Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

44 minutes ago, Jessie said:

reviews make it seem like style/violence over substance, but ill watch this just for that Hardy/Leo duo.

Then I guess you have only read the rotten reviews. And I don't think any review said its style over substance.... you sure you are not confusing this with hateful 8? 

44 minutes ago, Jessie said:

reviews make it seem like style/violence over substance, but ill watch this just for that Hardy/Leo duo.

Then I guess you have only read the rotten reviews. And I don't think any review said its style over substance.... you sure you are not confusing this with hateful 8? 

It's definitely style over substance.

33 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Its just he impression ive got from all the reviews as a whole. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, brutally violent, average revenge story.

And why would I get it confused with hateful 8? there are no reviews out for that yet and its Tarantino who imo also fills his movies with substance.

Edited by Jessie

21 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Its just he impression ive got from all the reviews as a whole. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, brutally violent, average revenge story.

And why would I get it confused with hateful 8? there are no reviews out for that yet and its Tarantino who imo also fills his movies with substance.

Yeah that's what I got too, I just don't see what could be the 'style' in this movie. And how much one likes the story seems to vary from person to person depending on how much he got connected to the film/Leo. Although a common complaint seems to be that Inarritu has added some not-needed not-too-subtle grim psychological musings at parts which might be somewhat off putting for some.

As for Tarantino, yeah his movies are always filled with substance but the 'style' is always a major, visible thing.

I'm guessing Spotlight. It's been the leader in the clubhouse for quite some time, and no film has taken away that distinction yet. The Martian is interesting, but I'd have to say (IMO, of course) that it would be a really weak winner. That wouldn't be the direction that the Academy normally goes in though. H8ful Eight is probably the last movie that can really challenge Spotlight, and even that is not really what the Academy goes with as a winner for BP.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2