baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

The lists have been tabulated, the films have been ranked.  The write-ups are nowhere near done.  

I'm going to be pitch hitting for @Squadron Leader Tele as he seems to have a life of something now.

Grim has given me all the info and I will be completing this by Tuesday at the latest.  I will get to the first five tonight.  This will start in about half an hour.

See if your favourite film made the list!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Number 25

Spoiler

Withnail and I

Written by:  Bruce Robinson

Directed by:  Bruce Robinson

Starring:  Paul McGann, Richard E. Grant and Richard Griffiths

withnailandi_quad-1-500x3761.jpg

Number of first place votes:  0

imdb synopsis:  At the end of the 1960's, two substance-abusing, unemployed actors retreat to the countryside for a holiday that proves disastrous.

Tomato Meter:  93%, 8.5 average rating

Academy Awards:  0 wins and 0 nominations

Camden, 1969. Two unemployed actors, Withnail (Richard E Grant), and I (Paul McGann), are facing up to the reality of an empty wine cellar and a harsh comedown following a speed binge. Squalid living conditions and the prospect of life on the poverty line leads 'I' (otherwise known as Marwood), to suggest a rejuvenating break in the Lake District. After Withnail manages to persuade his bizarre uncle, Monty (Richard Griffiths) to part with the keys of his dilapidated cottage, they take the Jag north for a taste of country life.  Bruce Robinson deserves high praise for creating a rich, debauched world of weird thumbs, old suits, uncontaminated urine and some really odd other intricacies. WIth a the tightest of budgets, he brings the late 1960's to life. The script is incredibly witty and eminently quotable. Both Mary Selway (casting director) and Bruce Robinson succeeded in bringing dialogue to life with an impeccable choice of actors. Richard E Grant has never come close to his performance as Withnail - his drunken performances are remarkable. Richard Griffiths is as camp as a hat as the overbearing, exuberant Monty, and Ralph Brown is frequently hilarious as the dangerous but lovable Danny.  This is about as anti Richard Curtis British film as you can get.

Random RTM comments:  None.

Random Reviewer Comment:  Writer-director Bruce Robinson's sui generis masterpiece from 1987, now on re-release, was something to which nothing before or afterwards is really comparable. Peter Bradshaw

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Innerspace

written by:  Jeffrey Boam, Chip Proser

Directed by Joe Dante

Starring:  Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, Martin Short

innerspace.jpg

Number of first place votes:  0

Imdb synopsis:  A hapless store clerk must foil criminals to save the life of the man who, miniaturized in a secret experiment, was accidentally injected into him

Tomato Meter:  81%, average rating 6.7/10

Academy Awards:  Won 1 (best visual effects)

This is a wonderful combination of sci-fi, comedy, romance and thriller elements. It is briskly paced despite being almost two hours in length, and features superb performances from the leads; Dennis Quaid is excellent as usual, as is Meg Ryan. Yet the plaudits must go to Martin Short in a truly great performance he has never matched. He just needs the right role. The supporting cast are great as well; the delightful villainy of Vernon Wells who is unrecognisable. Also Robert Picardo camping it up superbly as The Cowboy, one of his most memorable creations, plus the great pairing of Fiona Lewis and Kevin McCarthy, who memorably says to his dog before feeding it: 'Never beg, never beg!' The cinematography and special effects/makeup are all great as well, and Jerry Goldsmith's score is brilliant, perfectly complementing the tone of the film, alternately exciting/sprightly/romantic. Joe Dante binds it all together with magnificent verve.  

Random Critic remark:  Watching it, you feel kindly toward it, in perhaps a way you wouldn't with a much more accomplished, polished, slicker piece of work. Without trying really, it ingratiates itself; it makes you want to like it:  Hal Hinson, Washington Post.

Random Comment from one of us:  Oh my god! Oh my god! This is the real deal.  I love this movie:  Tele

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

What did I say?! :rofl: 

It was one of our phone conversations a few months ago I just remember Inner Space it come up and you told me that you pretty much loved it. So I embellished Your Enthusiasm just a little bit for effect lol

• Haha 3

#23:

Spoiler

Wings of Desire

Written by:  Wim Wenders, Peter Handke. Richard Reitinger

Directed by:  Wim Wenders

starring:  Bruno Ganz, Solveig Dommartin, Otto Sander, Curt Bois, Peter Falk

Wings_of_Desire.jpeg

Number of First place votes: 0

imdb synopsis:  An angel tires of overseeing human activity and wishes to become human when he falls in love with a mortal. 

Tomato Meter:  98%, 8.6/10

Academy Awards:  0 wins and 0 nominations

The film is about invisible, immortal angels who populate Berlin and listen to the thoughts of its human inhabitants, comforting those who are in distress. Even though the city is densely populated, many of the people are isolated or estranged from their loved ones. One of the angels, played by Bruno Ganz, falls in love with a beautiful, lonely trapeze artist, played by Solveig Dommartin. The angel chooses to become mortal so that he can experience human sensory pleasures, ranging from enjoying food to touching a loved one, and so that he can discover human love with the trapeze artist.  If this sounds familiar it's because the 1998 Nicolas Cage Meg Ryan film, City of Angels, is based on Wings of Desire.  This is a German film that had a limited US release but has since become one of the defining films of the 80's.

Random critic comment:  A sublimely beautiful, deeply romantic film for our times.  David Stratton---Variety

Random fake forums user comment:  A beautiful, haunting, melancholic, manifestation of all of our fears and desires set in one of the most beautiful but bucolic places in the world.---- Lisa

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Coming up later today:

Merchant Ivory's tale of sexual awakening

Toots Sweet is killed with a part of the body meant for pissing with.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Coming up later today:

Merchant Ivory's tale of sexual awakening

Toots Sweet is killed with a part of the body meant for pissing with.

The first is Maurice, but I have no Idea what the second one is.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I'm not a huge fan of WINGS OF DESIRE. I should probably see it again. 

I share the first part. I just think it's kinda cheesy. Except the Peter Falk parts which are great.

• Like 1