CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

Is this Rated-R? That was pretty clearly blood splatter from a headshot which doesn't happen in PG-13 movies. 

The trailer was was alright I guess. Nothing as a major standout, the empty August will help it for sure.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is this Rated-R? That was pretty clearly blood splatter from a headshot which doesn't happen in PG-13 movies. 

The trailer was was alright I guess. Nothing as a major standout, the empty August will help it for sure.

This doesn't look like a rated r film AT ALL. Hell, Hunger Games looks less PG-13 and safe than this from the first trailer alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbA63a7H0bo

You can't tell me that this trailer looks more well produced than this one either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, The Panda said:

Ugh I took this off my summer game because I figured it'd be delayed.  With no competition, this doesn't even need that great of a campaign to pull decent numbers.

Yep, I don't see it not making the top 15. It's likely locked for a 3x-3.5x depending on reviews since there's nothing in its target market until September 15th. I actually think it and Emoji will coast their way into the summer top 10, assuming Mummy underperforms slightly and TF5 plummets.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: $430 million
  2. Spider-Man - Homecoming: $355 million
  3. Despicable Me 3: $315 million
  4. War for the Planet of the Apes: $245 million
  5. Dunkirk: $235 million
  6. Wonder Woman: $220 million
  7. Cars 3: $210 million
  8. Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales: $180 million
  9. The Dark Tower: $170 million
  10. The Emoji Movie: $145 million
  11. Transformers - The Last Knight: $135 million
  12. Baywatch: $125 million
  13. The Mummy: $120 million
  14. Girls Trip: $105 million
  15. Captain Underpants: $100 million

9 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Told you guys this is no good...the trailer is weak and shows lack of confidence. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

It feels to me like you always have something negative to say about most movies before they come out. I know it's not true as I'm sure you say positive stuff about some of them but that's the general feeling I get when I read your posts.

Not saying you will turn out wrong or right here, just an observation.

Just now, grey ghost said:

I like Idris but I thought this was supposed to be a dark and trippy dreamscape and it comes off like a generic skybeam ( @Tele Came Back )

movie.

And the cheesy kid side kick...a complete dealbreaker.

He's a very tragic figure in the books and there are tropes regarding him that are subverted. I don't know how much they'll change in the movies though; they might go with a more generic path for the kid here indeed, I have no clue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

You've read the books right? Do you mind elaborating on your feelings?

There seems to be very little of the books there except in the broadest sense. Maybe it's just the trailer, but it feels like most of the weird and different has been shaped into something more conventional. 

I did like the gunslinger oath that Elba recites -- and that most definitely is from the book. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I like Idris but I thought this was supposed to be a dark and trippy dreamscape and it comes off like a generic skybeam ( @Tele Came Back )

movie.

And the cheesy kid side kick...a complete dealbreaker.

The kid is integral to the story. He's not a sidekick at all. Not sure how much they're compressing and changing, though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I don't like how they compared the man in black to the devil in this trailer though, was that somehow in the books? Cause to me he's at the same time more and less than that, I'm not sure he can be defined by such comparison. He's more... Insidious, inevitable; he's an agent of decay, not the decay itself. He's way more subtle than the devil would be.

I don't remember how hes compared to the devil in the dark Tower but I do know that there was a line in the Stand when Abigail says that the man in Black is not exactly the devil but he's definitely one of his higher up kind of soldiers. In other words he's pure badass.

• Like 2