Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CJohn

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales | May 26, 2017 | It's better than "On Stranger Tides", I guess

6,476 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I disagree that it is "not saying much" since Pirates 2 especially is really good. 

Same here, I love the first 3 to death.

3 people like this

I am still wondering how this will do.  I know latest tracking beginning of the month was encouraging but it is not guaranteed to do that. I am also now wondering if WW will overshadow it.  Another installment will definitely depend on box office performance

Posted (edited)

Not sure about domestic, but it'll doing huge business overseas (in the $600-700M range).

Edited by TheMovieman

47 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Not sure about domestic, but it'll doing huge business overseas (in the $600-700M range).

Not guaranteed with the current exchange rates. Brazil's exchange rate got even more fucked today, because our country is literally at an worst shape than the US, and I don't say that lightly because the US is also screwed. 

Wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the snoozefest of the 4th movie if you guys are wondering. Depp and Bardem were excellent. Very entertaining fun, a worthy Pirates film. I still  obviously prefer the first two films over POTC5.

Soundtrack was good too, don't always need Zimmer. 

23 people like this

If majority of the GA consider 5 better than 3 and 4, I can see 2.7x off the 3-day.

That might seem low and Pro.BO is using 3x off the FSS, but imo 3x is not common for a sequel.

Also the Sundays in MD weekend are inflated due to holiday on Monday.

2.7x off MD FSS would be solid. 75 3-day (90+ 4-day) will get it pass 200.

Posted (edited)

On 17.05.2017 at 11:19 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Not sure if it's still as popular as it was in its heyday. OST was also released at the high of the 3D craze. Anyway I'd be surprised if this one cracks 2 billion rubles.

yeah you're probs right re: 3D + it will have exchange rates battling against it & WW & Mummy will take some screens in the coming weeks

But its super popular still judging by what I see online (yeah may  be misleading tho). +there's new audience grown for it.

I saw a kid a couple of days ago in a movie theater (about 5 yrs od) running to the poster with the screams 'DADDYYY DADDYY its Jack Sparrow!!! we're gonna go see JACK SPARROOOOWW' :rofl:

this boy probs wasnt even born @ the times of OST )))

thx guys of BOT for your impressions!!:wub:

very encouraging (tho I too LOVE the 3logy to pieces & it will never compare to Gore:D)

Edited by Leyla

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

I disagree that it is "not saying much" since Pirates 2 especially is really good. 

I never knew the consensus about Pirates 2 is that it was "mediocre to bad" until I started reading this site actually. It's always been my favorite movie of the franchise.

I'm very optimistic.

9 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Not guaranteed with the current exchange rates. Brazil's exchange rate got even more fucked today, because our country is literally at an worst shape than the US, and I don't say that lightly because the US is also screwed. 

Yeah, RIP our economy.

Posted (edited)

The 5 minutes I saw in front of Guardians didn't do much for me (also why did the ghost pirates send the zombie sharks first when they can run on water like they do at the end of the scene?) but if it is better than the last few I'll take it.

Edited by cookie

This needs a good OW.  WW will kill it the second weekend

2 people like this

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the snoozefest of the 4th movie if you guys are wondering. Depp and Bardem were excellent. Very entertaining fun, a worthy Pirates film. I still  obviously prefer the first two films over POTC5.

Glad to hear this! Your reaction is lining up with what we heard from a few months ago. Can't wait.

Posted (edited)

so what happened to the hacking? 

told you it was a PR scam. people easily forget and move on, but disney got some publicity.  shameless

Edited by Alli

It wasn't a PR scam.  The hackers were bluffing.

Dont be fools, you aren't going to get the FBI involved for a publicity stunt.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

and who says the FBI was really involved? disney just used the fbi's name. that's all. there was no investigation...nothing

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Does it leave it open for another film? I assume the final adventure tagline was a bluff.

21 minutes ago, Alli said:

so what happened to the hacking? 

told you it was a PR scam. people easily forget and move on, but disney got some publicity.  shameless

Or maybe with people getting caught and arrested doing the same ransom blackmail with a big India blockbuster this week they decided to not take the chance (specially if they got the movie in the same way, via a movie theater owner that now know they will know with watermark that the movie come from him):

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-piracy-blackmail-plot-fails-six-arrested-170517/

That group had sent really high resolution footage of the movie to prove they had the file thought (the news often plug the Pirates/Disney in that India movie leading to arrest, to the point that it was in the Pirates case that people were arrested before reading the article).

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Do they call authorities and not sent the email in the junk folder if the hackers do not provide solid proof they have the file thought (they usually send some footage I would think, they did in the other case) ?

Small company receive hundreds of scam scheme every year of that type and just put them in the trash, I would imagine Disney too.

Edited by Barnack

Posted (edited)

looks like it's gonna do big business OS but the look of SK and China numbers from International/China thread. :hi5:

@John Marston Campea is full of shit lately, talks about his sex life on Collider video - nobody cares, too much information, dude, you are gross, STFU.

Agreed,POTC:DMC is a perfect summer popcorn. 

Edited by Valonqar
3 people like this

19 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

That's great to hear, I might go see this after all. Was afraid it was like the last one.

1 person likes this