AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I didn't doubt you, but it's like when people give an apology for making an offensive mistake. "I'm so sorry, not my intention, I feel so bad people are mad, love, culture, acceptance, have a little compassion we are all learning." a lot of superfluous platitudes. For most people, it's about them personally feeling better instead of any real remorse.

Their actions spoke for them by bringing people in to be a consultant group, so while the initial move by the company was tone deaf, they went above and beyond in fixing it.

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm glad that Disney changed the name of the film and withdrew their trademark application for the phrase "Dia de Los Muertos", it was clearly causing offence.

However, I'd like to point out that trademarking the name of a film is standard practice, and more importantly would only restrict others from using the phrase in association with the film or associated products. There seems to be a widespread (and mistaken) impression that the phrase being trademarked would somehow restrict the use of the phrase in its traditional usage. It would not.

For example, the name of our related (though now entirely secularized) holiday, Halloween, has been trademarked multiple times. Each trademark protects only the products or services specifically identified in the application, and does not prevent anyone else from continuing to use the word Halloween. Or to file their own trademark for "Halloween", associated with their own product or service.

I think it's understandable that the filmmakers and lawyers at Disney thought nothing of it until complaints were made.

1 hour ago, La La Panda said:

I don't get the hate on Disney's legal department for this.  Does it look bad?  Yes.  Is it out of the ordinary, and were they trying to trademark the actual holiday?  No.

I think it comes across the wrong way from Disney, but it's fairly standard practice and would only be trademarking the term with uses relating to Coco.

Read these before you hate on Disney, guys.

Yes, it's a bad look, but nothing out of the ordinary for a large corporation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fracfar said:

It's things like that that really make me hate Disney. They have way too much influence w/their monopoly from the animated film industry. They keep pushing back copyright terms b/c they don't want Mickey Mouse on the public domain 

Mickey Mouse wouldn't be public domain anyway since Disney has the trademarks so no one can distribute or use the early Mickey material without Disney's consents. It's the same with The Wizard of Oz, when the film goes into public domain, no would be able to distribute it or use any of the imagery from the film because WB owns all the trademarks.

1 hour ago, La La Panda said:

I don't get the hate on Disney's legal department for this.  Does it look bad?  Yes.  Is it out of the ordinary, and were they trying to trademark the actual holiday?  No.

I think it comes across the wrong way from Disney, but it's fairly standard practice and would only be trademarking the term with uses relating to Coco.

TBH it's no different from other studio lawyers have done in the past. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

It's not inconsistent to say Disney as a corporate entity did something racist/questionable/insensitive and that individual artists at Disney felt terrible about it. 

But that was three years ago and has already been amended, so there's no reason to rage about it anymore. The protesters pretty much got everything they demanded from it.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-2017-movie-television-preview-coco-director-lee-unkrich-gets-down-1484182217-htmlstory.html

Unkrich brushed off concerns of similarities to Jorge Gutiérrez’s 2014 “Book of Life,” an animated musical fantasy produced by Guillermo del Toro, which was also set in Mexico around the Day of the Dead. “We’re telling a very different story than he was,” said the filmmaker. “Obviously, it’s still set against the holiday so there are a few common elements here and there, but the two stories are completely different. You can have more than one Christmas story.”

Mama Coco is voiced by Ana Ofelia Murguia

• Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 9:18 AM, Jonwo said:

Mickey Mouse wouldn't be public domain anyway since Disney has the trademarks so no one can distribute or use the early Mickey material without Disney's consents. It's the same with The Wizard of Oz, when the film goes into public domain, no would be able to distribute it or use any of the imagery from the film because WB owns all the trademarks.

I don't believe that's the case. If a film enters the public domain, it's freely available for someone to distribute, which shouldn't cause any trademark violations. The trademark prevention would just stop anyone from merchandising anything off of the film, though.

For instance, the Max Fleishcher Superman cartoons have been in the public domain for decades. WB still owns the trademark for Superman, his logo, and so forth, but several other companies have released the cartoons. However, WB still owns the original prints, so they tend to have the ability to release the best quality versions of the films.

• Like 2

This is getting an October release in Mexico, btw. Important because they will in fact be cashing in on the holiday tie in and there'll be at least a month for word of mouth to spread before the US release, indicating confidence in the product. Contrast that to The Good Dinosaur which pretty much came out everywhere in late November and didn't have its first screening until two weeks before wide release.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2