Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

It's a beautiful looking trailer no doubt, and DiCaprio looks amazing. However, while this may sound a little nitpicky, I can't help but feel that this was a "teaser" of sorts instead of a full trailer. It itself didn't have its own arc where it tells its own story (yet teases for a bigger one). Instead, it was just there to get awareness out, and show off some of the acting and visuals; like there's a lot more to come from this marketing campaign for sure.

I don't even care if Leo wins an Oscar anymore.  He has nothing to prove.  He gives his all in his roles.  This looked fantastic visually.   "Hateful 8" got some competition for that Westen/Wilderness Audience this Christmas, lol.   But I liked the trailer and the whole survival mode fell.   

he just needs to win to stop all the memes about it , everyone knows he is an amazing actor

Huh. That looks surprisingly GREAT. I say surprisingly because I'm a big-time fan of the book, and believe it's a beautiful piece of Western/survival thrills, but I thought Inarritu's head would be too far up his own ass to adapt it in a way that brings out the intensity and the raw power of the story. But that trailer is exactly what this movie should be- a thriller with significant artistic craft, and not Birdman with bears and beards. Plus, Leo and Hardy? Fuck yes, motherfucker. And it looks gorgeous. I wish this was going wide on Christmas. With this and Hateful 8 both being limited till the 8th, Christmas Day this year ain't looking too hot, quality-wise. 

• Like 1

It's a beautiful looking trailer no doubt, and DiCaprio looks amazing. However, while this may sound a little nitpicky, I can't help but feel that this was a "teaser" of sorts instead of a full trailer. It itself didn't have its own arc where it tells its own story (yet teases for a bigger one). Instead, it was just there to get awareness out, and show off some of the acting and visuals; like there's a lot more to come from this marketing campaign for sure.

It's....a "teaser trailer" so of course haha

Exactly! It just shows off visuals and DiCaprio without telling a story.

Right. It's a rubbish teaser. A teaser should give a hint at what might be to come in the movie, but all this shows is that Leonardo Dicaprio has grown a beard and some guns shooting. Nothing interesting of note whatsoever. I don't even think the trailer looks particularly good visually (which is fine, given that Lubezki's style is inherently the opposite of how trailers are cut)

Right. It's a rubbish teaser. A teaser should give a hint at what might be to come in the movie, but all this shows is that Leonardo Dicaprio has grown a beard and some guns shooting. Nothing interesting of note whatsoever. I don't even think the trailer looks particularly good visually (which is fine, given that Lubezki's style is inherently the opposite of how trailers are cut)

It shows a fluent, desolate, chaotic, uncompromising reality from the perspective of the lead. 

• Like 2

The trailer shows that its an intense survival thriller set in the frontier. I read the book, and beyond the basic set-up, that's pretty much the entire thing in a nutshell. It's going to be about the imagery and the intensity and the performances. Not a plot-based story, this one. 

• Like 2

I half agree :P Visually I think it looks fantastic, but there isn't much narrative wise.

Damn. Lubezki is a genius. Certainly his third in a row. That whole natural light concept is so impossibly hard and it looks like he nailed it.

The rhythmic breathing juxtaposed with the drums was annoying. This is probably not going to nab Leo that Oscar though, it doesn't really cater to what the Academy usually likes.

Unpopular opinion: Leonardo Dicaprio is a ham and has not been ripped off of an Oscar. He just hasn't deserved one yet.