baumer

Girl's trip (2017)

Grade it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Community Manager

As funny and outrageous as Girl's Trip can be-the scene with the absinthe is the most I've laughed this year at the movies-its treatment on characters not as joke delivery machines but real humans with flaws elevates it beyond just another ranchy comedy.

A-

• Like 4

It's nothing groundbreaking but holy hell is it hilarious (and came as a relief after seeing Dunkirk right before this). There are more than a handful set pieces in this movie so uproarious that the dialogue is drowned out to due to so much audience laughter. But as funny as it is, it's also very heartfelt and the chemistry between the stars feels completely natural. Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, and Jada Pinkett Smith are all very good. But Tiffany Haddish, man. Crazy perfect comic timing and delivery. I had never seen or heard of her before this movie, but you could cast her in everything and I would have no complaints. B+

This was fine. The comedy was all very strong and sold me on the movie.  Unfortunately, the movie veers into melodramatic territory a few times and it took me out of it.  Nothing about it felt compelling (I actually would say Rough Night was better than this, but this would've been better than that if they stuck with the comedy).  Other than that it's a decent movie.  B

• Like 1

On 23/07/2017 at 8:31 PM, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

This was fine. The comedy was all very strong and sold me on the movie.  Unfortunately, the movie veers into melodramatic territory a few times and it took me out of it.  Nothing about it felt compelling (I actually would say Rough Night was better than this, but this would've been better than that if they stuck with the comedy).  Other than that it's a decent movie.  B

I'm just curious as to what some of your favorite comedies are?

• Like 1

Funny, touching, poignant, relevant, nostalgic, heart-breaking and even tear-jerking....Girl's trip is going to have terrific legs.  It's a raunchy film in so many ways but for every dick joke you have sensitive and realistic observations about friendship and adulthood and life in general.  I think the audience I was with thought it was hilarious from start to finish, judging by the laughter.  I too thought it was funny but felt it had much more to say than just four girls cutting loose trying to get their freak on.  And I appreciated it more for that than the comedy.

8.5/10

• Like 1

Girls Trip is the antithesis to Get Out. It's about blackness, but it's about reveling in it and the goodness that is black sisterhood. Get Out (which I love) was basically "Don't trust anyone.", which is also a message I can appreciate.

Oddly, I didn't find it 100% uproarious. Lots of it was funny, but I admit it isn't quite my humor. 

Spoiler

Lisa burning the dude's dick and eye with grapefruit juice was kind of the funniest moment as well as the throwback to the mid 00's with that in the club danceoff. 

There's times when the narrative kind of takes a holiday in the first half before kicking in again at the hour mark. Also, when was the last time you saw a movie take place in New Orleans? Or the people involved go to FamU?

What I was truly impressed and touched by was the fact that these women all had their flaws and issues and presented them as human. Ryan was hellbent on being a woman with everything "together" (I like how they avoided dropping "Strong Black Woman", a stereotype that hurts black women into, well, not being ourselves and always having to be a rock for others) and her friends going "No, this is not you, you deserve better." This is GREAT and stuff we don't see in modern media, especially regarding black women. This is why I get angry when I see some film pissant whining that diversity is pandering - when you show people who get ignored as human, you encourage others to relate and empathize with them. 

I was really never bored with this, probably because I marveled in seeing people who looked like me on the screen just having fun and not suffering in some capacity.

• Like 1

Girls Trip is a really fun comedy. The main four of the ensemble has chemistry off the charts, and all get a chance to be very funny. Haddish clearly is the highlight in a breakout role that constantly makes scenes much more hysterical than they could be. The dramatic portions work about as well as they could, but the film would've honestly been much better if those had been cut down a bit. Lee's direction is wholly average, not even trying to add more humor to the already wacky situations. Girls Trip is still a really good comedy though, thanks to its strong cast and crowd-pleasing script. A enjoyable time at the theater. B-