MovieGuyKyle17

Early Friday results...

I don't think that's true. DH2 had plenty of interest of casual moviegoers. It sold about 7m more tickets than DH1 did. The finale factor brought back people that weren't necessarily watching some of the later entries that had slowly diminishing ticket sales.And THG looks to finish right in the middle of HP1 and DH2 in ticket sales so this debate is pointless.

DH2 sold only 4-5M more tickets than DH1. And some of that can be accounted for more repeat viewings.Finale factor didn't bring back that many people, at least not domestically.
  • Like 1

DH2 sold only 4-5M more tickets than DH1. And some of that can be accounted for more repeat viewings.Finale factor didn't bring back that many people, at least not domestically.

BOM estimates that it sold 37m tickets. No way it sold 40-41m tickets like you're suggesting.

BOM estimates that it sold 37m tickets. No way it sold 40-41m tickets like you're suggesting.

BOM uses a rough method to calculate ticket sales and isn't accurate, especially since 2008, because of the 3D shares affecting avg. prices and all.

BOM uses a rough method to calculate ticket sales and isn't accurate, especially since 2008, because of the 3D shares affecting avg. prices and all.

Still not enough of a difference for it to be bumped up to 40-41m. It sold 38m tickets tops. Remember it had IMAX as well.

What I don't understand is how there is such a deep divide between Sorcerer's Stone and the rest of the series. Not just from movie grosses, tickets sold, but on books sold. Sorcerer's Stone is the only one in the entire series to have 100M+ copies in print. The rest are in the 75-85M range. Its the smallest book, yet it seems to be the most popular. I personally thought the later books - OOTP, HBP and DH were better written, but they didn't even come close to the amount of copies sold for SS.

It's because it's a long series. Maybe some were not as patient as the others. I think some abandoned the series after the second or third book.The same with the film. If one misses one part, he/she might think there's no point in watching the others.

Doesn't look like IMAX is going to have a significant effect on THG. Went today at 4:45PM. 423-occupancy room. Only 20-30 people. (But it's also playing on two other regular screens at that theatre--3 screens in the 6th week.)

It's projected to drop 25%. That's the IMAX effect.

It managed sub-30 last weekend without an IMAX boost, and the drops have been softening each weekend. So what would it have been without the IMAX re-release? 26%? 27%? 28%?
  • Like 2

Hey thanks. I guess I just didn't look back far enough. Search function seems to stall for me.On another note, I thought The Raven looked like a good movie. But reviews (critics and audience) say otherwise. I'll still catch it on blu ray or dvd.

Actually, the audiences are OK with the Raven. B on cinemascore, 6.8 on IMDB. Not bad. I thought it was very solid.Too bad it didn't make jack, though the low theater count didn't help. With a low budget, and with even decent OS numbers, it should maybe avoid flopping, but I wish it was doing better.
  • Like 1

Actually, the audiences are OK with the Raven. B on cinemascore, 6.8 on IMDB. Not bad. I thought it was very solid.Too bad it didn't make jack, though the low theater count didn't help. With a low budget, and with even decent OS numbers, it should maybe avoid flopping, but I wish it was doing better.

B cinemascore isn't bad but not good either. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I like John Cusack and Edgar Allen Poe is always interesting even if this isn't one of his stories.

THG had LOTS of casual viewers... DH2 mostly had hardcore fanbase.

I've been saying it all along, THG has much more mainstream appeal than Potter/Twillight. I believe It's the casual moviegoers, that are driving THG business at this stage. Fangirl activity quickly fizzled out after the OW.

I've been saying it all along, THG has much more mainstream appeal than Potter/Twillight. I believe It's the casual moviegoers, that are driving THG business at this stage. Fangirl activity quickly fizzled out after the OW.

I don't know about appeal. The breakout movies like this always get lots of casual moviegoers (HP1, JP1, SW1)... after that the sequels only go forward with the fan base.CF will decrease from THG and get something around 40m admissions.

I don't know about appeal. The breakout movies like this always get lots of casual moviegoers (HP1, JP1, SW1)... after that the sequels only go forward with the fan base.CF will decrease from THG and get something around 40m admissions.

You can't wait to downplay CF :lol:I can already see it. I hope for your sake you have a couple partners in crime next time around.

You can't wait to downplay CF :lol:I can already see it. I hope for your sake you have a couple partners in crime next time around.

What downplay?You telling me that CF will increase from THG?

What downplay?You telling me that CF will increase from THG?

More people are reading the books every day. I don't think it's impossible.Whether it increases or decreases, I'm just saying, you're gonna be the lone dissenting voice again. I won't be getting angry about it next time though.

There is a chance CF will increase from THG if the males who rejected HG the first time around (because of Twilight comparisons) will give it a chance next time.

More people are reading the books every day. I don't think it's impossible.Whether it increases or decreases, I'm just saying, you're gonna be the lone dissenting voice again. I won't be getting angry about it next time though.

The most accurate (and perfect) comparison is HP1 -> HP2. Everything is the same.So CF should have a similar decrease.And I already see some 400M+ predicts in CF thread. I mean, what are people basing that on? That's why I mostly stay away from that thread. Be delusional while you can.