Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

So TA in Mexico ties Brazil with 62M ?

In dollars, Brazil top grosser is Titanic with 75 million. The highest grosser in local currency, Real, is Elite Squad which did 62 million $, but in dollars Titanic tops it.

It's 62M. You can't divide the total by the current exchange rate.Why didn't the total drop by 5M+?

No, useless change, and preposterous.It's $62m

If we use dollars for every country we have to use exchange rates. There is not another way. The problem is the countinuous change. We should have to breakdown the total gross minute by minute and apply exchange rate in each moment. And then, we should go to the bank and change the money grossed in each theater and change it to dollars to have the accurate number. It would be absolutely crazy (maybe some day). I have noticed for some time in the OS figures and many times they adjust numbers. Maybe, in this case they inflated the number a lot at the beginning. Or maybe the only way is waiting to final number and then change with that moment exchange. Maybe it's unfair, but I don't see another possible way (at least today).And remember that movies don't gross dollars in Mexico, but Pesos. In this way, I seriously think the OS grosses should be adjusted EVERY DAY to know which movie has really grossed more. It would be hard to keep, but it would give us the real impact of a movie in each country. It's absolutely unfair for a movie released 10 years ago when euro, AUD or yen was a 40% lower than now. Many movies would have grossed as much as DH2, Avengers, POTC4 or TF3 OS, and the WW list would be more fair (and quite different)

If we use dollars for every country we have to use exchange rates. There is not another way. The problem is the countinuous change. We should have to breakdown the total gross minute by minute and apply exchange rate in each moment. And then, we should go to the bank and change the money grossed in each theater and change it to dollars to have the accurate number. It would be absolutely crazy (maybe some day). I have noticed for some time in the OS figures and many times they adjust numbers. Maybe, in this case they inflated the number a lot at the beginning. Or maybe the only way is waiting to final number and then change with that moment exchange. Maybe it's unfair, but I don't see another possible way (at least today).And remember that movies don't gross dollars in Mexico, but Pesos. In this way, I seriously think the OS grosses should be adjusted EVERY DAY to know which movie has really grossed more. It would be hard to keep, but it would give us the real impact of a movie in each country. It's absolutely unfair for a movie released 10 years ago when euro, AUD or yen was a 40% lower than now. Many movies would have grossed as much as DH2, Avengers, POTC4 or TF3 OS, and the WW list would be more fair (and quite different)

As far as I know, this is what the studios already do, and is why the total OS never goes down week to week, regardless of exchange rate changes

As far as I know, this is what the studios already do, and is why the total OS never goes down week to week, regardless of exchange rate changes

Yes, but since the moment that release is finished the numbers don't move, and that's not correct. Numbers should change continously according the exchange rate of each country in each moment FOREVER. But I don't see this happening soon. The lists we follow are for studios which are interested in the money they earn when a movie is released. But if we want to compare two OS grosses, we should adjust OS numbers every day with actual exchange rates.To see this I'll give you and incredible example: HP1 grossed 152 million $ in Japan. Japanese Yen has risen a 68% since ending 2001-beginning 2002. Today, the same amount of money that Japanese people left in theaters to see HP1 is 255 million $ (without inflation or 3D). You can't compare OS numbers of different dates because It's like if we compare two different currencies. That's widely unfair.