Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

On 5/19/2017 at 3:55 PM, Kalo said:

Man, I really was hoping Hardy would take on a better SH role, Like Green Lantern.. still, my interest in this film has increased substantially now.  

It's not like he can't take another role as well. His working relationship with WB is good, so it's possible something will work out there, too. 

On 5/20/2017 at 11:19 AM, a2knet said:

From what I read, HOMECOMING 2 in 2019 is the last appearance of Spidey in MCU?

So if Sony releases VENOM in 2018 - and one VENOM origin movie without Spidey making an appearance is fine imo - they can have Spiderman and Venom in a movie by 2020/2021.

Maybe they hope/plan to let Holland to keep playing Spidey.

Just like Bat and Sup coming together in BVS, 2020/2021 could have a SPIDEY-VENOM movie acting like HOMECOMING 3/VENOM 2.

It's probably not correct to say that SM:H2 will be the final MCU appearance for Spider-Man. It's more likely that there's a contract between Sony and Marvel for the character for a set number of films and appearances (two solo films and some number of Avengers spots? I dunno). At that point, it doesn't mean MCU Spidey is done, just that the contract is finished.

And it's not going to be like Marvel and Sony are going to go "oh, well, so much for that". If they both like how it turned out, they can work out another contract, and MCU Spidey will continue. If there isn't an agreement, it won't be.

I'd also say it's a bit too premature to say whether or not Venom or any other Sony superhero film will or won't be in the MCU. Like anything with filmmaking, these aren't necessarily linear processes. Sony wants to use the IP it has control over, and is going to develop those films. They're probably keeping Marvel abreast of their plans and negotiating to see if it's possible to tie those plans into the MCU. If that works out, they can tweak the films in development to fit into that framework. If it doesn't, they can tweak it otherwise to remove references. The question of whether Venom is in the MCU may not be relevant to the story being told, in fact. They could make the movie in an open-ended way and tie it in later.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It's not like he can't take another role as well. His working relationship with WB is good, so it's possible something will work out there, too. 

Maybe one of his roles already fall throw with SS though, I am glad he will be in something people might actually see though at least, and I actually like Venom as a character, I just don't trust Sony to make a good movie. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Maybe one of his roles already fall throw with SS though, I am glad he will be in something people might actually see though at least, and I actually like Venom as a character, I just don't trust Sony to make a good movie. 

That was because the shoot for The Revenant went way over schedule, though, not because WB had any problem with him.

15 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

That was because the shoot for The Revenant went way over schedule, though, not because WB had any problem with him.

I know, I just think he might be too busy, Mad Max 5 is hopefully coming sooner than later. and also I know Hugh wanted him to be the next wolverine, and I would be totally fine with that. 

Edited by Kalo

5 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

It's probably not correct to say that SM:H2 will be the final MCU appearance for Spider-Man. It's more likely that there's a contract between Sony and Marvel for the character for a set number of films and appearances (two solo films and some number of Avengers spots? I dunno). At that point, it doesn't mean MCU Spidey is done, just that the contract is finished.

What's the difference, considering without the contract MCU Spidey can't reappear?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Hopefully if this turns out to be hugely successful they can probably give the rights to Spider-Man (Except of course Venom) back to Marvel. 

Hide contents

Yea I know wishful thinking. :ph34r:

Ehh...no.  If anything, this film's success would encourage Sony to *hold on* to the film rights as long as they can!

I am hopeful about this project.

People seem too hard on Sony :)

I wish SM4 had happened. But ASM1 (B) was good and better than SM3 (C+) imo.

ASM2 was bad (C/C+) but no reason why Sony cannot come back with a good film in VENOM.

Tom Hardy is a solid choice and a move in the right direction.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I suppose fans who are still hoping that Holland’s Spider-Man could eventually face off against Hardy’s Venom might, in the quest to find a silver lining here, point out that Feige didn’t specifically nix the idea of those two incarnations of the characters ever meeting. Technically, he said Venom wouldn’t show up in the MCU, but he never said that Holland’s version of Spider-Man couldn’t appear in Sony’s shared universe. That outcome seems far more plausible to me than the reverse, because wouldn’t it be nuts for Sony to build an entire cinematic universe around Spider-Man characters but never plan to actually include the webslinger himself in that universe?

That question never stops bugging me (even though I am excited and rooting for Sony's Venom).

What is Sony's end game with Venom...they can't go more than 1 movie without SM meeting Venom. Maybe Venom is supposed to the the baddie in their female-Avengers type movie they feel absence of SM won't matter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, a2knet said:

That question never stops bugging me (even though I am excited and rooting for Sony's Venom).

What is Sony's end game with Venom...they can't go more than 1 movie without SM meeting Venom. Maybe Venom is supposed to the the baddie in their female-Avengers type movie they feel absence of SM won't matter.

I'm thinking the same.

• Like 3

I just hope that Sony and Disney are both playing a giant charade w/us all and this actually is an unofficialized spin-off of Homecoming, because it makes zero sense to have a Spider-Man Universe... without Spider-Man. And it makes even less sense than that to have Venom in there yet no Spidey, cause Spidey completes Venom's existance after all.

Then again, I was hoping that Life would bring that twist up, and it didn't happen. But on the other hand, it's not impossible to hide a secret in Hollywood even in this day. Disney did a fantastic job of keeping most of Force Awakens a mystery. And the 10 Cloverfield Lane thing was a stroke of genius (though that a huge advantage of being attached w/a film that no one really cared about at 1st).

• Like 2