CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

There seems to be very little of the books there except in the broadest sense. Maybe it's just the trailer, but it feels like most of the weird and different has been shaped into something more conventional. 

I did like the gunslinger oath that Elba recites -- and that most definitely is from the book. 

The kid is integral to the story. He's not a sidekick at all. Not sure how much they're compressing and changing, though. 

But shouldn't the tone be more like The Road and less like Goosebumps. :kitschjob:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

But shouldn't the tone be more like The Road and less like Goosebumps. :kitschjob:

The tone of the books varies, and sometimes varies significantly. That being said, this didn't feel particularly like them.

This is gonna be LEGEND OF THE SEEKER all over again (on a bigger scale). :( 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't remember how hes compared to the devil in the dark Tower but I do know that there was a line in the Stand when Abigail says that the man in Black is not exactly the devil but he's definitely one of his higher up kind of soldiers. In other words he's pure badass.

I haven't read that book yet and I definitely should get on it. :(

It's right here next to me actually - I'm staring at it as I write this, but it's such a huge book and I've already got so much to read and watch and do... I'll try to read it sometime in July though.

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

There seems to be very little of the books there except in the broadest sense. Maybe it's just the trailer, but it feels like most of the weird and different has been shaped into something more conventional. 

I did like the gunslinger oath that Elba recites -- and that most definitely is from the book. 

I thought you were all for adaptations that aren't just slavish remakes? ;)

On a more serious note I get what you're saying and I agree with you that it seems like they've compressed a lot into it and lost too much along the way but then again they've got the whole "Horn of Eld and this being a sequel rather than an adaptation" excuse to change some things as they please, but as long as they've kept the essence of the story and they understand what the story is truly about then I'm game to at least give it an open-minded try.

It does seem like maybe they decided to try to keep away from the more controversial parts of it for this first movie and making a more traditional black and white tale in the hopes of hooking as much of an audience as possible to get all that darker stuff in an eventual sequel though, so that does worry me.

But hey, it's as you said, that last part of the trailer was great and gives me hope.

Also it's just a small trailer and I feel like I'm already over-thinking it way too much... I can't help it though, these books are just pretty important to me.

1 minute ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

50M OW and around 120M Domestic finish.. "IT" will be the Real Winner folks.. You watch..

I'm thinking 40M OW - 120M myself, with its legs being simply due to a pretty empty August for itself. I'd love a 50M OW though, that should make it go over 120M DOM.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

The tone of the books varies, and sometimes varies significantly. That being said, this didn't feel particularly like them.

This is gonna be LEGEND OF THE SEEKER all over again (on a bigger scale). :( 

Hey, I kinda like it... It totally missed the point of the books of course but still, come on, the only way you could capture a series like The Sword of Truth on screen is doing something like Game of Thrones and even then the second half of the material would completely alienate half the audience, which is exactly what happened with the books actually. My God, I read them in my early twenties and they felt so heavy and hard to read through - I don't think I could ever read through them again.

15 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

That really doesn't mean anything. C'mon now. 

Never said it means anything. I was just surprised, because I'm one of the few people who loved TASM 2.

I should have used better words, but that's what I meant when I wrote the previous comment. XD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I assume this movie might have a 100 million budget ( based on all the effects the trailer shows ).

Surprisingly, the budget is only $60 million. I don't know how they did it, but a sequel or at the very least the TV show follow-up look likely to happen.

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I thought you were all for adaptations that aren't just slavish remakes? ;)

I don't care about plot specifics, but I do care about tone. :P

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Hey, I kinda like it... It totally missed the point of the books of course but still, come on, the only way you could capture a series like The Sword of Truth on screen is doing something like Game of Thrones and even then the second half of the material would completely alienate half the audience, which is exactly what happened with the books actually. My God, I read them in my early twenties and they felt so heavy and hard to read through - I don't think I could ever read through them again.

I think we're thinking about different book series. :lol: And it's because I confused the title -- I could've sworn the movie was called LEGEND OF THE SEEKER but it actually was THE SEEKER: THE DARK IS RISING. (One of my favorite fantasy series growing it.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I don't care about plot specifics, but I do care about tone. :P

I think we're thinking about different book series. :lol: And it's because I confused the title -- I could've sworn the movie was called LEGEND OF THE SEEKER but it actually was THE SEEKER: THE DARK IS RISING. (One of my favorite fantasy series growing it.)

Ah right, I was talking about a TV show called LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.

Well, I've never read that book but I actually watched the movie you're talking about last December around Christmas and it's indeed a very bad movie. You're really comparing this one to that? Damn, surely it can't get that bad? That one felt like it had 1/3rd of this one's budget as well.

Edited by Arlborn

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Well, I've never read that book but I actually watched the movie you're talking about last December around Christmas and it's indeed a very bad movie. You're really comparing this one to that? Damn, surely it can't get that bad? That one felt like it had 1/3rd of this one's budget as well.

I've actually never seen the movie -- the trailer was enough. :lol: It's a smaller story than this, it didn't need a vast budget. But it seemed like most of what I thought was interesting and great about the books was ditched for something far blander.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

I've actually never seen the movie -- the trailer was enough. :lol: It's a smaller story than this, it didn't need a vast budget. But it seemed like most of what I thought was interesting and great about the books was ditched for something far blander.

Alright, fair enough.

Hold on to that last line in the trailer and don't let go though, have some faith! I doubt it will be that bad with the talent involved and King's own blessing.

Edited by Arlborn