baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

I've not seen Withnail and I, The Dead or Wings of Desire.  I'll be seeing them this week.  That's the great thing about these lists, it helps you discover long lost films.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Fatal Attraction

Written by:  James Dearden

Directed by Adrian Lyne

Starring:  Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer

large_hX8g72nySQOxldxeEVPyrsWdjN7.jpg

Number of First Place Votes: 1

Imdb summary:  A married man's one-night stand comes back to haunt him when that lover begins to stalk him and his family.

Tomato Meter:  78%, 6.7/10

Academy Awards:  0 wins, 6 nominations

One of the most controversial films of the 80's, it also turned into one of the biggest box office surprises.  Made on a shoestring budget of 14 million, it took in 320 million WW.  The term, bunny boiler originated from this film and is now one of the more famous scenes from the 80's.  If you haven't seen the film, just google bunny boiler, or better yet, find the film and give it a watch.  

Alex Forrest ( Glenn Close) was originally scripted slashing her throat at the film's end with the knife Dan had left on the counter, so as to make it appear that Dan had murdered her. After seeing her husband being taken away by police, Beth finds a revealing cassette tape that Alex sent Dan in which she threatens to kill herself. Upon realizing Alex's intentions, Beth takes the tape to the police, which acquits Dan of the murder. The last scene shows, in flashback, Alex taking her own life by slashing her throat while listening to Madame Butterfly.

This resulted in a three-week reshoot for the action-filled sequence in the bathroom and Alex's death by gunshot. Her shooting by Beth juxtaposes the two characters, with Alex becoming the victim and Beth taking violent action to protect her family.

In the 2002 Special Edition DVD, Close comments that she had doubts re-shooting the film's ending, because she believed the character would "self-destruct and commit suicide". However, Close gave in on her concerns, and filmed the new sequence after having fought against the change for two weeks.

Random Critic Comment:  An exceptionally well-written, well-acted and well-directed thriller that extends beyond the boundaries mainstream films typically set....Richard Cracknell..Movie News

Random Forum Member Comment:  A pretty by the numbers thriller but elevated by some great performances and score. Amazing it was a Best Picture nominee and highest grossing film of 1987:  John Marston

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Hide contents

Fatal Attraction

Written by:  James Dearden

Directed by Adrian Lyne

Starring:  Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer

large_hX8g72nySQOxldxeEVPyrsWdjN7.jpg

Number of First Place Votes: 1

Imdb summary:  A married man's one-night stand comes back to haunt him when that lover begins to stalk him and his family.

Tomato Meter:  78%, 6.7/10

Academy Awards:  0 wins, 6 nominations

One of the most controversial films of the 80's, it also turned into one of the biggest box office surprises.  Made on a shoestring budget of 14 million, it took in 320 million WW.  The term, bunny boiler originated from this film and is now one of the more famous scenes from the 80's.  If you haven't seen the film, just google bunny boiler, or better yet, find the film and give it a watch.  

Alex Forrest ( Glenn Close) was originally scripted slashing her throat at the film's end with the knife Dan had left on the counter, so as to make it appear that Dan had murdered her. After seeing her husband being taken away by police, Beth finds a revealing cassette tape that Alex sent Dan in which she threatens to kill herself. Upon realizing Alex's intentions, Beth takes the tape to the police, which acquits Dan of the murder. The last scene shows, in flashback, Alex taking her own life by slashing her throat while listening to Madame Butterfly.

This resulted in a three-week reshoot for the action-filled sequence in the bathroom and Alex's death by gunshot. Her shooting by Beth juxtaposes the two characters, with Alex becoming the victim and Beth taking violent action to protect her family.

In the 2002 Special Edition DVD, Close comments that she had doubts re-shooting the film's ending, because she believed the character would "self-destruct and commit suicide". However, Close gave in on her concerns, and filmed the new sequence after having fought against the change for two weeks.

Random Critic Comment:  An exceptionally well-written, well-acted and well-directed thriller that extends beyond the boundaries mainstream films typically set....Richard Cracknell..Movie News

Random Forum Member Comment:  A pretty by the numbers thriller but elevated by some great performances and score. Amazing it was a Best Picture nominee and highest grossing film of 1987:  John Marston

Iconic film indeed.

I understand that Fatal Attraction was one of the biggest watercooler-conversation/buzz-worthy films of the eighties and that it made a whole generation of men a tad paranoid about the possibility of having an affair. It's certainly one of the best known (if not THE best known) examples of the 'Woman-from-hell" quasi-movie genre (right?)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Good Morning Vietnam

Written By:  Mitch Markowitz

Directed by Barry Levinson

Starring:  Robin Williams, Forrest Whitaker, Bruno Kirby

good-morning.jpg

Number of First Place Votes:  1

Imdb summary:  In 1965, an unorthodox and irreverent DJ named Adrian Cronauer begins to shake up things when he is assigned to the U.S. Armed Services radio station in Vietnam.

Tomato Meter:  90%, 7.3/10

Academy Awards:  0 wins and 1 nomination (Robin Williams first nomination)

Made at a time when films on the Vietnam war were being produced by America at a healthy rate, Good Morning, Vietnam comes across as the sort that falls into both 'types' that were being produced at the time. Platoon got under the skin of Vietnam, telling the events from an individual's perspective through voice overs without relying on a lot of causality, rather the everyday tasks and events that occur. Full Metal Jacket was an interesting beast in the sense most of its more intense scenes didn't actually happen in Vietnam but rather at home on the training ground. But both were in a sensible tradition and took attention away from the Reaganism inspired 'action' films that were Rambo: First Blood Part II and the like.Good Morning, Vietnam falls into both these sorts of Vietnam war films. On one hand it is a serious film about the war and deals with serious issues such as morale and how dangerous conflict with the enemy actually is without doing what Rambo did by turning the war genre into a sub-division of the action genre. At one point in the film, DJ and lead character of the film Adrian Cronauer (Williams) finds himself in a hostile area out in the jungle and you do feel the shift in atmosphere the film briefly moves into in the sense this guy is not a soldier but he is in a dangerous position and he isn't equipped with how to get through it. There is another scene in which a street side bomb goes off and Adrian is caught up in the middle of it, further reminding us of the war zone and cleverly shifting the aura.  But first and foremost, this is a comedy and one that benefits from Williams and his manic comedic performance.  There's really no other actor who could do what Williams did.  He could have you crying and laughing all in the same take.  This is perhaps his best performance.

Random Critic Comment:  Make no mistake about it: Mr. Williams's performance, though it's full of uproarious comedy, is the work of an accomplished actor. ''Good Morning, Vietnam'' is one man's tour de force.... Vincent Canby, NY Timess

Random User Comment:  Man, they just don't make them like this anymore.  Jandrew

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Iconic film indeed.

I understand that Fatal Attraction was one of the biggest watercooler-conversation/buzz-worthy films of the eighties and that it made a whole generation of men a tad paranoid about the possibility of having an affair. It's certainly one of the best known (if not THE best known) examples of the 'Woman-from-hell" quasi-movie genre (right?)

Agreed 100%.  I remember discussing the film with my drama teacher in class one day.  He said he didn't feel sorry one bit for Dan (the Michael Douglas character).  I disagreed.  While what he did was wrong, both he and Alex knew the game and she knew he was married.  And she did kill his kids bunny, kidnap his son and try to murder him.  That hardly seems like a logical and fair comeuppance.

Spoiler

Spaceballs

Written by:  Mel Brooks, Ronny Graham, Thomas Meehan

Directed by:  Mel Brooks

Starring:  Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Mel Brooks

spaceballs.jpg

Number First Place Votes:  0

Imdb Summary:  Planet Spaceballs' President Skroob sends Lord Dark Helmet to steal planet Druidia's abundant supply of air to replenish their own, and only Lone Starr can stop them.

Tomato Meter:  57% (proving that critics don't have a sense of humour), 6.3/10

Academy Awards:  LOL

When Mel Brooks developed Spaceballs, he wanted his parody to be as close to the original as possible. Even though Yogurt mentioned merchandising during the movie, Brooks's deal with George Lucas on parodying Star Wars was that no Spaceballs action figures be made. According to Brooks, "[Lucas] said, 'Your [action figures] are going to look like mine.' I said OK."

Brooks also had Lucas's company handle the post-production, saying, "I was playing ball with the people who could have said no." Lucas later sent Brooks a note saying how much he loved Spaceballs and that he "was afraid [he] would bust something from laughing".

Bill Pullman got the part of Lone Starr when Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft saw him in a play—he had never seen Star Wars prior to filming. Brooks had been unsuccessfully trying to sign on big-name actors such as Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks for the film. Pullman said, "I think was hurt that they didn't take him up on it ... but then it attracted two of the big comics at that time: John Candy and Rick Moranis. Once that was secured, then he said, 'Heck, I'll get somebody nobody knows!' And I got a chance to do it."

Daphne Zuniga initially found Brooks's film parodies "too crass and not too funny", but after working with Brooks, she said, "I have this image of Mel as totally wacko and out to lunch. And he is. But he's also really perceptive, real sensitive in ways that make actors respond."  Spaceballs didn't do much at the box office (38 million) but it has gone on to become somewhat of a cult classic.

Random Critic Comment:  Most jokes have a forced quality, but there's something gleefully self-aware about them, like the vaudeville comedian whose act consists of telling bad jokes and laughing at them, but doing it all with exquisite timing. Jeffrey Anderson:  Combustible Celluloid

Random User Comment:  

One of my favorite comedies of all time.

Agreed about it being so quotable. Even the little throw away jokes i love.

VESPA: Monastery? Where?

LONE STARR: Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy.

Easily an A.

@75livesinDerry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

And she did kill his kids bunny, kidnap his son and try to murder him.  That hardly seems like a logical and fair comeuppance.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's probably because no woman IRL would ever do that. Especially after behaving perfectly sane and normal up until the magic moment when the affair ends.

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I've not seen Withnail and I, The Dead or Wings of Desire.  I'll be seeing them this week.  That's the great thing about these lists, it helps you discover long lost films.

Because I'm feeling generous and optimistic I predict that you'll hate at least one of these, heh. The initiative is more important though

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's probably because no woman IRL would ever do that. Especially after behaving perfectly sane and normal up until the magic moment when the affair ends.

Because I'm feeling generous and optimistic I predict that you'll hate at least one of these, heh. The initiative is more important though

It's very possible.  But at the same time, I try to be open minded when watching films.  I think the first one I'm going to tackle is Withnail....providing it's on my Android box.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Babette's Feast

Written by:  Gabriel Axel

Directed by:  Gabriel Axel

Starring:  Stephanie Audran, Brigitte Federspiel, Bodil Kjer

babettes4.jpg

Number of first place votes:  2

Imdb Summary:  During the late 19th century, a strict religious community in a Danish village takes in a French refugee from the Franco-Prussian War as a servant to the late pastor's daughters.

Tomato Meter:  96%, 8.5/10

Academy Awards:  1 win and 1 nomination

This movie embodies the soul of modern "elite" foodculture, even though the movie is 17 years old. The standing principle in the movie is: Food is more than just nourishing matter. It is also a powerful symbol and a medium for culture itself. The main characters literally get drunk on the finest wine and food, become inspired by idealistic thoughts and culture, as they let go of their puritanism and passion-denying table manners. Karen Blixens short story makes use of the difference between North Europe and South Europe, to point out their inherently different approaches to food. As the strict and and rather dull Scandinavians get infused with "Eros" from south, the party gets going.

Some have said this is a movie about the renewal of faith.  Babette gave them another way to look at life; not a replacement, but an enhancement. She shared all that she had with those who gave what little they had to her. I see the story of God in here. He sent his only son to man. Man could not possibly give anything that would equal that. So, for our small sacrifice, we are given an ultimate treasure and are transformed because of it. In this film the bickering townspeople have so consumed themselves with a small interpretation of God. Babette showed them that life and God can indeed be beautiful in it's fullest sense. The love that God's son showed to man is the love we should show to one another and our lives will be the richer for it. Even the film is a metaphor. It seems slow in the beginning, but the investment of time and attention to detail is rewarded in the end. It was truly a feast.

Random Critic Comment:  It's a flawless adaptation of the story Isak Dinesen (pseudonym of Karen Blixen) wrote for a bet that she could be published in the popular middlebrow Saturday Evening Post.  Phillip French...UK Observer

Random Fake Forum Member Comment:  Un spectacle délicieux et grand, juxtaposé aux difficultés profondes de conviction et de foi. Un beau film à tous les niveaux.  @dashrendar44

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

#80) Prince of Darkness

#81) Suspect (Liam Neeson plays a mute)

#82) Bad Taste

#83) Brave Little Toaster

#84) Ishtar (one of the biggest bombs of all time)

• Like 2