Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Bad Boys 3 won't happen. 

And the Barbie movie ,with it constant changes in casting and writers, looks like a mess,a project Sony does not know what to do with.

Yes,SONY new management had the brains to team up with Marvel Studios for the Spidey movie, but I have yet to see any other sign the new management can turn that studio around.

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Nov.  '17. Could Thor go over a Justice League or is that unreasonable? 

Not gonna happen. Not unless JL has BvS type reception/legs and Thor ha guardians type reception/legs

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Bad Boys 3 won't happen. 

I'm more curious on how their animated 2018 films perform and how Venom and Alpha does.

• Like 1

Valerian:

$1,820,364-59.6% / -3,553 / $512$18,827,988 / 4

The Great Wall:

3$3,038,870$21,508,490-45.4% / -- / -3,326 / $914$6,467$21,508,490 / 4

(Ignore the fact that The Great Wall opened on a holiday weekend)

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm more curious on how their animated 2018 films perform and how Venom and Alpha does.

If it id true that Marvel studios is not involved with Venom the way they are with the Spidey films,my hopes for Venom are not high.

Rumblings from Pete Hammond: http://deadline.com/2017/07/toronto-film-festival-announcement-oscar-season-1202134393/

Fox is going to be showing Mountain Between Us footage to critics this week like Logan, Kingsman, Alien, etc.

American Made is supposedly Cruise's best film in a long time.

Molly's Game is apparently "sensational"

Apparently Harvey Weinstein is confident in The Current War. Sure Jan?

The Intouchables remake might release this year; it's already premiering at TIFF, so it's possible.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Rumblings from Pete Hammond: http://deadline.com/2017/07/toronto-film-festival-announcement-oscar-season-1202134393/

Fox is going to be showing Mountain Between Us footage to critics this week like Logan, Kingsman, Alien, etc.

American Made is supposedly Cruise's best film in a long time.

Molly's Game is apparently "sensational"

Apparently Harvey Weinstein is confident in The Current War. Sure Jan?

The Intouchables remake might release this year; it's already premiering at TIFF, so it's possible.

Ooh, that's good for American Made.  Maybe it could get a surprise BP nom if it gets 90%+ on RT and Universal campaigns for it enough.

Molly's Game will either end up like Miss Sloane or it'll get nommed too.  I'll wait for a trailer to make further judgement.

4 hours ago, nomyth said:

It's so hard to respond to this (especially since I really don't want to have a political discussion). I mean, it's cool you don't like the film. Obviously, I disagree with your assessment of the film, but that's not what I take issue with.

I'll just say this, it really sucks that a movie like Moonlight FINALLY does win best picture and all you hear is 'Oh! It just won cause of politics.' As I said in an earlier post, there are a thousand factors that go into each best picture win throughout the years and, yes, this is often a reflection of the times. What bothers me, however, is how people cherry pick which films they specifically have an issue with and completely undermine the film and its achievements because of these reasons. You don't like the film, cool, but I don't think your assessment of its best picture win is fair at all. And the frustration you and many others express about it's win seems really unjustified (particularly when you look through the academy's history of awarding questionable films).

Yea, but I take umbrage with about 99% of the films that win best picture.  My idea of what film should win obviously differs from the academy.  For example, if you want to get into some of the more controversial films, I think Malcolm X and Denzel should have won over Scent of a Woman and Pacino.  I think Boyz N the Hood was much better than Silence of the Lambs.  I also thought Brokeback Mountain was the best film of the ones nominated in 2005.  

There is more than enough evidence and testimonials that prove without a shadow of a doubt that best pictures and other oscar winners are all about who spends the most on their campaign.  The Weinsteins are notorious for buying wins.  SIL, Chicago, The Artist and then you have the Reader getting nominated over TDK.  

I could go on and on and on.  But I'll leave it at that.  

I disliked Moonlight, passionately disliked it and it bothers me that it won best picture.  But it's par for the course.  That's the MO of the academy and it has been for years.

• Like 1

I think BD, WW, and SMH will be in for some pretty stellar holds this weekend. No idea WTF is up with DM3's Monday and what it means for the weekend though.

I'll state again that Dunkirk is probably  coming in for a low-40s drop. It wouldn't shock me if it dropped around 45-46% or 37-39% either.

Girls Trip's drop is worse than Bad Moms and more in line with 2016 comedies like Central Intelligence, Mike and Dave, and Neighbors. It is having great WOM, but I don't think it's dropping below 40% this weekend. 45% or so is more likely.

Valerian's prospects look a bit shaky based on its Monday hold. We'll see how Tuesday comes through.

Another shitty drop is incoming for Apes. This is proving to be very frontloaded.

The one thing I'm noticing around Orlando this weekend is The Big Sick and Wish Upon aren't losing many theaters but are losing a lot of showtimes. This is what they look like now vs the future:

Now:

The Big Sick- 12 theaters. 11 full screens, 1 split screen

Wish Upon- 13 theaters. 10 full screens, 3 split screens

Friday:

The Big Sick- 8 theaters. 3 full screens, 5 split screens

Wish Upon- 7 theaters. 4 full screens, 3 split screens

Note a couple of Regals haven't posted full showtimes yet. Given their weekdays, I don't think either will be in for disastrous holds, but they'll be around the mid-40s with their showtime losses. Their TCs will be impaled next weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

No Wonder Woman boost?

Before Wonder Woman I would be predicting under BvS. Now thinking a gross close to WW domestically. So yeah that is the boost for me too.

Spider Man finally posted a good weekly drop. Apes continues to underwhelm.

Edited by eXtacy

21 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

was Monday a holiday at all?  DM3, Cars 3 = better holds than comparison.

I thought so too when Dunkirk, Wondr and DM3 numbers first came out. But looking at Apes and Val, I don't think so. Hopefully Apes can do about 30% bump on Tue. It did 23% last Tuesday.

Just seen that the budget on BOM is listed as 100m for Dunkirk. Does the forum buy that? I guess with mostly no-name actors, the shorter running time and Nolan's famously ruthless efficiency it's somewhat plausible. But god knows what the marketing cost.

5 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

We've already discussed about that couple days ago.

But some of us aren't on here 24/7. Feel free to direct me to the relevant pages, though. :)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

But some of us aren't on here 24/7. Feel free to direct me to the relevant pages, though. :)

EmpireCity made a post about it in the weekend thread:

There was also a bit of discussion about it in the pages around that post I think.

Edited by aabattery

My Tuesday Predictions:

1. Dunkirk - $7.72 million (+20%)

2. Spidey - $4.7 million (+40%)

3. Girls Trip - $4.5 million (+30%)

4. Despicable Me 3 - $3.53 million (+52%)

5. Apes 3 - $3.4 million (+30%)

6. Valerian - $2.27 million (+25%)

7. Baby Driver - $1.24 million (+35%)

8. Wonder Woman - $1 million (+37%)

9. The Big Sick - $871K (+40%)

10. Wish Upon - $470K (+20%)

• Like 2

Going conservative compared to last week (last weekend's bumps in [])

Tue 0.950 (+30%) [+36.6%]

Wed 0.700 (-26.3%) [-24.5%]

Thu 0.665 (-5%) [-8.5% but with 3 openers - V, D, GT - having previews, so -5% this Thu is conservative; Thu before last was only -0.6%]

Fri 1.000 (+51%) [+53.4%]

Sat 1.440 (+44%) [+50.8%]

Sun 1.060 (-26.4%) [-25.4%]

3.50 weekend (-23.9% from 4.6) / 394.9 cume

So 395 by this weekend after a week (Mon-Sun) of 6.55

4.1 next whole week (Mon-Sun) (-37.4% weekly drop)

2.7 the week after (-34%)

1.6 the week after (-37%)

1.0 the week after (-37.5%)

0.75 the week after (-25% Labor Day FSS)

0.5 the week after (-33% ... Labor Day Monday + Tue-Sun)

0.85 in rest of the run including dollar bump

= 11.5 cume after this week...

...for dom of 395 + 11.5 = 406.5

A genuine expansion over LD can give

wonder_woman_vs_iron_man_commission_by_s

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 5