That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Only exception in the hibernation period is an ultrawide release (4700+ theaters) for My Little Pony: The Movie, but only for half a day.

Fully expecting Same Kind of Different as Me to break the theater count record...in the theaters it's in for 3 hours

Happy Death Day seems like a good prediction, although I personally would go 25/55. I've got no idea what to expect from the other two so I just won't comment.

Speaking of horror movies coming out in October

Logan Lucky will probably still end up as Bleecker Street's highest grossing movie (even if just barely), so that's good for it and good for Steven Soderbergh.

But I'm telling you - if wom really catches on for THB in terms of how fun/funny it is, we may see another late Summer breakout alas Don't Breathe. It helps that it doesn't target the same audience as Girls Trip, thus allowing both to co-exist fine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Long range forecast http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-foreigner-happy-death-day-marshall/

The Foreigner - 10/27.7

Happy Death Day - 20/40

Marshall - 12/39

Changes:

Leap! is down to 3.8/13.3

lmao @ that Marshall prediction

They're underestimating HDD's legs big time

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Logan Lucky will probably still end up as Bleecker Street's highest grossing movie (even if just barely), so that's good for it and good for Steven Soderbergh.

But I'm telling you - if wom really catches on for THB in terms of how fun/funny it is, we may see another late Summer breakout alas Don't Breathe. It helps that it doesn't target the same audience as Girls Trip, thus allowing both to co-exist fine.

We will find out more when the matinee numbers come in :) 

THB did pretty well at my theater for an R-Rated comedy selling 40 (sold out) and 50 tickets this AM/afternoon. I will be interested to see how well it holds up into the evening and how it does at other locations across the country. 

But my theater could be like DAJK and just more hyped for THB than other places because it sold well last night too. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

They're underestimating HDD's legs big time

I doubt it's gonna have much staying power. Second weekend drop is bound to be big with Friday the 13th being its opening day and then Jigsaw opens in its third weekend before theaters clean house with the arrival of the November juggernauts. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

We will find out more when the matinee numbers come in :) 

THB did pretty well at my theater for an R-Rated comedy selling 40 (sold out) and 50 tickets this AM/afternoon. I will be interested to see how well it holds up into the evening and how it does at other locations across the country. 

But my theater could be like DAJK and just more hyped for THB than other places because it sold well last night too. 

What kind of demographic is your city mainly? 

Here we've got a fair amount of retirees as well as (surprisingly) a really high population of 20-30 year olds who would just want to see Sam Jackson swear. Both demos could be attracted by a violent, old-school action movie like this.

Definitly don't really have a market for Logan Lucky I don't think. A few old people might want to see it, but that's really it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What kind of demographic is your city mainly? 

Here we've got a fair amount of retirees as well as (surprisingly) a really high population of 20-30 year olds who would just want to see Sam Jackson swear. Both demos could be attracted by a violent, old-school action movie like this.

Definitly don't really have a market for Logan Lucky I don't think. A few old people might want to see it, but that's really it.

I live on the outskirts of Philadelphia but in New Jersey. It's a typical town. Not a lot of older people or anything. 

I was actually surprised by the high number of tickets it sold this AM because unless it's a huge movie that's opening $40-50M+, matinees are slow and everything picks up like crazy at night.

But i think because the movie got bad reviews people didn't want to pay more to see it just in case they didn't like it? 

Logan Lucky is a bomb here. It sold 3 and 2 tickets so far. Has 2 tickets for 4PM and none for the other two showings. While it wasn't heavily marketed in this area, I'm actually surprised at the very very low numbers because a lot of folks here go to Dover Speedway or the Pocohnos to watch Nascar races. I feel like Bleecker street dropped the ball by not marketed it here to be honest. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

In user reviews it's sitting at 71% on RT and about the same on IMDB - that's not indicating any great or even very good WOM

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, a better comparison for The Hitman's Bodyguard is Let's Be Cops, not Central Intelligence or (ha) Don't Breathe.

Would be a perfect one, but it was a Wednesday release making it a bit harder to translate directly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Would be a perfect one, but it was a Wednesday release making it a bit harder to translate directly.

Thanks. I was going to point that out. Let's Be Cops did make $17.8M for its three day but that's not including the $8.4M it made from Wednesday and Thursday. 

Edited by Nova

Overall update for my theater:

THB has been selling great so far. The 1:05 show nearly sold out, and the morning show sold about 40 tickets. It's selling very well into later this afternoon and tonight. How the fuck did this not get one of the bigger auditoriums?

Logan Lucky has been selling meh. My showing only had 17 people, and the 1:15 fared slightly better at 22 seats. Tonight's show has already sold 17 seats, so it should be relatively busy. Still a fuckton better than what most holdovers are doing though!

Annabelle is selling mixed. The morning show only had 7 seats sold, and the early afternoon did well with 16. The one in an hour has only sold 3 seats, and the main night show has sold 11 so far.

Dunkirk has picked it up quite a bit after a mediocre week here. The first two shows sold 11 and 14 seats.

The Dark Tower.... LOOOOOOL. The first two shows sold 4 and 7 seats :lol: The one in 10 minutes isn't doing much better with only 3 more seats than the last one.

Kidnap fell a lot. The morning show sold 8 seats, but the two after that only sold 2 each.

Nut Job could be doing worse I guess. Both shows so far sold about 5-6 seats.

Atomic Blonde is nearly done. The morning show only had 2 seats, and the early afternoon had 6.

Girls Trip collapsed. The morning show sold nothing, and the second show only had 3 seats sold. It was one of the better performers during the week, so I'm taking a wager that THB (and LL to a lesser extent) impacted it a lot.

SMH's afternoon did shockingly well with 12 seats. The morning one only had 3 sold, so no idea what happened this afternoon. I checked it a few minutes before it started, and only 4 seats were sold.

Emoji's morning show and the one starting now sold nothing while the noon-ish one only sold 3. I can guarantee it'll be sharing a screen or gone next week.

Apes sold NOTHING for its first two shows. Why the fuck did they give it a full screen back? :rofl: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soderbergh sold the foreign distribution rights, instead of the usual distribution deal and sold exclusive first rights to Amazon.

Because of this Logan Lucky is really not a bomb. It is like making and distributing a movie for almost nothing.

I love the Hitman's Bodyguard is doing great, because I'm a "critic hater".

But let's keep this into prospective, it may seems odd, but LL is actually in better financial shape HB.

HB marketing is 4 times more expenses than LL

4 minutes ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

Soderbergh sold the foreign distribution rights, instead of the usual distribution deal and sold exclusive first rights to Amazon.

Because of this Logan Lucky is really not a bomb. It is like making and distributing a movie for almost nothing.

I love the Hitman's Bodyguard is doing great, because I'm a "critic hater".

But let's keep this into prospective, it may seems odd, but LL is actually in better financial shape HB.

HB marketing is 4 times more expenses than LL

Lionsgate sold the OS rights to THB as they usually do with their films so I imagine they already recouped the budget, they're only handling US and U.K. distribution so it'll likely be profitable if the film does $60-70m domestically and whatever it makes in the UK

Just because you have the rights to your film sold off doesn't mean the financial burden goes away. 

According to the director, Logan Lucky needed to make $15M OW in order for it to be a success. It doesn't look like it's going to hit those numbers. 

He may have nothing to lose but the people he sold the rights to do and they may not do business again because they've lost money. 

Lionsgate is actually notorious for signing away rights. When the film ends up flopping they may not see the financial burden but the people they sold the movie to will....when a movie doesn't do well at the box office, someone is losing money. It doesn't just become a financial success because the studio no longer had the burden on them. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2