Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

3 hours ago, acab said:

The Revenant 's making over half a billion dollars.

And people were saying this wasn't an audience friendly film.

Now if someone is paying attention like HBO or Jeff Bezos, they are at least considering "The Jim Bridger Story" as a series.

6 hours ago, acab said:

The Revenant 's making over half a billion dollars.

And people were saying this wasn't an audience friendly film.

I think it's another example of how no one really knows if the mainstream is gonna go for a movie that doesn't look like a safe bet. I saw the movie when it had already become a success, so I don't know what I would think if I had seen it during it's limited release. A lot of people here who did saw it early, were saying that mainstream audiences are not gonna like it at all, and I can understand why. The movie is not a crowdpleaser and pre-civl war/gold rush era set movies have been bombing left and right for decades. What's the last hit movie that took place in pre-1850s America? Last of the Mohicans?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

I think it's another example of how no one really knows if the mainstream is gonna go for a movie that doesn't look like a safe bet. I saw the movie when it had already become a success, so I don't know what I would think if I had seen it during it's limited release. A lot of people here who did saw it early, were saying that mainstream audiences are not gonna like it at all, and I can understand why. The movie is not a crowdpleaser and pre-civl war/gold rush era set movies have been bombing left and right for decades. What's the last hit movie that took place in pre-1850s America? Last of the Mohicans?

This is such an untouched era by modern cinema. I suspect it is because there is little opportunity to advance modern progressive tropes. 

There are other epochs that also have not been dramatized on film for the most part. Hopefully shows like The Vikings and The Revenant have begun to the the tide.

So many great possibilities.

• Like 1

^

Yeah, the pre-civil war America fascinates me just because I know very little about it and I actively seek out movies that take place in those days. And they aren't many, mostly because the most high profile projects have bombed epically. Especially if you exclude movies about the Independece war they're might be less than 20 movies set in that time.

Here's a list of the ones I know about.

Jeremiah Johnson

The Scarlet Letter

Last of the Mohicans

The New World

Aguirre: Wrath of God

The Crucible

Ravenous

Sleepy Hollow

Meek's Cutoff

The Mission

Apocalypto

The Revenant

The Witch

If anyone knows any other movie that takes place in the American continent before 1860s and doesn't revolve around the American Independence War please let me know, I plan to watch them all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Di Caprio should star in an actual Terrence Malick film next. Let's see how mainstream audiences take THAT.

LOL.

Probably only a matter of time until he starts grabbing things for paychecks now that he no longer has to worry about winning an Oscar, like when Kate started appearing in things like the Divergent movies after she finally won.