That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

Just now, Matrix4You said:

I don't understand why you don't understand that people would have the urge to see it more.

Clearly people don't have an urge to see the movie. Hence why no one saw it. Which is why you should probably understand that there is no urge to see it. 

If there was an urge to see it, it would have done well. But what's the point of seeing a movie that showcases what happened during the Detroit riots when folks can just turn on the news and see that nothing has changed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In terms of PLFs, there are additional charges but they're pretty decent for things like IMAX or 4DX. Event cinema is also heavily discounted as well. I think there should be a choice of either paying upfront or monthly much as Netflix or Amazon.

Detroit came at a bad time and I think it'll eventually find an audience but expanding too quickly was its downfall.

Timing and circumstance matter for every movie...Detroit happened to release at the worst time this year in the worst circumstances...it did not help that it released after a month of critically acclaimed July movies that hit all sorts of its demographics, that those movies were all doing extremely well and had brought in loads of movie goers (keeping their screens longer than what Detroit might have hoped), that it released when tensions were higher for its subject matter, and that it released after people already only had a week pass from seeing another powerful, possible Academy nominated original movie in Dunkirk...

Emoji is the reverse of Detroit...for it, timing and circumstance have been perfect for an original, not as good movie...

But if quality were all that mattered, Academy Award winners would lead the box office every year...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Timing and circumstance matter for every movie...Detroit happened to release at the worst time this year in the worst circumstances...it did not help that it released after a month of critically acclaimed July movies that hit all sorts of its demographics, that those movies were all doing extremely well and had brought in loads of movie goers (keeping their screens longer than what Detroit might have hoped), that it released when tensions were higher for its subject matter, and that it released after people already only had a week pass from seeing another powerful, possible Academy nominated original movie in Dunkirk...

Emoji is the reverse of Detroit...for it, timing and circumstance have been perfect for an original, not as good movie...

But if quality were all that mattered, Academy Award winners would lead the box office every year...

but tensions were high when American Sniper came out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Well I think people should have the urge to see it.  It is my opinion, but I have the right to feel this way.

That's not what your original comment was though. You originally said you don't understand why folks don't have the urge to see it. Not that you think folks should have the urge to see it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

but tensions were high when American Sniper came out. 

Right, but read the rest...

Did American Sniper release right after 3 weekends of $50M+ box office openers all rated 90%+ by rotten tomatoes?

Did it release right after another middle-country skewing uplifting original comedy the week before that also opened to $30M+?

Did it release in a month with I think 8 total wide release movies that were rated fresh on rotten tomatoes, including another movie its own weekend, (Atomic Blonde for Detroit)?

If you answer yes to these questions, then American Sniper might just be that good...I admit, I loved it, but I did not pay to see it in theater, so I wasn't in the box office for that one:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I wanna see Brigsby Bear before it falls to 1 theater in 2 weeks (along with one showtime a day at 10 in the morning in 1 week).

Probably faster. Some theaters around me got it last weekend and dropped it after Thursday after one week.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right, but read the rest...

Did American Sniper release right after 3 weekends of $50M+ box office openers all rated 90%+ by rotten tomatoes?

Did it release right after another middle-country skewing uplifting original comedy the week before that also opened to $30M+?

Did it release in a month with I think 8 total wide release movies that were rated fresh on rotten tomatoes, including another movie its own weekend, (Atomic Blonde for Detroit)?

If you answer yes to these questions, then American Sniper might just be that good...I admit, I loved it, but I did not pay to see it in theater, so I wasn't in the box office for that one:)...

American Sniper was the week after Taken 3 opened to 39M and Selma expanded to 11M ;)

• Like 2

The trailer mix I got today is in the running for one of my worst this year:

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Alpha

Flatliners (fuuuuuuuck)

Birth of the Dragon

Good Time

As I was leaving I heard the mother! trailer in Kidnap, so that just made me extra mad my mix was shit.

• Like 1

Interesting quotes from Steven Soderbergh and EP Dan Fellman about LL opening.

“This weekend’s number is not a problem; we were in profit as soon as someone bought a ticket,” Mr. Soderbergh said, noting that 46 percent of total domestic ticket sales “will go into a pool shared by the cast and crew.”

He added, “The entire experience has been a blast, which was also one of my goals.”

Dan Fellman, a “Logan Lucky” producer and film distribution consultant, said by phone that turnout was strong on the coasts. “Where we didn’t connect was in the South and Midwest, which is frustrating because the movie was made for that audience,” he said.

This is why big studios ignore the rural areas. Soderbergh also said he will do things different on his next movie.

I think this is a learning experience for Soderbergh, sound like that $8 million mostly came from NY and LA, which is surprising.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/movies/hitmans-bodyguard-logan-lucky-box-office.html

7 minutes ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

Interesting quotes from Steven Soderbergh and EP Dan Fellman about LL opening.

“This weekend’s number is not a problem; we were in profit as soon as someone bought a ticket,” Mr. Soderbergh said, noting that 46 percent of total domestic ticket sales “will go into a pool shared by the cast and crew.”

He added, “The entire experience has been a blast, which was also one of my goals.”

Dan Fellman, a “Logan Lucky” producer and film distribution consultant, said by phone that turnout was strong on the coasts. “Where we didn’t connect was in the South and Midwest, which is frustrating because the movie was made for that audience,” he said.

This is why big studios ignore the rural areas. Soderbergh also said he will do things different on his next movie.

I think this is a learning experience for Soderbergh, sound like that $8 million mostly came from NY and LA, which is surprising.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/movies/hitmans-bodyguard-logan-lucky-box-office.html

The South failed you @WrathOfHan

• Sad 1