baumer

BSG Movie Trivia worth 20,000 points is up.

I am going to keep this place clear as it seems every time i want to edit the title, it screws up the way the post is set out and i constantly have to change the editing style. For a full recap of the game it is on page 10.

Edited by The Amazing baumerman

AND HERE WE GO!!WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL BAUMER'S SUMMER GAME 2012! This is the 5th Annual Summer Game:THE GAME:Hello fellow BOM'ers. Welcome the FIFTH annual BAUMER'S SUMMER GAME. Last year we had more than 75 players register and about 55 consistent players in the games. The second year we had about 70 and the first year there was about 35. This is a four month game that begins this year on Friday May 4th with the release of The Avengers and culminates on Monday September the 3rd. This means the last weekend of the game will be Labour Day weekend and the grosses will count up to and including Monday the 3rd.PLEASE REMEMBER THAT GROSSES FOR ALL FILMS WILL ONLY COUNT UP UNTIL MONDAY SEPTEMBER 3rd.This year we will be predicting the top 12 films of the summer. These predictions are due by Wednesday May 2nd at midnight Box Office Theory Time. You will post your predictions in this thread. There are no pm's. Everyone predictions are here for everyone to see. Nothing to hide. What this means is that if you are influenced by others and you want to copy what they think, that is up to you. But this game is won or lost over many different elements. Every element is important. If you target one player and copy their top 12 and they have a few bad calls, you will do the same. My advice to everyone is to be yourself. You have a month to analyze this films coming out this summer. Use that month to read up on and study the films slated for release this summer. It's a lot of work, no doubt. But the fun of the game is your reward.Another piece of advice i can give is to read Shawn's 2012 preview located in the link below:http://boxofficetheo...orecast-top-10/This year, I have decided that we will be doing a lot more to challenge your box office acumen. I think you will be pleased with some of the changes. But first, onto what we already know.The second and biggest part of the game is that every week I put up "bonus questions" that are worth 12,000 points every week. There will also be bonus points each week rewarded for several different accuracy measures. You will experience this as the game goes on. There are several weeks with bigger releases that the points available will total up to 50,000 points. I decide if the week will be worth 12,000 points, 50,000 points or anywhere in between. To make it fair and so that all of the cards are on the table, after the release of TDKR, there will only be one week that can be worth more than the standard 12,000 points (plus other bonuses). This is to keep the game fair.There will also be SOTM (SPUR OF THE MOMENT QUESTIONS) asked every once in a while. These literally are spur of the moment questions. I don't have a set amount as to how many there will be, but they will be worth no more than 8000 points each. Again, there will be some stipulations, and very few mind you, where some special ones may go as high as 15,000. To make this fair and transparent, I'll promise that this year, no more than FIVE SOTM QUESTIONS WILL BE WORTH 15,000. The rest will stay at 8,000. The SOTM questions can change the balance of the game, no doubt, but they are also a staple of this game and although they create some controversy, they will remain. The reason for this is that I like them.A typical looking SOTM scoring scheme will look like this:Tell me, will The Avengers have a second Friday of more than 15 mill?8000 if you get it right.-5000 if you get it wrong.2000 if you choose not to answer the question (abstain).Here's how the game will work. AND PLEASE READ VERY VERY CAREFULLY. And if you have any questions, ask me because once the game starts, you must abide by STRICT deadlines. If you miss a deadline on any question, you absolutely, unequivocally will not qualify for that question. So if i ask that a SOTM question be answered by 4pm on July 6th, and your answer is submitted or edited after that time, you will be disqualified from that question. I will rule on this without passion or prejudice. IT WILL BE STRICT. I hope everyone understands this.To qualify for the prizes, you have to be in this game from the beginning. You must have your predictions in before Wednesday May 2nd at midnight Box Office Theory Time.If you are in a different time zone, it is your responsibility to figure out the conversion.NOW PAY ATTENTION HERE: Here is the game structure and all that is involved. For those of you who have played before, you will notice some significant changes.This year, you have to predict the top 12 films of the summer. That means you have to tell me, in order, what the top 12 films, by gross, will be for the summer.For example, if you think The Expendables 2 will finish 1st with 450 million dollars, you would put that 1st. If you think Snow White and the Huntsman finishes 2nd with 400 mill you put that and so on.Here is an example of what your top 12 would have to look like:1) The Dictator: 485 mill2) Ice Age 4: 420 mill3) Brave: 215 mill4) Neighborhood Watch: 199.9 mill5) Battleship: 185 mill6) Rock of Ages: 165 mill7) Snow White: 164 mill8) GI Joe: 160 mill9) That's My Boy: 13710) The Dark Shadows: 12511) Chernobyl Diaries: 12512) The Samaritan: 115This is just a sample of what you need to do. Tell me, in order with the gross, what films will finish top 12 for the summer.POINT SYSTEM: The point system will be very similar to last year, but with a few changes. You will rewarded even more for accuracy.For every film you call correctly in the top 12, in any order, you will get 15,000 points. For every film you call in the exact spot, you will get 25,000 points. So you must think this out thoroughly. You will also lose 10,000 points for every film in the top 12 that you call incorrectly. So, for example, if say The Dark Knight Returns will be in the top 12 twelve, and it misses the top 12, you will lose 10000 points PLUS whatever you miss the gross by.And one more caveat to this is the double whammy rule. If you call a film to hit the top 12 and it misses, you will lose points for missing the top 12 and you will lose points if the gross misses by more than the 40 million allotted to you. If however you call a film incorrectly in the top 12 but you are within the 40 million, YOU WILL NOT GET CREDIT FOR THOSE POINTS. This is a rule that I have always wanted to be in the game but through unclear wording, it never has been. That changes this year. This is a game of accuracy and as such your rewards are high as is your punishment.Back to the scoring.If you are able to call the top three positions right, in order, regardless of the gross, you will get a 75,000 point bonus.If you are able to call the top four positions right, in order, regardless of the gross, you will get a 100,000 point bonus.If you can call the top five positions right, in order, regardless of gross, you will get a 250,000 point bonus.If you are a genius and can call all 12 right, in order, regardless of gross, you will get a 750,000 point bonus and basically win the game.As a side note, in the FOUR previous years in this game, no one has called the top five correct yet.OTHER ADD ONS:Call SPOTS 3-5 correct, regardless of order, and receive a 150,000 point bonus.Call 6 of the 12 films correctly, regardless of the order, and receive a 150,000 point bonus.Call 9 of the top 12 correct, regardless of order, receive a 300,000 point bonus.Call all 12 correct, regardless of order, and you get a 500,000 point bonus.This does not eliminate the bonus points originally mentioned, it will just add to them. So for example, if you happen to call the top five positions correctly, you will get the 250K bonus for having the top 5 in any order, PLUS YOU WILL GET THE 150k BONUS FOR HAVING POSITIONS 3-5 IN ORDER.So even if you are not doing so well with the bonus points, a huuuuuuge premium is put on calling the films in the right order, so do your research.For the gross that you predict, for every film that you call within 20 mill, you will get 10,000 points. If you call it within 30 mill, you get 5000 bonus points. If you miss the films gross by 30.01-40 mill you will not lose any points. From 40.01 to 60 mill you lose 5000 points. For every 20 mill you miss after the first 60 mill, you will lose 1000 points per 20 mill. Even if you miss the gross by 61 mill, that extra 1 mill will cause you to lose a full 1000 points.For even more of an accuracy bonus, if you can call any film within 5 million of the actual gross, you will receive a bonus of 20,000. If you can call the gross within 2 million, you get a bonus of 25,000.Predicting the top 12 and their gross is very, very difficult, especially since you have to have this in before May 2nd. ONCE YOUR PREDICTIONS ARE IN, YOU CANNOT CHANGE THEM AFTER May 2nd.By popular demand and because we have a huge contingent of international players, I'm going to have an international flavour to game also.To add some flair, here is how it will work.International Flair #1:Tell me what the WW top 5 of the summer will be. The point structure will be as follows:Every film you call in the top 5 correct, you get 10,000 points. If you call the top 3 spots in order, you get a bonus of 25,000. If you can call all 5 in order you will get a 100,000 point bonus.Call the gross correct within 50 mill: 10,000 pointsCall the gross within 50.1 mill to 75 mill 5000 ptsCall the gros within 75.1 to 100 mill 2500 pts.Miss the WW gross by more than 100 mill and you lose 10,000 points.If you call a film in the top 5 that doesn't appear in the top WW top 5, you will lose 10,000 points.International Flair #2:What five films will have the best weekends World Wide? I realize some films open day and date, and others do not. This is why it is now just best weekend. For every film in the top 5 you call correctly, you get 15,000 points.For every film you call incorrectly, you lose 8,000 points.If you call 3 of the top 5 correctly, regardless of order, you get a 20,000 point bonus.If you call all 5 correctly, regardless of order, you get a 75,000 point bonusPLEASE READ CAREFULLY:Here is something new this year.Tell me what films will finish with the 7 best opening weekends domestically. Opening weekends will include any films gross that starts at midnight on Thursday (so this can include a Thursday opening if applicable) and culminates with the Sunday gross. One caveat to this is that if a film changes it's release date, only the gross from Thursday to Sunday will count. So for example, if Battleship suddenly decides that it wants to open on a Wednesday, only the gross from Thursday to Sunday will count. There will be no exceptions to this.Scoring for best opening weekends:For every film you call correctly in the top seven, regardless of order, you will receive 10,000 points. For every film you call in the exact spot it opens, you will get 15,000 points. If you are able to call 5 of the 7 correctly, you will receive a 75,000 point bonus. Call all seven correctly, you get a 150,000 point bonus. For every film you call incorrectly in the top 7, you lose 7,000 points.I had a blast running this last year and it will be just as much fun this year. I hope all of you participate. The three winners last year were incredibly accurate and I expect nothing less this year.This thread will be the thread where the summer game discussion will take place. Once the game starts, there will be a whole new forum opened where we will post our weekly answers and so on. More on this later as the information becomes available.One final thing:I score this game by myself. There is no magic program to determine points, so sometimes points might not be done right on time. I work two jobs and have a family, so sometimes you will have to be patient with me while i score the game. I do have some help this year with excel programs and so on so it should be much more accurate.PRIZES: ALL IN CANADIAN CURRENCY (the payout of cash or certificate will be your choice)1ST PLACE: $50.00, PAID IN CASH OR A CINEPLEX GIFT CERTIFICATE2ND PLACE: $30.00, PAID IN CASH OR A CINEPLEX GIFT CERTIFICATE3RD PLACE: $20.00, PAID IN CASH OR A CINEPLEX GIFT CERTIFICATEYou have almost 6 weeks to do your research, post your top 12 and get ready for a lot of fun this summer!!LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!HERE ARE YOUR FIRST PRE SEASON BONUS QUESTIONS THAT MUST BE ANSWERED BEFORE MIDNIGHT MAY 2NDTHESE WILL BE WORTH A TOTAL OF 10,000 POSSIBLE POINTS.10,000 IF CORRECT-5000 IF INCORRECT3000 FOR TELLING ME THAT YOU ARE ABSTAININGTell me, of these five films, which one will be the lowest grossing of the summer. Only these five films can you choose from.1) Diary of a Wimpy Kid 22) Savages3) Tyler Perry's The Marriage Counselor4) People Like Us5) Seeking a Friend for the End of the WorldFOR AN ADDITIONAL 10,000 Tell me, within 5 million dollars, what its gross will be. Anyone who calls this within 5 million dollars (note you MUST CALL THE CORRECT FILM TO QUALIFY FOR THE 5000 BONUS PTS) whether it is over or under the total, will get the 10,000 points.Second Bonus Question:Tell me which of these will be the highest grossing film of the summer:1) Magic Mike2) Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter3) Dark Shadows4) The DictatorFor 10,000 POSSIBLE bonus points, tell me, within 5 million dollars, what its gross will be. Anyone who calls this within 5 million dollars (note you MUST CALL THE CORRECT FILM TO QUALIFY FOR THE 10,000 BONUS PTS) whether it is over or under the total, will get the 10,000 points.Third Bonus Question:Tell me, of these five films, which will be the highest grossing?1) Total Recall2) The Dictator3) Dark Shadows4) The Expendables 25) ParanormanFor 15,000 bonus points, call the correct film within 5 mill.Any questions please let me know.THIS BONUS QUESTIONS ARE DUE BY MIDNIGHT MAY 2ND.GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER.TRIPLE BONUSHere are your 16 bonus questions that have to be answered before the MAY 2ND start date.Question 1: Will the Opening Weekend (3 day) record be broken? The current record holder is HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS 2 WITH $169,189,427.Answer it correctly: 15,000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 8000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 8000 points) 3000 points.Question 2: Will the opening day record be broken? This includes all monies earned from midnight as well, but will not include any money earned from early start times like 8pm and so on). The current record holder is DH2 WITH $91,071,119.Answer it correctly: 15,000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 8000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 8000 points) 3000 points.Question 3: Will any film this summer open to a worldwide opening weekend of more than 400 million? (THIS WILL INCLUDE ANY 5 DAY WEEKENDS. WHATEVER IS REPORTED FOR THE ACTUALS ON MONDAY EVENING WILL BE THE NUMBER WE GO BY).Answer it correctly: 15,000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 8000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 8000 points) 5000 points.Question 4: Will any film make more than 60 million this summer in FRANCE?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 8000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 8000 points) 3000 points.Question 5: Will any film make more than 85 million dollars this summer in the UK box office?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 8000 points) 5000 points.Question 6: Will any film make more than 50 million in CHINA this summer? Both Transformers 3 and DH2 did more than 60 in China last year.Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 7: Will at least 2 films make one billion WW this summer?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 8: Will at least 2 films, listed as a comedy by Box Office Mojo, make more than 100 million dollars this summer?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 9: Will at least 2 animated film have a WW gross of more than 700 million dollars?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 10: Which combination of films will make more money domestically?1) The Avengers, The Bourne Legacy, Step Up 4, Rock of Ages2) The Dark Knight Returns, Ted, Neighborhood Watch3) Brave, MIB 3, Battleship, Prometheus4) Madagascar 3, The Amazing Spiderman, Piranha Double DD's, Snow White and the HuntsmenAnswer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 5000 points) 3000 points.Question 11: Will any film make more than 30 million in Russia this summer?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 12:Will TDKR and The Avengers combined make more this summer than the other top 5 films combined (domestic only)?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 13:Will at least three films gross more than 100 mill opening weekend?Answer it correctly: 15000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 10,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 10,000 points) 3000 points.Question 14:Will The Avengers or The Dark Knight Returns have a better Saturday drop than The Hunger Games?Answer it correctly: 25,000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 15,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 15,000 points) 5000 points.Question 15:Will The Amazing Spider-man have a better gross than TDKR in any of these three regions:JapanChinaSouth KoreaAnswer it correctly: 25,000 pointsAnswer it incorrectly: lose 15,000 pointsChoose not to answer ( and you must state that you are not answering..failing to do so will automatically result in a loss of 15,000 points) 5000 points.PLAYERS:There may be more preseason bonus questions added before the start of the game. It is doubtful, but I hold the right to add a question if it seems right.Bonus Question of all Bonus Questions:This is a four parter:1) Will TDKR make at least 500 million domestically?2) Will TDKR make more than 580 million internationally?3) Will TDKR do at least 40 million for midnights?4)) Will TDKR make at least 1.1 billion WW?Scoring: All questions you answer correctly are worth 7000 points. You can go for as many as you like.Here is the catch: Every answer you call incorrectly you lose 10,000 points.There are no points for abstaining, with one caveat down below. ***Even more bonus and more treachery:If you go 4/4 you get a 28,000 point bonus. So this means you will get a total of 56,000 points for this question (7000X4 plus 28,000 point bonus)However, if you go for all 4 you must get all four correct. If you get even one incorrect, you will lose 15,000 points. So what this means is, if you go for all four and even if you get 3/4 correct, not only will you NOT get the 11,000 but you will lose a full 15,000 points.This question is worth a lot of points for those ballsy enough to go for all 4, but it will kick your ass if you get too cocky.Remember, you don't have to answer any of them. Or you can answer as little as you want. It's totally up to you.You can choose to go for as many or as little as you want.***CAVEAT***If you choose to abstain from all 4, you will get 5000 for doing so.You must tell me if you are abstaining.NEW QUESTION:This is a four part question. Again, you have choices.Choice A, answer any part of the question. Each answer you get correct you will receive 7000 points. Each answer you get wrong, you will lose 7000 points. If you go for all four parts of the question, you must get all four parts correct. If you get even one wrong after going for it all, you will lose 7,000 points. You can go for all of it, none of it and some of it. Choice is yours.17)A) Will any film listed as a horror film by boxofficemojo.com gross more than 100 million dollars this summer?Will any film listed as a horror film by boxofficemojo.com open to more than 32.5 mill?C) Will any film listed as a horror film by boxofficemojo.com have a second weekend drop of less than 43%?D) Will any film listed as a horror film by boxofficemojo.com have an opening day of more than 10 mill?Get any question right: 7000Get any question wrong: -7000Abstain from all four questions: 5000Go for all four, and get all four correct not only will you get the 28,000, you get a bonus of 28,000. But you must go for all four to qualify for the bonusGOOD LUCK!!There are a lot of preseason points to be had here. You can also lose A LOT OF points here or if you want, there are plenty of bonus points just for not answering the questions.Good luck all, and remember these are due by May 2nd at midnight BOT time.IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL, PLEASE ASK THEM IN HERE.Thanks.

It's a big commitment guys and that's why i do try to include some monetart prize at the end of it. Things haven't been great for me finaincially the last 18 months but I'm hoping this year is better. So I am almost 100% sure there will be cash prizes. It might not be too big, but it will be up there for sure. At least $100.00 in prizes...so 1st 2nd and 3rd.

It's a big commitment guys and that's why i do try to include some monetart prize at the end of it. Things haven't been great for me finaincially the last 18 months but I'm hoping this year is better. So I am almost 100% sure there will be cash prizes. It might not be too big, but it will be up there for sure. At least $100.00 in prizes...so 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Money or not I will be there to help and play, but the money won't hurt. :P

• Founder / Operator

Still always think of Battlestar Galactica when I read BSG. :lol:

Same here! :lol:Can't wait for this. This will be my fourth year, and as busy as I'm going to be this year I just *have* to play.

Still always think of Battlestar Galactica when I read BSG. :lol:

That was the first thing that entered my mind when I saw the thread's title.My predict this year: my predicts are going to tank. Edited by C00k13

This summer will be the best BSG ever. Last year was great and it was a really predictable year, only two breakouts, Smurf and Bridesmaids and a few people called them. This summer the order will be all over the place and the range is huge. I'm putting TDKR down for 600m. :)

I am going to attempt to play the game, I always seem to loose it the first 2 weeks in. haha

This is what you have to get out of your head VS. You are never out of this...EVER until the last points are counted. Ask anyone and they'll confirm it.