AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

5 minutes ago, portgas said:

After Pixar's latest movies, I don't expect anything good from Coco. They really need to step up their game and ditch the tired formula and cheap emotional manipulations.

I agree. At least this is not a pointless Pixar sequel like Dory, Cars 2 and 3 or Toy Story 4.

Speaking of tired formula WDAS twist villain, buddy comedy, road trip formula is also kinda getting old. Its no wonder why Illumination is doing so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hades said:

I agree. At least this is not a pointless Pixar sequel like Dory, Cars 2 and 3 or Toy Story 4.

Speaking of tired formula WDAS twist villain, buddy comedy, road trip formula is also kinda getting old. Its no wonder why Illumination is doing so well.

:thinking: 

Animal Pop Idol and a pet rip off of Toy Story, multiple sequels featuring those annoying Minions, a future slate consisting of all sequels and a remake of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is fresh?

:lol:

• Like 13

1 hour ago, portgas said:

After Pixar's latest movies, I don't expect anything good from Coco. They really need to step up their game and ditch the tired formula and cheap emotional manipulations.

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Yeah, because Illumination/Dreamworks/most animated movies do not have "dumb animals", "cheap emotional manipulations" or "twist villains". And of course WDAS and Pixar are the only ones offering "pointless" sequels.

If I were for Disney and Pixar I would be so embarrassed with all the awful BO and reviews consistently received. Man look at Inside Out, Frozen, Moana, Zootopia...

Pointless sequel Dory only managed to be the biggest animated movie ever with 94% RT. What a joke! I am sure Minions 2 will have a bigger impact

• Like 8

Sequels ratio

Of 21 Pixar movies (counting also the films scheduled), 6 sequels and 1 prequel

Of 12 Illumination movies (also the films scheduled), 6 sequels and 1 remake

Of 32 DW movies (also the films scheduled), 10 sequels, 2 spinoffs

• Like 5

So it's Rataouille about music (the intro is exactly the same, with tv and everything) with a Trapped in another world trope. Pixar is completely out of fresh ideas :( And it looks like it's another formulaic "I ended up away from home; I must find a way back!" story. And of course there'll be some forced tear jerker about letting go of dead people or somesuch *yawn*. If there's no funny skeleton in this one, I'm skipping it.

Edited by portgas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking: 

Animal Pop Idol and a pet rip off of Toy Story, multiple sequels featuring those annoying Minions, a future slate consisting of all sequels and a remake of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is fresh?

:lol:

Hey, I mean at least they are ripping off a variety of stuff and not doing the same old buddy road movie for every film. The general audience will need a break from that formula, and that's where Illumination comes in. The animation market is big enough for the other studios (Sony animation, Dreamworks, etc) to do very well. They are due for a breakout film. We are not in the 90s anymore, no one should be afraid of Disney cornering the animation market. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, portgas said:

So it's Rataouille about music (the intro is exactly the same, with tv and everything) with a Trapped in another world trope. Pixar is completely out of fresh ideas :( And it looks like it's another formulaic "I ended up away from home; I must find a way back!" story. If there's no funny skeleton in this one, I'm skipping it.

Aging is a terrible thing, some people lose their ability to dream.

Who cares if there are fresh ideas or not? The important thing is to tell a beautiful, moving story and it's clearly doing the job. Nobody wants to watch BATB because it's fresh, we all know the story and that doesn't stop people from being excited.

In this movie I see the great Pixar I love :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YSLDC said:

And dumb animals. Don't forget the dumb animals. That stupid looking dog in the Coco poster tells you what you need to know about that movie.

Illumination's biggest success is a movie about dumb animals :redcapes:

• Like 1