CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

Not to downplay this legendary franchise that I also love, but my god how pathetic you need a pseudo re-release for a week to grind out $200 million. Best perspective here is TFA passed $200 million a couple of hours into its THIRD day in theaters. Third. And this underwhelming mess of a movie needs an expansion three months later to crawl itself to $200M. Ouch. It's just not dignified ;) lol

Edited by JonathanLB

Friday Feb 19th after the expansion it did an estimated $39,000 from 340 theaters, $115 PTA 

Compare to 3 weeks ago: 
Friday 29th - $37,692 from 195 theaters, $193 PTA 

Thurs Jan 28th domestic total - $199,343,065 
And before the expansion, Thurs Feb 18 - $199,669,852 

= $326,787 in 3 weeks. 

Given the much lower PTA now compared to 3 weeks ago I think it will likely taper off faster, so if it makes that much again, $326k, until the end of its run it'll end up at $199,996,639 

200m will be a struggle even with the expansion.

1 hour ago, IMojammer said:

Friday Feb 19th after the expansion it did an estimated $39,000 from 340 theaters, $115 PTA 

Compare to 3 weeks ago: 
Friday 29th - $37,692 from 195 theaters, $193 PTA 

Thurs Jan 28th domestic total - $199,343,065 
And before the expansion, Thurs Feb 18 - $199,669,852 

= $326,787 in 3 weeks. 

Given the much lower PTA now compared to 3 weeks ago I think it will likely taper off faster, so if it makes that much again, $326k, until the end of its run it'll end up at $199,996,639 

200m will be a struggle even with the expansion.

I am sure if it comes that they will push it again

I think Sony expanded Bad Teacher three times to get it over 100m

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

HAHA oh my god, somehow a sad situation has become even more pathetic. I thought for sure the re-expansion would take care of that tiny gross pretty quickly but that PTA is absolutely brutal! 

At this rate, I mean... it may not get there. Or at least it's going to struggle. Will it remain in these new theaters for that long...? I kind of thought it was like a one-week thing.

On Entourage there was an episode where Ari Gold (I think, not sure) says that one actor spent a couple million of his own money to make sure his movie opened at #1.  Given that the show is loosely based around hollywood rumors and not-so-tall tales I would not be at all surprised if that kind of thing happens occasionally and whoever sells the TV rights stands to gain a lot by spending a few tens of thousands, whatever is needed to get it to reach 200m.