Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost ProtocolGlorietta mall, Philippines (regular cinema only)95% full out of a 400 seater theater (TrailersBattleship - Good response with the special effectsGI Joe: Retaliation - no reactionSnow White & The Huntsman - some reaction when "Bella" and "Thor" appearedMadagascar 3 - some laughsHugo - no reactionMovie:Really great actions scenes, people were engaged. Simon Pegg was a great comic relief. Paula Patton and Jeremy Renner did solid job and there were some reactions like "Tom Cruise is old!" when he first showed up on screen but overall Tom did a fine job

Edited by forg

NEW

War Horse (2 screens, 10 showings)

The Darkest Hour 3D (1 screen, 7 showings)

We Bought A Zoo (1 screen, 5 showings)

Don 2 3D (1 screen, 5 showings)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2 screens, 10 showings)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2 screens, 10 showings)

HOLDOVERS

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (2 screens, 11 showings)

Young Adult (1 screen, 6 showings)

The Sitter (1 screen, 7 showings)

Hugo 3D (1 screen, 5 showings)

SHARED SCREENS

IMAX The Adventures Of Tintin 3D/Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2 showings/4 showings)

The Adventures Of Tintin 3D/The Adventures Of Tintin (5 showings/1 showing)

Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked/We Bought A Zoo (6 showings/1 showing)

Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked/The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (5 showings/1 showing)

The Muppets/War Horse (6 showings/1 showing)

Arthur Christmas/New Year's Eve (3 showings/3 showings)

LEAVING

The Descendants (4 weeks, 2 days)

Happy Feet Two (4 weeks, 5 days)

Immortals (5 weeks, 5 days)

Jack & Jill (6 weeks)

Tower Heist (6 weeks, 5 days)

Young Adult, 4:20 show, maybe ten people there. Don't remember the trailers. Then- double feature- TGWTDT, 7:00 show, almost sold out the largest auditorium. Ghost Rider 2's trailer got some unintentional laughs, while Expendables 2 even got some applause. Interesting.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Tuesday, 7:00 PM

Crowd: 80-100 people, this theater usually doesn't get too crowded so I'd say it was a good showing. Diverse age range- 20s+

Trailers:

Haywire- Eh. I dunno about this one. I think they're trying to sell this as the anti-Jolie female action movie but Gina Carano is no actor and you can already tell it in the trailer, not to mention it just looks stupid. N/R

21 Jump Street- Looks pretty funny. Good reaction

Contraband- Looks like shit. If I have to see this one more time I'll scream... N/R

Ghost Rider 2- Ugh. Did not need to know this was happening. I laughed when Nic Cage came on screen. Didn't get much response.

The Devil Inside- I think this looks good... scary trailer. Got a ton of chatter after

Film:

I'm still processing it. While it is one of the best movies of the year IMO, I did feel a little cold about the whole thing, like maybe I was expecting too much. I think I was expecting Fincher to do something vastly different with the material than what was already done with the Swedish original, and while this certainly had signature Fincher style and better production values and prettier stars, my first reaction was that it was more the same. The audience seemed to react strongly to it, though I'm not sure in which way- there was alot of chatter going out of the theater. The woman next to me was audibly shocked by the anal rape scene- which by the way was very graphic and disturbing, so kudos for not pulling any punches.

I'll have to write something more detailed in RTM tomorrow.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I just got back from a double feature and really dont want to do a whole crowd report.Sherlock Holmes 2: I actually thought this was better then the original and the ending was great. The movie got a very good reaction.Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Still thinking about it but I think this is no doubt (currently) Best Picture in my book. It got a great reaction

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

7:30 showing, 250 seat theater- sold out, and I arrived 40 minutes early. After it ended I checked the board as I was leaving and both later shows were sold out too. SH2 had 2 sell outs on the night and MI4 had at least 3, the final showing wasn't sold out but it might have later.

Trailers-

John Carter- pretty good reaction

21 Jump Street- there was reaction, but it's hard to call it good, there was some laughing and mocking of it.

Ghost Rider 2- mixed would be the best description, but as soon as it said "3D" there were some harsh comments.

The movie-

Wow. 2011 definitely saved one of the best for last, definitely in my top 5 but it needs time to sink in before I pick where in my top 5 it ends up.

Right from the opening credits where there was a visual extravaganza with the music the audience was right into it. It would be nearly impossible to give much in the way of crowd reactions without spoilers, but suffice to say there are scenes that make you squirm and there were a few walk outs after a couple of the more intense scenes (if you see it you'll know which ones). Exit chatter was overwhelmingly positive.

I don't know about best picture but Rooney Mara put in a best actress performance in my mind, and I honestly wouldn't have been able to pick her out of a line up before this movie.

9.5/10

• Like 1

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo7 pm, Tuesday, around 80% full, CanadaTrailers:The Devil Inside: Girl next to me was frightened, some murmurs of people wanting to go see it. I kept wondering why it wasn't released around Halloween.Ghost Rider: some guy made a joke about Nic cage crappy movies, looks awful.21 Jump Street: Got the loudest reaction, lots of laughter and people saying they want to see it.Contraband: Second loudest reaction, Mark Wahlberg love expressed.Girl with the dragon tattooI was unaware that this movie was opening on cheap night till I got there. I ditched most of my friends who went to see Sherlock Holmes and saw this instead. That said I am glad I did. The movie does start a little slow, and feels disjointed until the leads start to collide. I have seen the original films so I wasn't surprised by anything but I was drawn in to the story and found myself just as anxious and on edge even knowing what was coming. The opening credits are a bit trippy and unexpected, but it did set the scene for me and I found myself noticing the music alot in this movie and enjoying the music; nice score.There are some scenes that are rather graphic and some people were shying away from watching them. I imagine if you didn't know the original stories/movies, those might be off-putting. I did notice some a couple leave after the most graphic scene (they did return though). I think most people liked the movie when it was over.I found myself trying to compare it to the Swedish movies and finding that I liked both; think I prefer original Michael and Lisbeth.That said definitely an A movie. Best movie I have seen since October probably. I don't know if there will be Oscars but 9/10 for me.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

7 PM, 12/20/11 - 25 people.

Trailers - there were eight, at least. I was about to leave.

Contraband, 21 Jump Street, and the rest I forgot.

Movie -

Oh my Godddddddddddddddd. From the opening credits and the Immigrant Song (SO MUCH BETTER ON THE BIG SCREEN AND BLASTING) to just about all 20 rape and sex and revenge scenes, the chase, and the rest of it with Irene Nesser (my favorite part of the movie) and the ending of course, like two minutes long but so perfectly amazing.

Lisbeth's dialogue is so great and full of awesome one-liners. May I kill him? Yes. Touch me and I'll more than alarm you. Hey hey! And she's so different with Palmgren, I love it. Then her scenes with Blomkvist half way through are so well written and they get really close towards the end - and then the end ruins it all.

Blomkvist is less sexy than the book but I guess it doesn't matter, there's enough sex here. In the scene with the Enya (right?) song he rocks.

Everyone else is great, especially Henrik and Erika (even though she's barely in it).

Then there's the score - music really is playing in most scenes, though mostly very low and used as an undertone. It picks up in the most random places and they use tracks you wouldn't expect (for anyone that is aware of the names, While Waiting plays when they find the dead cat, I know, WTF?)

The cinematography is just as great as The Social Network if not better. There's more shaky cam scenes but very few. There's lots of cool shots though, like when the camera glides over 3-4 desks and ends up behind Lisbeth.

Just, woa. I'm seeing this again next week.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

6:45 showing

Theater was fuller than I've ever seen it; maybe 35%.

Trailers:

we showed up a little late... probably missed TDKR trailer

The Dictator - no reation and looked lame

This Means War - plenty of laughs, especially at the end

Jack the Giant Killer - decent reaction. I had no interest beforehand but it looks ok.

Review: My 4 friends and I all loved it. The last half-hour is almost... mesmerizing.

Solid A.

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

Harkins IMAX , Tempe AZ

3:40pm , 1/3rd full.

There is one cool sequence involving a screen ! Good car chase ! The comedy that Pegg was suppose to produce was quite subdued, not as good as Murdoch. They took this one less seriously. Renner was OK, I had never heard or seen the girl actor before, she was OK as well. No famous villian which was a draw back. The storyline was confusing to follow. Action sequences was excellent. I don't quite understand the 95% RT Fresh rating.

C+

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 49:30PM, Wednesday192 seats, 50% FullTrailersI only saw 2 trailers because I was lateDrive - It is already out of this theater, never saw it.Safe House - AwesomeMovie: The best action movie is years. Tom Cruise is still one hell of a star. Paula Patton was stunning and Pegg was great. I also liked Renner. Brad did a fantastic job directing this movie. The action sequences are amazing. 9/10------------------------------THE RUM DIARY1:20PM, Thursday97 seats, 3 people (including me and my mom)TrailersLate, the movie was starting when I arrivedMovie: WOW this was great. It was a great tribute to Hunter S Thompson. Johnny Depp was great, as always, and I had a lot of fun with the movie. Amber Heard is just... I don't have words to describe her. She is stunning, a mermaid, like Depp says at the beginning. I loved the movie and it is a shame that it flopped. 8.5/10

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

Harkins IMAX , Tempe AZ

3:40pm , 1/3rd full.

There is one cool sequence involving a screen ! Good car chase ! The comedy that Pegg was suppose to produce was quite subdued, not as good as Murdoch. They took this one less seriously. Renner was OK, I had never heard or seen the girl actor before, she was OK as well. No famous villian which was a draw back. The storyline was confusing to follow. Action sequences was excellent. I don't quite understand the 95% RT Fresh rating.

C+

A C+? Wow.

Posted Image

The Artist

4:30PM Friday, December 23rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 145 (20% full; mostly old folks)

Ticket Price: $11.50

TRAILERS:

Pariah - good trailer, some talking from audience.

Albert Nobbs - the trailer gets creepier upon multiple viewings and the song is cheesy. No reaction.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - funny trailer, excellent reaction.

Regeneration - looks like an awesome music documentary; garnered some whispers of support from audience.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - please... I'll trust any movie with Ewan McGregor in it. This got some laughs from audience, too.

W.E. - this was the first I'd heard of this Madonna-directed movie, but it looks like an interesting take on the history of 1930's British Royalty. A lot of "Hmmms" from audience.

The Iron Lady - very powerful trailer, and a good reaction too.

THE FILM:

When I first saw a trailer for The Artist, I got goosebumps, which to me means only one thing: watch this movie as soon as possible! Unlike most of the films whose trailers have given me goosebumps, however, The Artist does not fall short on its promise. It not only earns all the high praise its received among critics, but also restores your faith in the preservation of cinematic history and story-telling.

In case you haven't heard of the film, it's about a silent movie star who has a chance-encounter with a budding young actress, and following his opposition to appear in talkies (movies with talking/dialogue), his career begins to fall while the young actress experiences a meteoric rise to fame. Since The Artist itself is a silent film, it depends largely on the physical performances of its leads--Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, and Oggy (an exceptionally talented dog)--and an amusingly orchestrated score. Despite this being the first full-length silent film I've ever watched, I've gotta confess how huge a fan I am of the style. But more interestingly, I'm fascinated by how significantly this style intertwined with the story being told... the two really depend on each other. And then I love how the absence of dialogue forces you to really concentrate on the nature of the scenes and the physicality of the performances.

Honestly, again, the trailer does an excellent job selling the package, so I linked it below for you to watch. I will definitely be rooting for The Artist come the night of the Oscar telecast; especially in the Best Actor, Score, and Sound Editing/Mixing categories. With a bus load films that are out for the holidays (many of which I've seen already), it is The Artist that I recommend to all people of all ages to go see.

With pleasure.

THE VERDICT: 10.0 / 10.0, A+

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM

Edited by Andy Stitzer
  • Like 1

Seeing as i'm stuck on the M11 as a bored passenger, may as well do a belated report

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - The IMAX Experience

12/21/2011 13:00

BFI London IMAX

500 seater sell out

Trailers

Puss in Boots - Some laughs, especially when he's chasing the light. Strange trailer to have as it's been out for a few weeks now.

Star Wars Episode I - A lot of chattering, hearing THAT music out of THOSE speakers is bloody mesmerising.

John Carter - Seemed fairly quiet, i'm sold.

These were followed by....

The Dark Knight Rises Prologue

I thought it was awesome, as did my friend. The rest of the crowd seemed pleased as it got a round of applause at the end of it.

Movie

I thought it was awesome. Considering that this is the first Mission Impossible movie i've seen all the way through, I had no problem keeping up. The action was awesome as to be expected, and the scenes on the Burj Khalifa were absolutely incredible, real heart in mouth stuff. Gave me bloody vertigo.

The cast were great, Pegg was great for comic relief, the woman was hot and Renner did the job. But Cruise. He's back, he is BACK! Pure awesome from him. Start to finish.

Have to admit, my only problem with the film was the villain being a bit underdeveloped, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing Mikael Nyqvist's first blockbuster (I loved him as Blomqvist in the swedish dragon tattoo).

Overall though, an awesome action movie to send the year out on, and an incredible experience in IMAX.

A

The crowd again seemed pleased with the movie as it also got a round of applause at the end, and there were more than a few kind words on the way down the stairs afterwards. This will at least have a damn good run in IMAX.

Edited by Schumacher FTW