Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've not been to the Science Museum IMAX in a long time so I don't know what it's like. I saw Dunkirk in Laser IMAX and it's just incredible.

First time there. Its only a couple of metres smaller than BFI. I hope the seats are more comfortable than BFi though. But i'm not holding my breath. 15/70 Imax legroom is bad pretty much everywhere from what i have heard. 

SCREEN

Warner Bros’ war epic achieves Christopher Nolan’s third-biggest opening and second-biggest Fri-Sun debut.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Dunkirk (WB) $12.9m (£9.9m) $12.9m (£9.9m)
2 Despicable Me 3(Universal) $4m (£3.07m) $39.4m (£30.3m)
3 War For The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) $3.52m (£2.71m) $16.5m (£12.67m)
4 Spider-Man: Homecoming(Sony) $2.9m (£2.2m) $27.5m (£21.1m)
5 Cars 3 (Disney) $2.1m (£1.63m) $6.6m (£5.05m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

WARNER BROS

Dunkirk stormed the UK box office on its debut with the fourth-biggest Fri-Sun opening of the year to date.

Warner Bros’ critically acclaimed war epic grossed an impressive $12.9m (£9.9m) from its 637 sites, recording a mighty $20,231 (£15,542) site average, putting it behind Beauty And The Beast, Guardians 2 and Despicable Me 3 in terms of 2017’s three-day openings.

That marks director Christopher Nolan’s third-biggest overall UK opening, behind The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, but his second-biggest Fri-Sun total ahead of The Dark Knight’s $11.3m (£8.7m).

At IMAX screens, Dunkirk achieved the biggest opening weekend of the year with $1.8m (£1.4m) and the third highest 2D IMAX opening of all time.

Given its strong reviews and word-of-mouth, Dunkirkshould be set for an extended run at the UK box office, with its holdover this coming weekend giving a better indication of just how far it can go.

Also for Warner Bros, Wonder Woman stands at $28.5m (£21.93m).

UNIVERSAL

Despicable Me 3 fell only 21% with a $4m (£3.07m) fourth weekend as it remained in second.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment hit has become the sixth release of 2017 to cross the £30m mark to stand at a strong $39.4m (£30.3m), although it faces animated competition when Captain Underpants opens today [July 24].

Also for Universal, The Beguiled dropped a steep 64% with a $183,000 (£140,215) second weekend for $1.11m (£852,674) to date.

FOX

Likely hit by Dunkirk’s success, War For The Planet Of The Apes fell 48% (excluding previews) with a non-final $3.52m (£2.71m) second weekend as it dropped to third.

Fox’s threequel has marched to $16.5m (£12.67m) after 13 days in play and should overtake Rise’s $27m (£20.77m), although Dawn’s $42.6m (£32.7m) result is out of reach.

Also for Fox, The Boss Baby has now amassed $37.4m (£28.76m).

SONY

Spider-Man: Homecoming fell 42% as it swung to a $2.9m (£2.2m) third weekend.

Sony’s latest Spidey outing and first Marvel Studios release is now up to $27.5m (£21.1m), taking it past Thor: The Dark World and Homecoming will soon surpass Iron Man 2’s $27.6m (£21.18m).

In terms of Spider-Man films, Homecoming’s first target will be The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s $31.4m (£24.1m).

Also for Sony, Baby Driver fell a slim 31% on its way to a $885,000 (£680,000) fourth weekend for $13.1m (£10.1m) to date. It has grossed more than the likes of The Mummy ($11.3m/£8.7m) and Transformers: The Last Knight ($12.2m/£9.4m).

DISNEY

In its second weekend, Disney’s Cars 3 dropped 38% with $2.1m (£1.63m) for $6.6m (£5.05m) to date, and will look to the school holidays to keep its race going at the UK box office.

ARROW FILMS

From its five sites through Arrow Films, Scribe recorded a UK bow of $13,000 (£9,768), including $5,800 (£4,456) in previews.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s Captain Underpants (opens today), eOne’s 47 Metres Down(opens July 26) and Universal’s Girls Trip (opens July 26).

Studiocanal’s The Big Sick, Vertigo Releasing’s Wish Upon and Studiocanal’s The Wall all receive wide releases, while Arrow Films’ Hounds Of Love is among the films receiving a limited release.

Unbelievable opening for Dunkirk. It's not the type of film that really benefits that much from holiday, but it's older skewing audience and strong IMAX performance will ensure it plays well during the week. Will be very interesting to see what kind of drop it has next week. Hoping for sub 40%. IMAX will soften it for sure.

DM3 is doing amazingly well too, and this week will see a big increase. Since DM2, this franchise has been very consistent. Seems like it will land somewhere in the mid 40s like the previous two instalments, which, apart from a couple of films, are the biggest animated films ever. Wouldn't even surprise me if it legged its way to £50m with minimal competition in August. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Unbelievable opening for Dunkirk. It's not the type of film that really benefits that much from holiday, but it's older skewing audience and strong IMAX performance will ensure it plays well during the week. Will be very interesting to see what kind of drop it has next week. Hoping for sub 40%. IMAX will soften it for sure.

DM3 is doing amazingly well too, and this week will see a big increase. Since DM2, this franchise has been very consistent. Seems like it will land somewhere in the mid 40s like the previous two instalments, which, apart from a couple of films, are the biggest animated films ever. Wouldn't even surprise me if it legged its way to £50m with minimal competition in August. 

Is there a national holiday/bad weather this weekend for family films like DM3 to increase or will summer holidays start for schools? 

Edited by MinaTakla

Dunkirk really benefits from the fact there's minimal competition, it has IMAX to itself until September when Kingsman arrives. I expect 3 weeks at number 1 minimum. 

DM3 is benefiting from the fact that the family competition is very lacklucktre, Captain Underpants or The Emoji Movie won't make much of a dent to it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Is there a national holiday/bad weather this weekend for family films like DM3 to increase or will summer holidays start for schools? 

Weather isn't that good. School holidays have started now, so it won't increase on the weekend but week on week it will. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Dunkirk really benefits from the fact there's minimal competition, it has IMAX to itself until September when Kingsman arrives. I expect 3 weeks at number 1 minimum. 

DM3 is benefiting from the fact that the family competition is very lacklucktre, Captain Underpants or The Emoji Movie won't make much of a dent to it. 

It doesn't have IMAX to itself unfortunately, cineworld confirmed Atomic Blonde and American Made are both jumping in next month. 

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

It doesn't have IMAX to itself unfortunately, cineworld confirmed Atomic Blonde and American Made are both jumping in next month. 

American Made is getting IMAX? Doesn't strike me as an IMAX title. I assume they'll try and get Dunkirk to share maybe the earlier screenings as I imagine it'll going to be a strong seller.

top playdates 23-Jul
all DK
1-Imax Southbank

(Imax BO #1 in world, #2 Lincoln square in NYC, its #2 behind Lincoln Square total (Imax, 70mm, Digital :) )

2-Odeon Leicester Square
(Combined with CS Leicester Square #1)
3-CW Crawley
4-CW Leicester Square
5-Vue Westfield London
6-Cw Sheffield
7-Odeon Metrocentre
8-NAc Showcase Bluwater
9-Odeon Bournemouth
10-Vue Manchester
11-Odeon Milton Keynes
12-Odeon Kingston

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

top playdates 23-Jul
all DK
1-Imax Southbank

(Imax BO #1 in world, #2 Lincoln square in NYC, its #2 behind Lincoln Square total (Imax, 70mm, Digital :) )

2-Odeon Leicester Square
(Combined with CS Leicester Square #1)
3-CW Crawley
4-CW Leicester Square
5-Vue Westfield London
6-Cw Sheffield
7-Odeon Metrocentre
8-NAc Showcase Bluwater
9-Odeon Bournemouth
10-Vue Manchester
11-Odeon Milton Keynes
12-Odeon Kingston

Very rare to see CWLS and OLS so close in the top 12, Vue Westfield is pretty much the only one in the top 5 that didn't show Dunkirk in IMAX or 70mm. Interesting that Crawley and Vue Westfield beat Sheffield despite having less screens. Did the Science Museum chart?

BFI IMAX did very well to be the number one IMAX showing in the world and second only to AMC Lincoln Square which has more capacity

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

WEEKEND ACTUALS IN UK POUND - INSIDEKINO

Wochenende 29: 21.7.2017 - 23.7.2017
Nr. £ % Ges. Wo. Film
1 10.023.720 --- 10.023.720 1 Dunkirk
2 3.082.983 -20 30.319.469 4 Ich - Einfach unverbesserlich 3
3 2.714.119 -62 12.667.484 2 Planet der Affen 3
4 2.183.542 -41 21.072.253 3 Spider-Man Homecoming
5 1.636.488 -38 5.072.811 2 Cars 3
6 1.439.604 --- 1.439.604 1 Andre Rieu Maastricht Concert
7 686.111 -30 10.080.214 4 Baby Driver
8 140.861 -66 853.566 2 Die Verführten
9 81.451 --- 81.451 1 The Black Prince
10 77.375 -30 21.929.201 8 Wonder Woman
  22.066.254 +15 445.790.871 29 GESAMT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So it hit £10m! 

The fact BFI was number 2 in the world with only 5 showings a day is remarkable. 

Dunkirk should be nearing £20m already by Sunday, maybe even exceed the mark. Inception made over £4m in the first Monday-Thursday with an opening weekend of £5.9m, so I can't see Dunkirk falling below £5m weekdays. Can see £40m+ being a possibility, will be an exciting run to follow.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1