Finnick

Wednesday Numbers: SMH 4.9M, Apes 4.4M, DM3 2.8M, BD 1.2M, WW 0.91M

SMH2 will decrease since people are rushing out to see SMH as shown by the 2nd weekend drop and likely 3rd weekend drop. SMH has been behaving like a sequel.

Stop acting like nobody is seeing SMH like what happened with Batman Begins. lol

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Now, I'm not sure that's a great spot for Batman...3 weeks after the epic ending of Star Wars and a week before Toy Story 4, but not on Father's Day weekend...I don't know that anything big will want to claim June, and you might get lesser comic heroes then...

I highly doubt Episode IX is staying in summer, especially if Han Solo underperforms next year (which I think it will). 

• Like 1

SMH needs 305 to hit 2.6x multi. Imo it will get there and that is a good multi.

I thought 2.8-3x would be the range. But turned out to be well wrong. Those predicting 2.5-2.7x got it right.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

SMH2 will decrease since people are rushing out to see SMH as shown by the 2nd weekend drop and likely 3rd weekend drop. SMH has been behaving like a sequel.

Stop acting like nobody is seeing SMH like what happened with Batman Begins. lol

The way I see it, Homecoming is to Spider-Man's franchise what Batman Begins was back in the day. And no, I don't expect the sequel to Homecoming to become Spidey's TDK. Neither I think it needs to. I think steady and slow growth is exactly what casting young can achieve with Spider-Man's franchise, so while I think the sequel will gross more, I hope Marvel Studios is able to keep Spider-Man's growth going naturally throughout the films. BTW, good drop for Spidey, I do still think it has an outside shot for $900m-$1b WW.

• Like 1

If I had to completely guess at this point, I'd say SMH ends with less than 290.  286-290 is my guess based on the 50% drops from last week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

If I had to completely guess at this point, I'd say SMH ends with less than 290.  286-290 is my guess based on the 50% drops from last week.

I do think that it will cross $300m dom relatively with ease. After this weekend, it should stabilize for the rest of its run. Dunkirk is the last 'big' release of the Summer. I was proved more wrong than right with Spidey's box office tho, so let's see.

• Like 1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2012.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=spiderman2017.htm

Homecoming is going for its second Thursday and its Weds numbers are $4.9m.  Comparatively, Man of Steel second Weds numbers were $4.1m. Having in mind that MoS was a June release, I'd argue that the competition Homecoming is facing going forward is way less strong.

Also, people arguing here or not, the film is seen like a good film by the GA and critics. The WOM is obviously better than MoS. I think that legs have already start giving signs that are good by last Tuesday numbers and at this point, Homecoming is imo going for something around a 2.7-2.9 multiplier domestically, so I'm thinking $315m-$339m.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not that it's not evident now, but if SM:H ends up with a domestic total under MOS, I don't see how people will still argue that its word of mouth was crazy good. If the word of mouth is really "insane" and "out of this world," then the film's box office trajectory is sure as hell not showing it. After that opening, I gave the "word of mouth is insane!" claims the benefit of the doubt because I figured that audiences would discover the film's quality and talk it up so much that more and more people would make the movie sprout some sexy legs, but so far, everything has been pretty ordinary. And no, I was not expecting a Wonder Woman-type performance, but I was certainly expecting better than what it's doing.  

Edited by Cochofles

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Not that it's not evident now, but if SM:H ends up with a domestic total under MOS, I don't see how people will still argue that its word of mouth was crazy good. If the word of mouth is really "insane" and "out of this world," then the film's box office trajectory is sure as hell not showing it. After that opening, I gave the "word of mouth is insane!" claims the benefit of the doubt because I figured that audiences would discover the film's quality and talk it up so much that more and more people would make the movie sprout some sexy legs, but so far, everything has been pretty average.

Word of mouth is good, arguably the best Spider-Man film yet seen by GA, BUT with the setback of being the second reboot in less than 15 years. It is crossing MoS and some. This is Homecoming's last "tough" weekend, judging by the calendar.

Will it go anywhere close to WW domestically? No, but just because WW has better legs doesn't mean that both films aren't seen as great entries in the superhero genre.

Homecoming has a new actor donning the Spidey suit for the first time in a second solo reboot. It's crossing $300m dom, it has a good shot to $900m-$1b ww and I see no reason why to force an artificial competition between Wonder Woman and Spidey theater runs. Both are amazing films and wins for the genre, as far as superhero movies go, this year has been perfect for me so far.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

:depp:Dunkirk will kill the late legs of Wonder Woman , I suppose. a WB hurting another WB film...interesting...

WW >>>> Dunkirk.

So no.

• Like 1