baumer

Asgard blesses us early. SMH 7.4, Apes 7.1, WW 1.2M Tues

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's worse...if I graded the movies...it would be...

DM1 - A (almost the A+)

DM2 - B 

Minions - B-

DM3 - C+

250 will give 3.45x ... better than all 2017 animations (Smurfs, Lego Bat, Cars) except Boss Baby which was an original and still not much ahead at ~3.47x.

So creditable legs for DM3 (even though 250 odd is lower than everyone's expectations just before release). 

It has killed it OS and looks well set for #1 summer movie globally. Very impressive.

Surprised that Cars3 never recovered after taking a hit from DM3.

It's looking at 2.8x and had good reception from what I gather.

Has the same advantages as DM3 when it comes to competition : just these 2 animations in the marketplace for quiet a while in a year that hasn't produced huge animations like last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

250 will give 3.45x ... better than all 2017 animations (Smurfs, Lego Bat, Cars) except Boss Baby which was an original and still not much ahead at ~3.47x.

So creditable legs for DM3 (even though 250 odd is lower than everyone's expectations just before release). 

It has killed it OS and looks well set for #1 summer movie globally. Very impressive.

Surprised that Cars3 never recovered after taking a hit from DM3.

It's looking at 2.8x and had good reception from what I gather.

Has the same advantages as DM3 when it comes to competition : just these 2 animations in the marketplace for quiet a while in a year that hasn't produced huge animations like last year.

I will say...this is the film that kills #5...I'll be looking to convince my kids that next time, we can wait for the cheap theater or even better, Netflix/Redbox, before I ever spring for the tickets again...

It will take a miracle WOM for the next one to not drop below $200M DOM.  If I'm making animated movies, I don't worry about scheduling close to them again - I welcome it...like what happened with Cars after #2, parents are gonna look for an excuse NOT to go, not one to go...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's worse...if I graded the movies...it would be...

DM1 - A (almost the A+)

DM2 - B 

Minions - B-

DM3 - C+

Thanks, DM1 is what made me buy a 50" 3D TV after seeing it demo'd in a store.

Only went in for some printer ink ...doh !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I will say...this is the film that kills #5...I'll be looking to convince my kids that next time, we can wait for the cheap theater or even better, Netflix/Redbox, before I ever spring for the tickets again...

It will take a miracle WOM for the next one to not drop below $200M DOM.  If I'm making animated movies, I don't worry about scheduling close to them again - I welcome it...like what happened with Cars after #2, parents are gonna look for an excuse NOT to go, not one to go...

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Question is where does the DM franchise go from here. Minions 2 is definitely going sub $200M domestic but probably $750M-$800M WW.

I feel #5 could do 700-750 ww and #6 could do 500-550 ww.

So I expect both, Minions2 and DM4 to be well profitable even before including the huge auxiliary revenue these movies make.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

A whole new generation will grow up with Tom Holland's take on Spider-Man. I think it's the wisest move the MCU could ever do with the character, if they are able to keep the quality, Holland could easily match RDJ 's Tony Stark appearances in Marvel films. Holland is getting set up to be an important part of the MCU, and I think that the future of the franchise is finally bright.

Awesome Tuesday bump.

It took time to build, Tom Holland is likeable, to me, he is the best spiderman among 3(not story-wise), but new spiderman may suffered from even more severe fatigue as it's already the 3rd spiderman franchise in less than 2 decade, and there is a generation before millennial that still can't quit Sam Raimi.

Spiderman really need a break after his involvement in MCU, they consumed too much of him making Spiderman be very vulnerable to fatigue. But if spiderman proved otherwise, spiderman could the james bond movie of SH genre 

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Question is where does the DM franchise go from here. Minions 2 is definitely going sub $200M domestic but probably $750M-$800M WW.

Minions 2 won't do less than 200.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Domestically. When DM3 is basically the franchise's Shrek 4, you know the films are going to start to decrease domestically.

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

If Minions2 shows the same drop from DM3 that Minions showed from DM2, then it could do 225+.

DM2 though had better reception and goodwill than DM3 imo.

So the drop (if at all this formula for calculating the drop is sound) could be bigger. Not to mention Minions itself had mixed reception.

I can see sub-200 but would not be sure of it. If had to take a guess this early, would say 165-215 (190 in the middle).

Edited by a2knet
updated my range

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Have you seen DM3?  If not, I'd check it out before I had certainty about its future series DOM prospects...

I have not.  But here's the thing.  I didn't care for DM1, DM2 or Minions all that much.  Neither did my brother.  But his kids love them.  So I don't see Minions dropping that much from the first.  

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

If Minions2 shows the same drop from DM3 that Minions showed from DM2, then it could do 225+.

DM2 though had better reception and goodwill than DM3 imo.

So the drop (if at all this formula for calculating the drop is sound) could be bigger. Not to mention Minions itself had mixed reception.

I can see sub-200 but would not be sure of it. If had to take a guess this early, would say 165-215 (190 in the middle).

Except right now you don't know where DM3 is going to end up.  

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Domestically. When DM3 is basically the franchise's Shrek 4, you know the films are going to start to decrease domestically.

I agree it will decrease.  But not by 40%, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have not.  But here's the thing.  I didn't care for DM1, DM2 or Minions all that much.  Neither did my brother.  But his kids love them.  So I don't see Minions dropping that much from the first.  

Yes, but I actually did (at least the 1st 2)...and brought my kids to all 4...after 2 misses with each getting worse, I'm not taking mine next time...

After 2 WOM fails (Minions and DM3), how many parents do you think are gonna give in a 3rd time?  It's already clear on this board that the non-parent/kid audience started giving this movie a pass after 1 fail (Minions)...I mean DM 1 was AMAZING and gave the series a carryover glow for its 1st 2 sequels, but this one gives the reverse - a phoned in, forced quality...

I mean, my girls aren't that old...and this movie did not pull them in...if you've lost a 10 year old, you've become the Cars series for 3-9 year olds...except you might still get boys and girls...but some of those kids are also gone age out by your next movie...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree it will decrease.  But not by 40%, in my opinion.

But $250M minus 20.001% gets you under $200M...and yes, I'm assuming this gets $250M with the dearth of anything good for kids this summer...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But $250M minus 20.001% gets you under $200M...and yes, I'm assuming this gets $250M with the dearth of anything good for kids this summer...

I guess I was going with Minions gross, not DM3.

• Like 1