Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

It's now or never for Cars 3 to reach 300M lc total, it'd be interesting to see today's weekly numbers. DM3 is going to obliterate it next weekend, we may be looking at OW records.

Spiderman is one of the most popular superheroes in this market, anything less than 500M lc total would be disappointing.

Transformers 4 had a limited release (76,291,360 lc 4-day OW) and ended up as the highest grossing in the franchise (435,600,000 total). Don't think the fifth one will be higher.

• Like 2

Cars 3 ends first week with $146.7M lc ($8M USD). Is poised to keep as No. 1 this weekend. $300M is a quite hard milestone to reach.

Wonder Woman has finally passed GOTG 2 with $365.3M lc to date.

This weekend comes 'Everything, Everything', the teen-romantic film of the year, which is following the path of 'The Fault in Our Stars' (2014), 'Paper Towns' (2015) and 'Me Before You' (2016). It won't take off audience to Cars 3 and won't get more of 1,200 screens. OW will be on par with 'Paper Towns' numbers ($24.09M lc).

• Like 2

FRIDAY REPORT. CARS 3, BAYWATCH AND MUMMY REPEAT AS TOP 3

Free-falling, the concept that defines the current status of Cars 3 at mexican BO. The movie started its second weekend with $13M, down 50% from past friday. ($160.5M to date)  

With a surprising 45% drop is Baywatch, it grossed $6M on friday for an 8-Day total of $77 M.

Filling in Top 5 are almost tied Mummy, Wonder Woman and Everything Everything, each one with $4M.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

• The Mummy: $1.2m for $11.6m.
  • Wonder Woman: $1.1m for a $20.9m running total.

It's amazing how WW made almost the same as Mummy.

I think 'Everything Everything' must be close of WW and Mummy's numbers.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I didn't follow about Cars 3...how is it doing compared to Cars 2 in Mexico and the rest of the world?

Still $65M lc and $13.6M USD away from Cars 2. Compared to the rest of the world is the current best market for the film. But will crash this thursday with arrival of Gru & daughters and minions.  

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Weekend chart. Top 4 remains the same, all with a good hold.

efNVGt3aYFAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Nice drop for Cars 3, is on par with MU's drop, next weekend should be a -65-70%. I still don't know if $300M lc are possible, however this weekend i've seen more people talking about it that the last weekend and is very positive what they say about it.

Wonder Woman is soooo loved around here, it's amazing how it was so close of Mummy. $400M are practically a sure thing.

And a small detail; number 5 is 'Everything Everything' and not 'A Family Man'. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Wonder Woman has a chance to reach 400M lc! Amazing!

How's the buzz for Gru?

Definitely won't make as much as 'Minions' but still is a popular franchise and can top $200M for 3-Day OW and $250-270 for 4-Day OW. 

• Like 2

DESPICABLE ME 3 PREVIEW.

With 22 theatres, incluiding 4 VIP, an IMAX and a 4DX; Cinépolis Perisur is probably the largest multiplex of Mexico City and one of the largest of Mexico. Today, it has booked 60 showtimes for DM3's OD, still expecting to add at least another 10 on the course of today and tomorrow. Yeah, that big is the ambition of Universal to break its own animated opening of $303.9 from Minions. Let's break on the records that starting tomorrow, Despicable Me 3 is looking for:

1. Biggest OW for an animated film: $303.9 (4-Day OW) and $247.32M (3-Day), both from Minions. This is an interesting record, because even if it doesn't reach the Minions record (which i believe, is the most probable scenario), still can get that the Top 3 animated be exclusive of the DM franchise, No. 2 is Despicable Me 2 with $193.7M and No. 3 is Toy Story 3 with $189.3M.
  2. Biggest release of all time: 4,398 locations from another Universal's film: Fate of the Furious earlier this year.
  3. Biggest animated fill all time: $777.42, record of Toy Story 3. This one is also a rough one to get. Although, just like with the OW record, it can join at Top 3 along with Toy Story 3 and Minions ($724.79M)
  4. Biggest film of the year: $678M from FoF. Again, this looks uncertain but quite possible. If it claims that record is almost sure that will keep it, unless Homecoming, Ragnarok or Justice League fight for it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

DESPICABLE ME 3 PREVIEW.

With 22 theatres, incluiding 4 VIP, an IMAX and a 4DX; Cinépolis Perisur is probably the largest multiplex of Mexico City and one of the largest of Mexico. Today, it has booked 60 showtimes for DM3's OD, still expecting to add at least another 10 on the course of today and tomorrow. Yeah, that big is the ambition of Universal to break its own animated opening of $303.9 from Minions. Let's break on the records that starting tomorrow, Despicable Me 3 is looking for:

1. Biggest OW for an animated film: $303.9 (4-Day OW) and $247.32M (3-Day), both from Minions. This is an interesting record, because even if it doesn't reach the Minions record (which i believe, is the most probable scenario), still can get that the Top 3 animated be exclusive of the DM franchise, No. 2 is Despicable Me 2 with $193.7M and No. 3 is Toy Story 3 with $189.3M.
  2. Biggest release of all time: 4,398 locations from another Universal's film: Fate of the Furious earlier this year.
  3. Biggest animated fill all time: $777.42, record of Toy Story 3. This one is also a rough one to get. Although, just like with the OW record, it can join at Top 3 along with Toy Story 3 and Minions ($724.79M)
  4. Biggest film of the year: $678M from FoF. Again, this looks uncertain but quite possible. If it claims that record is almost sure that will keep it, unless Homecoming, Ragnarok or Justice League fight for it.

FYI I saw a few other reports when you say locations (ie Fast8 4398) your actually meaning screens there aren't that many theatres in Mexico :) , locations was 775 

In $mex #1 Perisur  also in Admits but not far behind is  Forum Buenavista , then Universidad 16 

In #mex #1Perisur  but in admits its #2 behind Forum Buenavista,  #3 Universidad 16 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wonder of Rth said:

FYI I saw a few other reports when you say locations (ie Fast8 4398) your actually meaning screens there aren't that many theatres in Mexico :) , locations was 775 

In $mex #1 Perisur  also in Admits but not far behind is  Forum Buenavista , then Universidad 16 

In #mex #1Perisur  but in admits its #2 behind Forum Buenavista,  #3 Universidad 16 

Sorry, my mistake. But yeah, it's about screens ^_^

I knew Perisur was crowded but not that crowded :ohmygod:, but makes sense, is like a flagship for Cinépolis. Buenavista is always full, even at 10 AM you can find lines of dozens of people.

WW *this* close to the 400M lc barrier, currently at $21.2M and #35 all time in lc:

33  403,403,954  Rio 2 (2014)
34  400,160,000  Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)

35  395,180,000  Wonder Woman (2017)
36  384,689,018  Alice in Wonderland (2010)
37  383,580,659  The Amazing Spider Man (2012)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

DM3 opened to 31.44M lc ($1.7M) and 690K audience on Thu. Forecast is 220-250M lc ($12-14M) 4-day OW, higher if it performs extremely well on Sat/Sun.

Can make more or less depending on 2 factors, one pro and one against:

PRO

- Many schools are off today, matinés are more crowded that yesterday

CONS

- Bad weather and strong storms across center and south of the country, is expected it last at least until tomorrow. Much complexes are reducting showtimes for afternoon and night.

Edited by Carlangonz