Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah Dunkirk is packed today, definitely going over £3m. Wouldn't surprise me if it's nearer £4m. If it somehow manages to open to £10m, that'd be incredible. 

Might double even my conservative £5-5.5m prediction. I knew it would do well but not this well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Yeah Dunkirk is packed today, definitely going over £3m. Wouldn't surprise me if it's nearer £4m. If it somehow manages to open to £10m, that'd be incredible. 

Have you seen it in 70mm IMAX yet? Do it as soon as possible. Even if people don't care for Nolan's decisions on story or character, this movie in 70mm IMAX (or the 1.43 version of Laser IMAX) is the most incredible theater experience in the world. Absolutely jawdropping. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Have you seen it in 70mm IMAX yet? Do it as soon as possible. Even if people don't care for Nolan's decisions on story or character, this movie in 70mm IMAX (or the 1.43 version of Laser IMAX) is the most incredible theater experience in the world. Absolutely jawdropping. 

I'm away for a week but as soon as I come back I'm going to watch it at the BFI IMAX. First time I would have been in years. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I'm away for a week but as soon as I come back I'm going to watch it at the BFI IMAX. First time I would have been in years. 

When they said 75% of it was shot in the 1.43 IMAX format, they weren't kidding or exaggerating. It feels like an even higher percentage while watching it. The regular 70mm photography looked great too, much better than the 35mm photography I remember with TDK, M:I4, and TDKR in 70mm IMAX. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There's a new IMAX opened yesterday near me thats showing it in digital IMAX, and the cinema down the road has a 70mm print... So if I watch them both back to back it's 70mm IMAX yeah?

• Haha 1

In key new territory openings, the UK debuted very strong with an estimated first day of $3.7M on 1,313 screens to take a 56% share of the Top 5 films — that doubles the opening day grosses for both Gravity and Interstellar. Imax has three screens there playing the 70mm version of the sweeping WWII drama.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-international-box-office-grosses-1202132130/

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure but if Dunkirk hits £10m+ 3-day I think it would be the biggest original opening of all time... Or somewhere in the top 3 surely. I can't think of any others.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

I'm not entirely sure but if Dunkirk hits £10m+ 3-day I think it would be the biggest original opening of all time... Or somewhere in the top 3 surely. I can't think of any others.

Yep, it would be #1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heretic said:

If you can't make it to the BFI, The Science Museum are the only other IMAX 70mm cinema in London or see it at Cineworld LS in IMAX with Laser.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Heretic said:

it might manage around 9.7 top end unless sunday really takes off take it over 10 :)

Edited by Rth Homecoming
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've had to set up a new account since the forums upgraded.. could not log into my old one.

We've been full every show this weekend with Dunkirk. Really fantastic opening.

Despicable Me is doing more from one show that 3 shows of Cars.

Apes holding up OK but nothing special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senoj Lihp said:

I've had to set up a new account since the forums upgraded.. could not log into my old one.

We've been full every show this weekend with Dunkirk. Really fantastic opening.

Despicable Me is doing more from one show that 3 shows of Cars.

Apes holding up OK but nothing special.

Are you Phillip?

But the film, which looks like it rose to No. 1 in all markets that it opened in had its biggest bow (not surprisingly) in the U.K. market with $12.4M, which marks the third biggest opening for the director, only behind his two Dark Knight movies. Dunkirk has been the biggest opening to date so far this year in the territory on Imax, where the big-screen epic managed a 14% share from those screens. The studio rolled out the red carpet in the U.K. for a premiere that brought in all the stars and the man of the moment: Christopher Nolan. It didn’t hurt that boy band heartthrob Harry Styles from One Direction is in the film and is a favorite in the U.K.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunkirk cracks £40m, maybe £45m. the competition for similar films is pretty weak in August unless Valerian or Atomic Blonde break out and I would not be surprised it manages 3 weeks at number 1. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonwo said:

If you can't make it to the BFI, The Science Museum are the only other IMAX 70mm cinema in London or see it at Cineworld LS in IMAX with Laser.

I've booked science museum for next Sunday. BFI is packed for the times i can go. Best seats are taken and i don't wanna wait till August to get decent seats

1 minute ago, Omario said:

I've booked science museum for next Sunday. BFI is packed for the times i can go. Best seats are taken and i don't wanna wait till August to get decent seats

I've not been to the Science Museum IMAX in a long time so I don't know what it's like. I saw Dunkirk in Laser IMAX and it's just incredible.