baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

Spoiler

The Last Emperor

Written by:  Bernardo Bertolucci, Mark Peploe

Directed by:  Bernardo Bertolucci

Starring:  John Lone, Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole

52107_front.jpg

Number of First Place Votes:  1

Imdb Summary:  He was the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, the absolute monarch of China. He was born to rule a world of ancient tradition. Nothing prepared him for our world of change.

Tomato Meter:  92%, 8.1/10

Academy Awards:  All of them (9 nominations and 9 wins including best picture and director)

Bernardo Bertolucci proposed the film to the Chinese government as one of two possible projects - the other was an adaptation of La Condition Humaine (Man's Fate) by André Malraux. The Chinese preferred The Last Emperor. Producer Jeremy Thomas managed to raise the $25 million budget for his ambitious independent production single-handedly. At one stage, he scoured the phone book for potential financiers. Bertolucci was given complete freedom by the authorities to shoot in The Forbidden City, which had never before been opened up for use in a Western film. For the first ninety minutes of the film, Bertolucci and Storaro made full use of its visual  splendour.  However, even with the backing of the Chinese, the film had difficulty finding an audience as it took in only 44 million WW.

Random Critic Comment:  One of the most provocative and stunningly beautiful films of the past 20 years.....Peg Aloi Boston Phoenix

Random Fake User Comment:  A pretty cool movie of epic proportions, but long as fuck.... @Ethan Hunt  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Hide contents

The Last Emperor

:gold:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Reveal hidden contents

:lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Hide contents

The Last Emperor

52107_front.jpg

Number of First Place Votes:  0

Imdb Summary:  He was the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, the absolute monarch of China. He was born to rule a world of ancient tradition. Nothing prepared him for our world of change.

Tomato Meter:  92%, 8.1/10

Academy Awards:  All of them (9 nominations and 9 wins including best picture and director)

Bernardo Bertolucci proposed the film to the Chinese government as one of two possible projects - the other was an adaptation of La Condition Humaine (Man's Fate) by André Malraux. The Chinese preferred The Last Emperor. Producer Jeremy Thomas managed to raise the $25 million budget for his ambitious independent production single-handedly. At one stage, he scoured the phone book for potential financiers. Bertolucci was given complete freedom by the authorities to shoot in The Forbidden City, which had never before been opened up for use in a Western film. For the first ninety minutes of the film, Bertolucci and Storaro made full use of its visual  splendour.  However, even with the backing of the Chinese, the film had difficulty finding an audience as it took in only 44 million WW.

Random Critic Comment:  One of the most provocative and stunningly beautiful films of the past 20 years.....Peg Aloi Boston Phoenix

Random Fake User Comment:  A pretty cool movie of epic proportions, but long as fuck.... @Ethan Hunt  

I voted for The Last Emperor in first place, does this mean my vote wasn't counted?

• Sad 1

Babette's Feast being at #15 is a pleasant surprise.

Good Morning Vietnam is a lot more dramatic then it is actually comedic. Great film too.

Spaceballs is very amusing, Tele be damned. 

Haven't seen Fatal Attraction in years, but I remember it being a generic thriller elevated by some fantastic performances (particularly Close's of course).

Last Emperor is very solid. It is a bit "too much" yes, but in terms of production & story progression, I think it's greatly done. 

3 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

ISHTAR deserves way better than mid-80s. I'm

guessing maybe no one saw it?

I've seen it. Can't say I was a big enough fan to put in my top 25.

Edited by Fancyarcher