Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

19 minutes ago, Claudio said:

So when does the holiday start in the UK? Is it just UK that has a holiday or is it for whole Europe??
Cause I'm really curious to see what kind of a boost that movies get from it emoji16.png

There's two weeks of holidays, some places start this week, some places next week.

And I think other parts of Europe have holidays in April too, although it probably differs with regards to length and when they are. 

• Like 1

DISNEY

Beauty And The Beast crossed the £50m mark as it recorded a hat-trick as the UK’s number one.

Disney’s live-action remake waltzed to a $8.5m (£6.75m) third weekend for a spectacular $64.3m (£51.35m) after only 17 days in play, surpassing The Jungle Book’s $57.9m (£46.2m) result last year.

FOX

The Boss Baby would have charted second on the strength of its previews this Saturday and Sunday.

Fox’s latest DreamWorks Animation outing banked a non-final $3.16m (£2.52m) this weekend which will go towards its official opening from this Friday (April 7).

Also for Fox, Logan fell 42% as it sliced to a $557,000 (£444,414) fifth weekend for a terrific $28.6m (£22.81m) to date, while Viceroy’s House stands at $4.72m (£3.76m) after five weeks in play.

Hidden Figures has grossed $7.6m (£6.08m).

PARAMOUNT

Ghost In The Shell fared slightly better in the UK than the US as it landed in second.

Paramount’s live-action adaptation fought to a non-final $2.9m (£2.3m) from its 550 sites, including $442,000 (£335,000) from Thursday (March 30). Its Fri-Sun tally of $2.44m (£1.95m) would have also seen it chart second.

That’s down on Scarlett Johansson’s last lead role Lucy which charted top with a $3.9m (£3.08m) debut from 486 sites in August 2014, but Ghost In The Shell will hope for a sturdy hold this coming weekend.

UNIVERSAL

Get Out fell only 20% with a $1.37m (£1.09m) third weekend as it dropped to fourth.

Universal’s critically acclaimed horror is now up to a decent $8.5m (£6.79m) and will hope for similar holds to get it past the £10m milestone.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-beauty-and-the-beast-crosses-50m-mark/5116473.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Olive said:

DISNEY

Beauty And The Beast crossed the £50m mark as it recorded a hat-trick as the UK’s number one.

Disney’s live-action remake waltzed to a $8.5m (£6.75m) third weekend for a spectacular $64.3m (£51.35m) after only 17 days in play, surpassing The Jungle Book’s $57.9m (£46.2m) result last year.

FOX

The Boss Baby would have charted second on the strength of its previews this Saturday and Sunday.

Fox’s latest DreamWorks Animation outing banked a non-final $3.16m (£2.52m) this weekend which will go towards its official opening from this Friday (April 7).

Also for Fox, Logan fell 42% as it sliced to a $557,000 (£444,414) fifth weekend for a terrific $28.6m (£22.81m) to date, while Viceroy’s House stands at $4.72m (£3.76m) after five weeks in play.

Hidden Figures has grossed $7.6m (£6.08m).

PARAMOUNT

Ghost In The Shell fared slightly better in the UK than the US as it landed in second.

Paramount’s live-action adaptation fought to a non-final $2.9m (£2.3m) from its 550 sites, including $442,000 (£335,000) from Thursday (March 30). Its Fri-Sun tally of $2.44m (£1.95m) would have also seen it chart second.

That’s down on Scarlett Johansson’s last lead role Lucy which charted top with a $3.9m (£3.08m) debut from 486 sites in August 2014, but Ghost In The Shell will hope for a sturdy hold this coming weekend.

UNIVERSAL

Get Out fell only 20% with a $1.37m (£1.09m) third weekend as it dropped to fourth.

Universal’s critically acclaimed horror is now up to a decent $8.5m (£6.79m) and will hope for similar holds to get it past the £10m milestone.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-beauty-and-the-beast-crosses-50m-mark/5116473.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

KgRxPAD.gif

BatB down 45% which is great considering the good weather we've been having. I've actually seen quite a lot of school children still in uniform, I think from next week is when weekdays will really see a boost. Anyway, it made £4.7m last Mon-Thu, so I imagine this week will be about £3m, and then a weekend around £3.5m for a total near £58m. 

Impressive previews for The Boss Baby. 9 day 'opening' will be around £7-8m, and with Easter holidays it could top £20m.

Get out is having a great run too, looks like it'll make a run for £10m which would be almost 5x its opening. 

1 Beauty And The Beast 2017/3/17 £ 6,750,000 -45% £ 51,385,248
2 Ghost In The Shell 2017/3/31 £ 2,300,753 N/A £ 2,300,753
3 Smurfs: The Lost Village 2017/3/31 £ 1,383,059 N/A £ 1,383,059
4 Get Out 2017/3/17 £ 1,095,500 -20% £ 6,794,001
5 Power Rangers 2017/3/24 £ 864,591 -49% £ 3,055,494
6 Kong: Skull Island 2017/3/10 £ 662,414 -42% £ 14,435,739
7 Free Fire 2017/3/31 £ 480,644 N/A £ 480,644
8 Logan 2017/3/3 £ 444,414 -42% £ 22,815,443
9 Life 2017/3/24 £ 296,430 -60% £ 1,586,442
10 Peter Kay's Car Share: A Second Series C 2017/3/31 £ 283,024 N/A £ 283,024
  • Like 3

Oof

Shia LaBeouf Thriller ‘Man Down’ Sells Just One Ticket at U.K. Box Office

Man Down,” a war thriller with Shia LaBeouf, grossed just £7 ($8.70) when it premiered in a single U.K. theater over the weekend, according to ComScore. That’s the equivalent of selling a single ticket, given that the U.K. Cinema Association puts the average movie admission cost in the country at £7.21.

“Poor Shia,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore. “That opening could be in the Guinness World Records or something.”

Possible reasoning:

The film played in one location, Reel Cinema in Burnley. It was simultaneously released digitally on demand, making the theatrical release something of an afterthought. It launches on DVD and Blu-ray next month, according to the Guardian.

• Like 3

Lol, a Peppa Pig movie is coming out this weekend and pre-sales for it are really strong... 

Lots of films catering to children and families at the moment to take advantage of holidays. 

Edited by Heretic

Yep, Peppa Pig is looking great for us.

It's not a proper film though, just a collection of exclusive episodes interspersed with some presenters encouraging interaction. It's a good idea tbh, the under 5 market doesn't really have anything in cinemas and they rarely sit still when parents do inevitably bring them along

This weekend is looking to be the warmest of the year so far (23 and sunny in London, way above what it should be in April), cinemas will almost definitely take a hit. Good news for BO is that it's cooling down significantly next week, but I expect some bigger drops this weekend.

Also, The Boss Baby has looked strong this week, busier than BatB at my two nearest Odeon's.

Edited by Heretic

9 hours ago, Heretic said:

This weekend is looking to be the warmest of the year so far (23 and sunny in London, way above what it should be in April), cinemas will almost definitely take a hit. Good news for BO is that it's cooling down significantly next week, but I expect some bigger drops this weekend.

Also, The Boss Baby has looked strong this week, busier than BatB at my two nearest Odeon's.

It's a good thing it's a poor weekend for new releases apart from The Boss Baby.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Cinemas are empty around me, weather is far too nice, everyone is outside. Expecting >50% fall for BatB, but it should recover in the week and next weekend. 

Only thing busy here is the IMAX fest stuff. Fantastic Beasts, Jungle Book and Star Wars all sold out where I am today. 

It's a nice breather for cinemas before Fast 8 dominates during the Easter Bank Holiday.  I noticed the week after Fast 8 but before Guardians 2 is not great for new releases, guess studios need a weekend to dump their bad films. 

Another great week for BatB, £7.8m in the last 7 days, even with the amazing weather. Over the next 8 days (including bank holiday Monday), it could make another £6-7m which will put it above £65m after easter weekeend.

• Like 3