Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

My Sunday mid-afternoon screening was solidly-busy for that time of day, legs will great as well. Fully deserved, what a fantastic movie. 

Hope Manchester by the Sea expands over time, it's not playing anywhere close to me and I hardly live in the most obscure place. 

• Like 1

Moana up to $21.7m, which is around £17.5m, so another very healthy week for it. Sing previews arrive next week, but I don't think Moana will completely fall off a cliff. It can still make it to £20m if it doesn't lose all its screens, and make it to a 9x multi.  

Rogue One up to $77.5m (around £63m) so it's still making good money. Will be close for the £70m mark, but either way it's now one of the biggest films of all time which is incredible for a spin-off.

FB is now also closing in on £55m. It too has had a very leggy, and hugely impressive run. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Dan9 said:

My Sunday mid-afternoon screening was solidly-busy for that time of day, legs will great as well. Fully deserved, what a fantastic movie. 

Hope Manchester by the Sea expands over time, it's not playing anywhere close to me and I hardly live in the most obscure place. 

I think Manchester by the Sea expands next week or the week after. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Moana up to $21.7m, which is around £17.5m, so another very healthy week for it. Sing previews arrive next week, but I don't think Moana will completely fall off a cliff. It can still make it to £20m if it doesn't lose all its screens, and make it to a 9x multi.  

I imagine Moana should be fine until Lego Batman previews, that'll be taking a good chunk of screens

Edited by Jonwo

14 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Curious to see where Sherlock ends up tonight, it's packed in the cinema I'm at. 

What did you think? 

I was very confused in places and need to see it again to make up my mind if i liked it or not

UK box office: 'La La Land' dances to Lionsgate's fourth-biggest UK opening

Awards contender scores impressive $7.9m (£6.58m) bow from distributor’s widest-ever release at 606 sites.

UK box office: 'La La Land' dances to Lionsgate's fourth-biggest UK opening

Further distributor results to come…

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

LIONSGATE

La La Land shined brightly on its UK debut as it dethroned Assassin’s Creed at the top of the box office.

Lionsgate’s awards contender scored an impressive $7.9m (£6.58m) bow, including $1.14m (£943,751) in previews, from the distributor’s widest-ever release at 606 sites, marking a site average of $13,074 (£10,863).

The opening marks Lionsgate’s fourth-biggest UK debut ever, one-third bigger than the first Hunger Games($5.9m/£4.9m from 511 sites) and only behind the three Hunger Games sequels.

However you look at it, it’s an excellent opening for an original offering not linked to any franchise.

Back in 2013, Les Misérables opened with $9.8m (£8.13m) from 589 sites and, due to its awards success, had a lengthy run to take $49.1m (£40.8m).

A similarly sustained run through awards season and beyond for La La Land could see it finish with around $40m (£33m).

DISNEY

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story fell 46% with a $2.12m (£1.76m) fifth weekend as it remained in second.

Disney’s spin-off is now up to a resounding $75.5m (£62.73m) in the UK, making it the 12th biggest film of all time, narrowly behind The Fellowship Of The Ring’s $75.8m (£63m) result.

Also for Disney, Moana fell only 11% as it sailed to a $1.26m (£1.05m) seventh weekend for $21.2m (£17.58m) so far. Sing’s previews this weekend will provide stiff competition for it to hold as well again.

FOX

Assassin’s Creed fell 50% (excluding previews) as it sliced to a non-final $1.14m (£948,579) as it dropped to fourth.

Fox’s video game adaptation is now up to $8.36m (£6.95m) after 15 days in play and, as expected, has surpassed the $7.22m (£6m) result of Warcraft: The Beginning.

Also for Fox, Why Him? fell 52% with a $444,000 (£369,115) third weekend for $5.53m (£4.59m) to date, while Bollywood title Ok Jannu posted a UK debut of $81,000 (£67,345) from its 50 sites.

Trolls stands at $28.4m (£23.61m).

WARNER BROS

Hit by lukewarm reviews, Warner Bros’ Live By Nightposted an uninspiring $836,000 (£695,000) UK bow from its 449 sites.

That is only ahead of Gone Baby Gone’s $423,000 (£351,127) debut from fewer sites (259) in terms of Ben Affleck’s directorial outings in the UK, and it could struggle to best that film’s final $2.25m (£1.87m) result.

Also for Warner Bros, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them conjured up another $681,000 (£566,000) for a magical $65m (£54m) to date. Chamber Of Secrets’ $66m (£54.8m) result is still in reach.

Collateral Beauty stands at $2.64m (£2.19m) after three weeks in play.

EONE

In its fourth weekend, eOne’s Ballerina added a non-final $381,000 (£316,376) for a strong $4.7m (£3.91m) to date.

Also for eOne, A Monster Calls fell a hefty 62% (excluding previews) with a $374,000 (£310,917) second weekend for $3.09m (£2.57m) after 15 days in play.

PARAMOUNT

Falling 32% in its third weekend, Paramount’s Monster Trucks drove to a non-final $375,000 (£312,000) for $3.91m (£3.25m) to date.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Paramount’s xXx 3: The Return Of Xander Cage (opens January 19), eOne’s Jackie and Entertainment’s Lion.

Universal’s Split receives a wide release, while BFI Distribution’s re-release of Goodfellas is among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 8

Fantastic opening for La La Land. I don't think anyone saw this coming. Will be very interesting to track and see how high it can go. I imagine weekday business will be strong as this is definitely appealing to a wide audience, including the older generation/mums etc. It's also a good date movie, and Valentine's Day will likely give it a nice boost, as well as half term holidays in the middle of February.

This weekend I expect a drop of only 20-30% or so from the 3 day of £5.65m, which would mean it stays above £4m. Having said that though, cinemas like Vue Westfield were fully saturated for OW, I think they'll probably add quite a few more showtimes this weekend to keep up with demand as they definitely underestimated how popular it'd be. Wouldn't be surprised to see a sub-20% drop because of this. Should reach £14-15m by Sunday.

As for holdovers, amazing hold for Moana. The fact it's still making over £1m on weekends is a testimant to its strong legs.

Same can be said for Fantastic Beasts which is still making a significant amount of money even after 2 months. It's set to pass £55m now. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 6

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-la-la-land-dances-to-lionsgates-fourth-biggest-uk-opening/5112834.article?blocktitle=UK-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40105

STUDIOCANAL

Manchester By The Sea enjoyed an auspicious start to its UK run as it already became Kenneth Lonergan’s best-ever result.

Studiocanal’s awards contender amassed a strong $875,000 (£729,477) from its 146 sites, including previews, marking a healthy site average of $6,036 (£4,996).

Even with the crossover success of La La Land, Manchester By The Sea should record decent midweek numbers given its older-skewing audience, with a lengthy run possible if Casey Affleck continues to pick up awards recognition.

Also for Studiocanal, Silence fell almost 80% (excluding previews) with a $181,000 (£150,143) second weekend for $2.44m (£2.03m) to date.

SONY

Passengers fell 43% with a $942,000 (£743,000) fourth weekend as it rounded off this week’s top five.

Sony’s sci-fi romance is now up to a decent $14.3m (£11.85m) to date.

Also for Sony, Underworld: Blood Wars posted a $378,000 (£314,000) UK debut from its 260 sites, marking the lowest opening of the series behind Rise Of The Lycans’ $1.19m (£990,285) from 339 sites.

VERTIGO FILMS

From its one-site release at the Glasgow Film Theatre, Vertigo Films’ The Young Offenders grossed $1,400 (£1,153) following its successful Irish release last year.

• Like 3

top playdates
all LLL except Imax
1-Vue West End 9
2-Vue westfield , London
3-vue Islington
4-Imax southbank (R1)
5-Odeon Kingston
6-CW Glasgow
7-Odeon Guildford
8-Vue Finchley North
9-Odeon Wimbleton
10-Vue Finchley Road
11-Ritzy Cinema, Brixton
12-vue Fulham

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doctor RTH gone Rouge said:

top playdates
all LLL except Imax
1-Vue West End 9
2-Vue westfield , London
3-vue Islington
4-Imax southbank (R1)
5-Odeon Kingston
6-CW Glasgow
7-Odeon Guildford
8-Vue Finchley North
9-Odeon Wimbleton
10-Vue Finchley Road
11-Ritzy Cinema, Brixton
12-vue Fulham

Wow. Very London-centric. Only 1 in the top 12 is outside the London commuter zone. Not surprised, cinemas I checked looked much busier than the rest of the country. Maybe a West End influence. 

Nice to see both my locals Kingston and Wimbledon in the top 10. Never seen that before.

Edited by Heretic

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Wow. Very London-centric. Only 1 in the top 12 is outside the London commuter zone. Not surprised, cinemas I checked looked much busier than the rest of the country. Maybe a West End influence. 

Nice to see both my locals Kingston and Wimbledon in the top 10. Never seen that before.

Kingston has been in the top twelve before, Vue West End gets a rare number 1 entry. Usually it's OLS or CWLS. 

Vue Westfield London always a consistent performer usually in the top 3 or five whereas the one in Stratford doesn't do nearly as well. Vue Islington seems to do quite well too, maybe it's the areas they are in. 

BFI IMAX is still doing well with Rogue One, to still be in the top five with a holdover is impressive. 

Weekend Jan.13-15
# Title Opening Date Weekend   Total Distributor
1 La La Land 2017/1/13 £ 6,596,256 N/A £ 6,596,256 Lionsgate
2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016/12/16 £ 1,764,104 -46% £ 62,728,519 Walt Disney Int'l
3 Moana 2016/12/2 £ 1,050,979 -11% £ 17,580,869 Walt Disney Int'l
4 Assassin's Creed 2017/1/6 £ 950,168 -82% £ 6,949,314 Fox Int'l
5 Passengers 2016/12/23 £ 783,390 -43% £ 11,837,426 Sony Int'l
6 Manchester By The Sea 2017/1/13 £ 729,478 N/A £ 729,478 Studiocanal
7 Live By Night 2017/1/13 £ 698,218 N/A £ 698,218 Warner Bros Int'l

Fantastic Beasts And Where 

To Find Them

2016/11/18 £ 568,432 -42% £ 54,000,202 Warner Bros Int'l
9 Bye Bye Man, The 2017/1/13 £ 535,492 N/A £ 535,492 Entertainment Film 
10 Why Him? 2016/12/30 £ 369,657 -51% £ 4,591,666 Fox Int'l
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Hoping for good numbers on Split today it was pretty busy when I saw it at half 3.

I imagine it'll be top 3, La La Land will remain number 1 though. I think Lion should do decently as well. 

I expect Sing previews will do well this weekend, I'm not sure how it'll do long term as The Lego Batman Movie is opening in previews just two weeks later. 

Split has sold out the 8:30pm show at Vue Westfield, in one of the biggest screens. Almost sold out the 9:20 showing at Kingston Odeon too, one of my locals, and I've seen more sellouts elsewhere. It's going to do very well.

La La Land still doing strong business around me.

Lion also looks really busy, very interested to see that.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1