Beginning on August 1, 2017 all free accounts will have the same avatar size as all paid accounts. This means you will be able to upload larger avatars on that day if you have a free account and this will no longer be a paid perk.

CJohn

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales | May 26, 2017 | It's better than "On Stranger Tides", I guess

Macleod    904
40 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Honestly as a die HARD fan of the series. I felt I was getting spit on.

I think these director are stupid. Listened to an interview on the Empire podcast and read another one, with them and they are clueless airheads. No idea how they got the money. 

They say things that directly and fully in contradiction to what GORE says in the Commentary and Making of for Pirates COTBP. Like they are fucks who couldn't even take the time to hear what the director of the trilogy said. And its beyond obvious. They talk in detail about Jacks character in 1 and say things that are legit the exact opposite of what Gore says.

Hmm...not sure exactly what you're speaking of, but the following thoughts occurred to me:  If people were this precious about James Bond on film, for example (well, some people are), that series would have never survived over 50 years and however many men have played him through often wildly different interpretations.  Yes, I know we have the same actor embodying the role here, in Depp, but actors also don't like to do the same things over and over, of course.  What might be creatively interesting for Depp in this character, or for different filmmakers (besides the money) may rub against 'fundamentalist' interpretations of the material, but clearly Jerry Bruckheimer and audiences globally still see enough of *something* in this franchise to be enticed to go see it. 

I'm pretty sure Bruckheimer and Disney have offered each subsequent movie to Verbinski, and you can't blame them for wanting to keep a very successful franchise going...   I, myself think it would be nice to probably end it at this one...but they probably won't, considering how well it's doing.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

Alli    1,034

Bruckheimer put the nail in the coffin for depp. sure pirates made JD rich, but he lost on the creativity front.

The jack sparrow character is played out...they beat it to death, that now JD is seen as a caricature. It will be hard to overcome this period. But i believe depp is a good enough actor to succeed and be a respected actor again.

Now Bruckheimer is about to do the same to cruise with top gun 2. i don't know how these actors don't see when its time to stop and leave these franchises die

• Like 3

Ethan Hunt    16,461
53 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Honestly as a die HARD fan of the series. I felt I was getting spit on.

I endorse this statement 200%

• Like 1

Jay Hollywood    13,725
13 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Hmm...not sure exactly what you're speaking of, but the following thoughts occurred to me:  If people were this precious about James Bond on film, for example (well, some people are), that series would have never survived over 50 years and however many men have played him through often wildly different interpretations.  Yes, I know we have the same actor embodying the role here, in Depp, but actors also don't like to do the same things over and over, of course.  What might be creatively interesting for Depp in this character, or for different filmmakers (besides the money) may rub against 'fundamentalist' interpretations of the material, but clearly Jerry Bruckheimer and audiences globally still see enough of *something* in this franchise to be enticed to go see it. 

I'm pretty sure Bruckheimer and Disney have offered each subsequent movie to Verbinski, and you can't blame them for wanting to keep a very successful franchise going...   I, myself think it would be nice to probably end it at this one...but they probably won't, considering how well it's doing.

Your post doesn't apply here at all. this isn't fucking James Bond.  This is a LEGECY sequel NOT a reboot or reimagining cant just ignore things from other movies and cant change who characters are. 

If the director TFA  decided to say that Han Solo in his mind would have NEVER come back and saved Luke in A NEW HOPE. Then changed the character in TFA to match what I thought he would have done in his version 40 years ago is not a new interoperation. It would be a WRONG ONE. 

Theres a difference between growth and actually changing WHO the character was and saying that didnt exist. 

Also why are you defend them? you have no idea what I'm talking about. Did you listen to the interviews and commentary? 

• Like 1

CoolioD1    58,117

i didn't hate the film (by which i mean it has a fun first half, lol the second half is trash) but yeah i was disappointed by how they did jack wrong with this one. he was pretty much a useless idiot. didn't do a damn thing right the whole movie. one of the good things about the character is never being 100% sure if he's ahead of everyone else or just totally lost but it was pretty clear here.

• Like 3

Macleod    904
2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Also why are you defend them? you have no idea what I'm talking about. Did you listen to the interviews and commentary?

Why am I defending the filmmakers?  Because I liked the film.  And as someone else already said, you can't take that away from me.  :P

I don't know specifically which commentaries or interviews you're referring to, because you didn't make it clear.  But I'm not that invested in this franchise to study every little nuance of the original intention of the filmmaker.  Filmmakers' own interpretations are important to a degree, but what matters is what you can interpret from the film itself regardless of "artist's intention."  And I see some great artistry in this film. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

Arlborn    7,608
7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't hate the film (by which i mean it has a fun first half, lol the second half is trash) but yeah i was disappointed by how they did jack wrong with this one. he was pretty much a useless idiot. didn't do a damn thing right the whole movie. one of the good things about the character is never being 100% sure if he's ahead of everyone else or just totally lost but it was pretty clear here.

I see what you are saying and I wonder if maybe that's what @Jay Hollywood is actually complaining about though, that Jack Sparrow looks a bit too slow in this one considering how cunning he has always seemed but I quite liked that they decided to show him at his lowest point in life where not even his famous luck and wit were of much use for him(he still ended up where he wanted though).

To be honest this movie seemed more like a set up to get him back on his feet and connected once again to the others than anything else so I'll go ahead and say that I'd like to see a sequel to really finish it all up(yeah right).

• Like 1

Jay Hollywood    13,725
43 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I see what you are saying and I wonder if maybe that's what @Jay Hollywood is actually complaining about though, that Jack Sparrow looks a bit too slow in this one considering how cunning he has always seemed but I quite liked that they decided to show him at his lowest point in life where not even his famous luck and wit were of much use for him(he still ended up where he wanted though).

Its one of very very very many issues. But thats a surface level view of it even. 

One of the things The directors flat out said on the interview that jack has NO ARC in ANY of the films. thats why they aren't smart. On the surface sure, but any fan or real director would know and see the character does grow, does change, does evolve in every film actually and his ARC is FREEDOM the ship. They ignored that and we got half assed versions of characters we love. 

On a side note,  It would 10xxx better if Jack wanted to go. And actually helped the plot and played into the story and was into trickery again.

instead of complaining about the journey what if he wanted to go, to redeem him self, his name, he sees this trip as a way to get back on top, To free the Black Pearl,  to re-earn the legacy he once had and is in the all the stories of the past 

If Sparrow was down and out, ready to die, and no longer the best pirate we've ever seen, then we need to see him involved in his journey to go back to form.

• Like 1

ttr    178
This movie doesn't have a sword fight. It sucks

But Jack and Salazar do have a sword fight, don't they? Or is it too little too late?
  • Like 2

a2knet    11,959

If Gore and Davy Jones came back for #6, and Jack Sparrow was removed, what potential do you guys think the movie would have?

110 dom, 440 os, 550 ww?

Without both Gore and Depp, they could make one on a budget of 150 and get it to 500-550 ww if Davy, Dutchmen and Kraken (in POTC uni coming back from dead is no biggie) are in it.

Spoiler

and it's a decent film

Would be worth a shot to find out if they can launch further mid-budget (relative to POTC) sequels/spin offs successfully.

Edited by a2knet

Ethan Hunt    16,461
8 hours ago, ttr said:

But Jack and Salazar do have a sword fight, don't they? Or is it too little too late?

They do have a very brief one that is hacked up into a million cuts. Not a proper one

• Like 1

Sean B    1,262
On 6/13/2017 at 5:25 AM, a2knet said:

If Gore and Davy Jones came back for #6, and Jack Sparrow was removed, what potential do you guys think the movie would have?

110 dom, 440 os, 550 ww?

Without both Gore and Depp, they could make one on a budget of 150 and get it to 500-550 ww if Davy, Dutchmen and Kraken (in POTC uni coming back from dead is no biggie) are in it.

Hide contents

and it's a decent film

Would be worth a shot to find out if they can launch further mid-budget (relative to POTC) sequels/spin offs successfully.

Gore Verbinski is not coming back to direct a 'Pirates 6'. Once he was finished with Pirates 3 he wanted nothing more to do with this movie franchise, and that is why we didn't see him return to direct Pirates 4 and Pirates 5. 

• Like 1

kowhite    14,256

Pirates 6 isn't gonna happen for some time.  Let's be real.  Disney isn't Paramount, they're not desperate.  And this doesn't play in China like TF does.

That being said, I'm sure it'll get revived sometime down the line.  Old Sparrow given enough time might be enticing.  

• Like 2

expensiveho    82

Finally watched this.

I feel like there's a great movie hidden somewhere.

Most of the jokes didn't land, the comedy parts were awfully written (the whole script was below average tbh, the way it handled Jack's character didn't make sense)

But my main problem was the direction. It was painfully bad. With Verbinski this could've been on par with Black Pearl or at least with the rest of the trilogy (which I love). Also, there were 3 scenes with awful CGI, wtf? Didn't expect that from a Pirates film.

Kaya and the guy were nice, I'd like to see them again. Depp is a huge NO unless they sit on this franchise for +10-15 years.

Maybe they could pull spin-offs and then return to the main franchise in a decade or something (Young Jack got me hyped tbh). C'mon Disney, make it work.

Edit: Forgot to say I liked it, just thought it had huge potential and they wasted it.

Edited by expensiveho

John Marston    14,426
7 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Finally watched this.

Most of the jokes didn't land, the comedy parts were awfully written (the whole script was below average tbh, the way it handled Jack's character didn't make sense)

But my main problem was the direction. It was painfully bad. With Verbinski this could've been on par with Black Pearl or at least with the rest of the trilogy (which I love). Also, there were 3 scenes with awful CGI, wtf? Didn't expect that from a Pirates film.

Kaya and the guy were nice, I'd like to see them again. Depp is a huge NO unless they sit on this franchise for +10-15 years.

Maybe they could pull spin-offs and then return to the main franchise in a decade or something (Young Jack got me hyped tbh). C'mon Disney, make it work.

Edit: Forgot to say I liked it, just thought it had huge potential and they wasted it.

Actuallu thought the humor worked. Story needed some work though (the compass part especially)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Finally watched this.

Why is Depp a big No? Just wondering.

Sean B    1,262
On 6/29/2017 at 0:30 AM, John Marston said:

Actuallu thought the humor worked. Story needed some work though (the compass part especially)

My understanding of the compass aspect of the story is that Jack got the compass from the guy who we saw him get it from in Pirates 5. Which happens to be when Jack is younger as we see to be the case in Pirates 5. Then he gave it to Tia Dalma for a trade and then he stole it from her in Pirates 2. 

Jay Beezy    2,878
37 minutes ago, Sean B said:

My understanding of the compass aspect of the story is that Jack got the compass from the guy who we saw him get it from in Pirates 5. Which happens to be when Jack is younger as we see to be the case in Pirates 5. Then he gave it to Tia Dalma for a trade and then he stole it from her in Pirates 2. 

He had the compass in Pirates 1, we just didn't know it pointed toward what you wanted most, just that it didn't point north as normal compasses do. There's no scene in Pirates 2 where we see that compass in Tia Dalma's possession and Jack stealing it.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Jay Beezy    2,878
12 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Sean B just lost all his Prates/Disney fanboy points. 

Oh, god. :lol:

Within the context of the original three films, Jack got his compass from Tia Dalma. Was it really necessary for Pirates 5 to say he got it from someone else before giving it to Tia Dalma before getting it back? Sounds like a redundant backstory detail in the vein of Bourne's father or Han Solo's real name.

• Like 2