 as they kept stretching things out per network "make more episodes" guidance, and it didn't really regain any real "goodness" til it had actual ending date, and those last seasons were still not as good as it started...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The need to stretch out shows waken them greatly.

Still shocking how this is the mindset some of the general public still has about TV. Almost everything good ain't on a network.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Apes trilogy is about to tell a complete, compelling story with only 6 hours and 15 minutes total worth of movies.  That's like 3/5 of an average Game of Thrones season.

And didn't came close to provide even half of the emotions or intensity that got can provide in a season.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Still shocking how this is the mindset some of the general public still has about TV. Almost everything good ain't on a network.

Even not on a network, when I watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix (I'm watching Luke Cage and then Iron Fist for this summer's binge), I still thought they made too many filler episodes and could have condensed each season to an amazing 8-10, rather than the 13 they had...it would not lose so much tension and drama if it stayed tight and on point...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

And didn't came close to provide even half of the emotions or intensity that got can provide in a season.

I haven't watched GOT, but are you seriously trying to say the Apes trilogy doesn't have moments of emotion and intensity?  Dawn is absolutely intense, emotional, and War seems to only up the ante on that.  And even Rise is no slouch in these categories.

I'll update more on this when I see War in a few hours.