That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

44 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I'll be seeing Step tomorrow.  We'll see if it dethrones Alien: Covenant and end up as my 23rd favorite movie of the year, know you're all anticipating this reveal

Just take a slow and easy Step with your reveal, like Tele does, okay. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Sad 1

Hitman's Bodyguard was pretty much flat at my theatre with yesterday (minus previews)

26M weekend here still looking good, i would say higher but I don't think Sunday hold will be so great, weather is supposed to be really good.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

@Squadron Leader Tele

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3D

Domestic Total Gross: $39,177,684

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Domestic Total as of Aug. 17, 2017: $38,830,728

:ohmygod::qotd: 

Now that s just mean spirited.

<_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

@Squadron Leader Tele

:ohmygod::qotd: 

I can literally do this for any movie.  Doesn't mean they're automatically worse than Sharkboy and Lavagirl:

The Nice Guys

Domestic Total Gross: $36,261,763
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I can literally do this for any movie.  Doesn't mean they're automatically worse than Sharkboy and Lavagirl:

The Nice Guys

Domestic Total Gross: $36,261,763

The Great Wall

Domestic Total Gross: $45,157,105

@MrPink Bask in your victory.

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

The Great Wall

@MrPink Bask in your victory.

The Great Wall

Warcraft

Domestic Total Gross: $47,365,290
  • Like 2

In relation to MoviePass. It sounds convoluted, 

Here in the UK, our top chain Cineworld has Unlimited Cards. £17 a month, direct debit. You can go and see any film as many times as you want, even on the same day. Unlimited films for £17 a month. No payments at the cinema. You can book online weeks in advance, pick your seats, no 3D surcharges, 25% off all food and drinks, early previews just for members. 

It's really great and it's been a massive success. I think it's been going for 10 years now. 

I noticed someone said MoviePass could be seen as cheating at the box office. If so, every movies UK gross for the past 10 year since is wrong :lol:

Cineworld > MoviePass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

This is the most dead its been in a while.

I guess most folks listened to rotten tomatoes when it said "Go then, there are other Stephen King adaptations than these," and will be back when IT comes out. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Here in the UK, our top chain Cineworld has Unlimited Cards. £17 a month, direct debit. You can go and see any film as many times as you want, even on the same day. Unlimited films for £17 a month. No payments at the cinema. You can book online weeks in advance, pick your seats, no 3D surcharges, 25% off all food and drinks, early previews just for members. 

It's really great and it's been a massive success. I think it's been going for 10 years now. 

I noticed someone said MoviePass could be seen as cheating at the box office. If so, every movies UK gross for the past 10 year since is wrong :lol:

Cineworld > MoviePass.

Don't forget the discount on IMAX screenings etc.... Love my unlimited card. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Cineworld > MoviePass.

I'm completely jealous of this. I have a question though, is Cineworld a specific chain in the U.K. 

MoviePass has quite a few limitations like not being able to see more than one movie a day, having to be at or near the theater to get your tickets etc but I think it's because it's being constrained by movie theater chains. I think if it does end up working, the chains might be loosened up a bit and MoviePass won't be as restrictive and a hassle. 

But for most of us here in the states/Canada, the hassle is worth the price just because of how expensive tickets are here and no large chain really offers a subscription plan. We get discounted tickets sometimes, a free popcorn etc but that's about it lol 

In my area, MoviePass would be worth it if I just went to the movies once a month :lol: 

But I am waiting before officially signing up because I'm sure A LOT of people are and I'd imagine their system is probably in over its head at the moment. 

Lionsgate didn't screw marketing because otherwise it would have opened 10 mln less. They actually did a good job. Trailers were good and funny, Bodyguard spoof poster was great, there were many tv spots and trailers, they actually actively marketed it and it payed off. This is why THB opened with 20+ and Logan Lucky with 7. LL had terrible marketing with one mediocre/bad trailer, some mediocre posters and that's it, they basically haven't marketed it. With this amazing cast, director and reviews, it could have opened with 20 mln, but they screwed it and got the expected result, which is shame.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm completely jealous of this. I have a question though, is Cineworld a specific chain in the U.K. 

MoviePass has quite a few limitations like not being able to see more than one movie a day, having to be at or near the theater to get your tickets etc but I think it's because it's being constrained by movie theater chains. I think if it does end up working, the chains might be loosened up a bit and MoviePass won't be as restrictive and a hassle. 

But for most of us here in the states/Canada, the hassle is worth the price just because of how expensive tickets are here and no large chain really offers a subscription plan. We get discounted tickets sometimes, a free popcorn etc but that's about it lol 

In my area, MoviePass would be worth it if I just went to the movies once a month :lol: 

But I am waiting before officially signing up because I'm sure A LOT of people are and I'd imagine their system is probably in over its head at the moment. 

Yeh our main chains are Cineworld and Odeon. We have others like Vue, Showcase and Empire.

I think MoviePass you pay for the movie then claim it back. With Cineworld it's all just on the membership, no transaction of money apart from the direct debit. Odeon have their own version too, Limitless. 

• Like 1

Few thoughts on the changing landscape in movies lately..or the talk of it at least:

Regarding movie pass - Helios and Matheson bought a 51% stake and is a 22M market cap company.  Moviepass is extremely tiny.  If they sign up 100k users who spend $40 at the movies they lose 3M per month on that alone much less marketing cost, employee wages, etc.  This company can't survive long.  They have failed a few business plans since 2011 including one AMC actually entertained in 2015.  This company will almost certainly fail so movie theater chains are looking past it to what damage it could cause.

AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc could have all its employees, friends get a movie pass and clock in for a movie every day and the little pile of Movie Pass venture capital money comes straight to them.and it goes bust.

Regarding Netflix and PVOD - I have a few thoughts:

1) Studios have only themselves to blame for declining DVD sales. They took money from Netflix who then gave their product away for free.  Why ever buy a movie if you can stream it instantly anytime?  This made the value of watching a movie at home almost $0.  Like Disney is doing, these guys should take their content back from Netflix though the damage may be impossible to reverse.

2) People expect to watch movies at home for next to nothing now so good luck to studios expecting $50.  There is nothing premium about PVOD which is the same movie as it will be for near free in a few weeks/months.  Which brings me to my last thought

3) Theatrical release is exceedingly important for setting the value of a movie.  Proximity to theater release sets a movie's current value.  If a movie releases straight to streaming it has next to no value and I see no reason to pay $50 for it today vs much less later.  It is the release "event" that makes it worth anything.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh our main chains are Cineworld and Odeon. We have others like Vue, Showcase and Empire.

I think MoviePass you pay for the movie then claim it back. With Cineworld it's all just on the membership, no transaction of money apart from the direct debit. Odeon have their own version too, Limitless. 

AMC bought Odeon last year so perhaps they do have intentions of starting a pass of some sort - they can certainly get all the details of how it works, but the same won't work in the US where movies can have 200M opening weekends.  Theaters would need to work something out with studios and be very careful because they can't afford to subsidize many movie tickets or they'd go bust on star wars alone

Edited by Rumpot
  • Like 1