Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

The Drudge Report wrote about this movie today and I'm not sure how graphically this was discussed before but it explains about the walkouts during the screenings....

Spoiler
The new movie 'REVENANT' features a shocking scene of a wild bear raping Leo DiCaprio! 

The explicit moment from Oscar winning director Alejandro Inarritu has caused maximum controversy in early screenings. Some in the audience escaped to the exits when the Wolf of Wall Street met the Grizzly of Yellowstone. 

The story of rural survivalism and revenge reaches new violent levels for a mainstream film. 

The bear flips Leo over and thrusts and thrusts during the explicit mauling.

"He is raped -- twice!" 

Not to be outdone, DiCaprio rips open a horse and sleeps naked in its carcass! 

For director Inarritu, 'BIRDMAN' was just the appetizer.

FOX has given the movie an award-qualifying release on Christmas Day.

Developing...

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Drudge is completely wrong. :rofl: 

Hidden Content

I'd read screening reports and this is something that would've been the first thing everyone mentioned, had it happened. Like when Gone Girl started screening and there was a flurry of news about a certain flash of anatomy.

In a weird way, I think it would get people talking about the movie even more, with anticipation/dread for "the scene". But imagine the jokes about Leo's Oscar thirst, were the rumors true. Plus, I would love to see how the MPAA would describe such a thing, it would be sure to join the ranks with "creature violence" or "teen partying" or "a smoking caterpillar".

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Leonardo is being considered the top choice for the acting Oscar by almost every media outlet that's seen Revenant and is predicting the Oscars nominees/winners. Don't know if this has been posted before but here's Kyle Buchanan, writing for variety, talking about the film's Oscar prospects - http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/leonardo-dicaprio-the-revenant-hard-to-beat-oscars.html

For Leo - 

Four-time acting nominee Leonardo DiCaprio has famously never taken home the gold, and it’s been presumed all year that The Revenant, where he plays out-for-revenge fur trapper Hugh Glass, will give him his best shot at an Oscar. Having seen the film, I’m inclined to agree, not just because DiCaprio gives his all to the role, but in large part because he doesn’t have overwhelming competition this year. (DiCaprio’s two strongest rivals may be former co-stars Matt Damon and Johnny Depp, neither of whom feels like a front-runner just yet.)

This is more of a physical performance than a verbal one — after his throat is slashed by a bear and he’s left for dead by his comrades, it’s not like Glass is capable of much conversation, anyway — and DiCaprio fully commits to it, delivering a spittle-speckled, blood-soaked revenge turn that successfully exterminates every last vestige of his teen-dream twinkdom. The making of the movie in subzero conditions was nearly as arduous as it looks, and Oscar voters favor actors who’ve been put through their paces. Taken in concert with DiCaprio’s “he’s due” narrative — and the fact that the actor has now entered his 40s, a sweet spot for men to receive Academy recognition — he’s well positioned to finally win.

And for Lubezki who may now be a serious competition for 'Greatest Cinematographer Ever' -

Aside from DiCaprio, I think The Revenant’s strongest shot at Oscar comes from Best Cinematography candidate Emmanuel Lubezki, who would manage an unprecedented three back-to-back wins if he takes home the gold. What Lubezki does here with natural light is stunning — even more so because it’s coming on the heels of two very different visual challenges that Lubezki aced in Gravity and Birdman — and I suspect that after The Revenant, he’ll go from simply being considered one of the great cinematographers to making a strong case for greatest of all time. Ironically, his strongest competition may come from another wintry frontier epic, The Hateful Eight, which was shot in 70mm by venerated veteran Robert Richardson.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2