Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Well, even taken just on its technical levels, it's worth seeing on a big screen. And if you like anything related to the production (the actors or the survival concept or whatever) you'll be entertained.

At the moment, I'm tending to be very choosy about which films I see theatrically. Even liking Leo and Hardy probably isn't enough to elevate it enough to become one I go to.

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

At this point, the only thing to look forward to is Tom Hardy's accent. He shan't disappoint.

mumble gargle babble mumble of cahwse

Just now, 4815162342 said:

mumble gargle babble mumble of cahwse

Mumble mumble grumble, we gave him,mumble, proper,burial, mumble mumble, impossibleh

...with a Yankee twang.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Telemachos said:

It's kind of amusing that Jeff Wells is so gaga for this. It's just the sort of shallow "deep" movie to impress a guy like him.

You really can't stand Inarritu, can you Tele... :lol:

Anyway, tweets are what I expected. No-one can claim the trailers went for anything other than violent, beautiful and detached.

• Like 2

It's nothing a seasoned movie fan can't deal with (assuming they've seen their share of R-rated violence before). You do see a fair amount of the aftermath of violence (in particular DiCaprio -- repeatedly -- after his

bear encounter

, and Inarritu doesn't shy away from arrows through necks, extremities being whacked off, that sort of thing.

I feel like I've been kinda negative about it overall, and I do want to stress that I liked it: I dig these sorts of man vs. nature stories, and it really is breathtaking in many ways. Inarritu does bug me with some of his choices, though. :lol: Go in expecting a straightforward genre movie and you'll be relatively satisfied, I think. If you expect something that succeeds in a deeper way, all bets are off.