Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

TOMATOMETER 

Still nothing else.

With The Revenant, Alejandro González Iñárritu weaves a story both simple and complex, brutal and beautiful, and with a focused and impressive visual aesthetic.

10/10

Edited by Filmovie

2 hours ago, Filmovie said:

TOMATOMETER 

Still nothing else.

With The Revenant, Alejandro González Iñárritu weaves a story both simple and complex, brutal and beautiful, and with a focused and impressive visual aesthetic.

10/10

Wow, that's a Good Start! The first review declares it a masterpiece :D 

Here's hoping for a hundred percent approval and a 9+ average rating (not counting the rotten ones coming from critics who simply couldn't handle the film)!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-revenant-leonardo-dicaprio-bear-rape-director-20151204-story.html

It's almost a 'Saturday Night Live' skit. It's fantastic," the director said in an interview this week shortly after the story gained momentum.

Inarritu, who is known to reporters for being savvy about the media, was (mostly) laughing even as he offered a larger media critique.

"I find it hilarious, and pathetic in a way. You have one guy in a garage inventing something that’s then shared by somebody else. And then a newspaper acknowledges it as news, and then it triggers papers around the world," said the Mexican-born director, who won an Oscar last year for “Birdman.” "What's unbelievable is the validation. When I first saw it I thought it was a joke. But then it gets validation, and the studio actually has to release a statement that there was no bear rape. It's like a crazy mad comedy."

"Leo's beard had fleas, that was one that went all around the world. We just need [Donald] Trump to say the raping bear was Mexican and we'll be done."

"It was not a rape. It was a pure making love of cinema."

• Like 3

On December 2, 2015 at 9:56:27 AM, Infernus said:

Leonardo is being considered the top choice for the acting Oscar by almost every media outlet that's seen Revenant and is predicting the Oscars nominees/winners. Don't know if this has been posted before but here's Kyle Buchanan, writing for variety, talking about the film's Oscar prospects - http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/leonardo-dicaprio-the-revenant-hard-to-beat-oscars.html

For Leo - 

Four-time acting nominee Leonardo DiCaprio has famously never taken home the gold, and it’s been presumed all year that The Revenant, where he plays out-for-revenge fur trapper Hugh Glass, will give him his best shot at an Oscar. Having seen the film, I’m inclined to agree, not just because DiCaprio gives his all to the role, but in large part because he doesn’t have overwhelming competition this year. (DiCaprio’s two strongest rivals may be former co-stars Matt Damon and Johnny Depp, neither of whom feels like a front-runner just yet.)

This is more of a physical performance than a verbal one — after his throat is slashed by a bear and he’s left for dead by his comrades, it’s not like Glass is capable of much conversation, anyway — and DiCaprio fully commits to it, delivering a spittle-speckled, blood-soaked revenge turn that successfully exterminates every last vestige of his teen-dream twinkdom. The making of the movie in subzero conditions was nearly as arduous as it looks, and Oscar voters favor actors who’ve been put through their paces. Taken in concert with DiCaprio’s “he’s due” narrative — and the fact that the actor has now entered his 40s, a sweet spot for men to receive Academy recognition — he’s well positioned to finally win.

And for Lubezki who may now be a serious competition for 'Greatest Cinematographer Ever' -

Aside from DiCaprio, I think The Revenant’s strongest shot at Oscar comes from Best Cinematography candidate Emmanuel Lubezki, who would manage an unprecedented three back-to-back wins if he takes home the gold. What Lubezki does here with natural light is stunning — even more so because it’s coming on the heels of two very different visual challenges that Lubezki aced in Gravity and Birdman — and I suspect that after The Revenant, he’ll go from simply being considered one of the great cinematographers to making a strong case for greatest of all time. Ironically, his strongest competition may come from another wintry frontier epic, The Hateful Eight, which was shot in 70mm by venerated veteran Robert Richardson.

Is Redmayne no longer being considered a major contender?

• Like 1

Scott Tobias @scott_tobias

THE REVENANT is like if THE NEW WORLD kicked you in the balls repeatedly for 156 minutes. It's Iñárritu's best since AMORES PERROS.

Scott Tobias ‏@scott_tobias 
@scott_tobias Many are taking this as a recommendation. That is both not true (in that I didn't like it) and true (in that others might).

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Scott Tobias @scott_tobias

THE REVENANT is like if THE NEW WORLD kicked you in the balls repeatedly for 156 minutes. It's Iñárritu's best since AMORES PERROS.

Scott Tobias ‏@scott_tobias 
@scott_tobias Many are taking this as a recommendation. That is both not true (in that I didn't like it) and true (in that others might).

Scott Tobias is a legend when it comes to Inarritu. I love his Birdman review and come back to it every few months. Has one of my favorite opening lines in any journalism:

Alejandro González Iñárritu is a pretentious fraud, but it’s taken some time to understand the precise nature of his fraudulence.

• Like 2