CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

I need to revisit Gump to finally form a definitive take on it. Really loved it as a teen but upon reflection it feels like a movie that veers awkwardly between making fun of Americana and earnestly buying into it. I feel like it's become such a ubiquitous piece of pop culture that neither its fans nor its haters really acknowledge how weird and contradictory it often is.

• Like 1

i generally see forrest gump as a critique on american culture that is sympathetic to its lead but still mocks and damns the system that can lead to his success and robin wright's failure. think that's what it's going for and i mostly buy into it that way. i get that there's kind of a push and pull with that approach. 

• Like 2

BTTF first two are so meh that I, a pathological completist, never bothered with the third one.

It's actually incredible how family movies deemed classics always leave me cold and indifferent. I can't quite put my finger on what has changed. Maybe it's the fact I didn't grow up with them? 

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

BTTF first two are so meh that I, a pathological completist, never bothered with the third one.

It's actually incredible how family movies deemed classics always leave me cold and indifferent. I can't quite put my finger on what has changed. Maybe it's the fact I didn't grow up with them? 

considering your opinion on stuff that stretches beyond family films, i think it might just be your exceedingly bad taste in general.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I need to revisit Gump to finally form a definitive take on it. Really loved it as a teen but upon reflection it feels like a movie that veers awkwardly between making fun of Americana and earnestly buying into it. I feel like it's become such a ubiquitous piece of pop culture that neither its fans nor its haters really acknowledge how weird and contradictory it often is.

And I thought Forrest Gump was about the Shrimp industry all along.

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I usually leave this for Ethan, but  GODDAMIT GOFFE THE ADULTS ARE TALKING!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I don't care about the sequels but the first Back to the Future is awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

considering your opinion on stuff that stretches beyond family films, i think it might just be your exceedingly bad taste in general.

Could be, but I dunno. 

Every now and then I go with the flow, but when it comes to family movies I'm pretty consistent.

• Thanks 1

I guess I can see a case for BTTF 2 being a bit overrated (though great), but I haven't seen it in awhile. BTTF 1 is legendary for a good reason.

Goffe sometimes has terribad opinions (Children of Men being too political is a lowkey WOAT take I saw recently) but I also find myself agreeing a ton about modern blockbusters, particularly superhero movies, so it's a really a rollercoaster of a time. *Jason Mamoa voice* I dig it.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1