Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

So am I getting this right. The consensus everywhere else in the world is that Minions is an excellent movie and that IO is a real letdown for Disney/Pixar?

How has IO turned out to be such an American-centric film. I can't think of anything in the movie that makes it uniquely American that it would have incredible word of mouth here and outgross the third installment of a huge franchise that , here anyway, has poor word of mouth.

Yet is seems exactly the opposite overseas.

How have we Americans got this one so wrong. I think I need to go see Minions again but the first time I found it boring and fairly stupid. I'll give it another try because obviously I'm not seeing something the rest of the world is.

Edited by Planodisney

So am I getting this right. The consensus everywhere else in the world is that Minions is an excellent movie and that IO is a real letdown for Disney/Pixar?

How has IO turned out to be such an American-centric film. I can't think of anything in the movie that makes it uniquely American that it would have incredible word of mouth here and outgross the third installment of a huge franchise that , here anyway, has poor word of mouth.

Yet is seems exactly the opposite overseas.

How have we Americans got this one so wrong. I think I need to go see Minions again but the first time I found it boring and fairly stupid. I'll give it another try because obviously I'm not seeing something the rest of the world is.

OS public is more for secuals then original stories :D I mean look at ice age and shrek, movie qualty decade in their later instalments but os kept increasing. If you want to score a big hit OS you need brand awerness and original storys don't have that.. (not speaking about japan)

Edited by pepsa

It has more to do with Minions being a sequel to a huge of-the-moment kiddie franchise than the rest of the world prefer it to minions.

Shrek went from 216m OS in 2001 to over/under 500m OS for the 3 sequels, even puss in boots did 400m OS.

Madagascar from 340 went to 420 in no2 and 530 in no3.

How to traing your dragon went from 280m to 440

Ice Age 1 did 200m OS and then the sequels exploded all the way to 700m OS

Even in Pixar who haven't had many franchises, 2 of their 3 biggest movies OS are sequels.

The only non-sequel animations of the CGI era that went over 450m OS are Nemo and Frozen. So the only way for IO to pass or even come close to Minions OS was to be a zeitgeisty worldwide phenomenon.

• Like 3

Minions going to win the day in admissions, down just about 15% from yesterdays discounted admissions, best hold of the top 5

will beat yesterdays revenue, may top 5m for 2 day weekend

with it showing strength over other movies today, is it likely to have higher than an 8x OW multiplier with Obon coming up?

• Like 1

Minions going to win the day in admissions, down just about 15% from yesterdays discounted admissions, best hold of the top 5

will beat yesterdays revenue, may top 5m for 2 day weekend

with it showing strength over other movies today, is it likely to have higher than an 8x OW multiplier with Obon coming up?

Lawrence, what's the worst and best case for Minions in Japan?

5 million weekend x 6 or 7 as worst case = 30-35 million?

And 5 million weekend x 8-9 best case = 40-45 million?

Lawrence, what's the worst and best case for Minions in Japan?

5 million weekend x 6 or 7 as worst case = 30-35 million?

And 5 million weekend x 8-9 best case = 40-45 million?

worst case 35m, 40m likely. beyond that(45-50m+) is reliant on WOM which looked good today but we'll know better after next weekends hold. A number of movies that open at 5m at this time of year have done 10x. I'd say for now 50m as a best case is in the cards

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 1

Corpse

Weekend Estimates (08/01-02)

158352_5.jpg

01 (--) ¥580,000,000 ($4.68 million), 0, ¥580,000,000 ($4.68 million), Attack on Titan - Part 1 (Toho) NEW
02 (--) ¥550,000,000 ($4.44 million), 0, ¥730,000,000 ($5.89 million), Minions (Toho-Towa) NEW

03 (01) ¥327,000,000 ($2.64 million), -11%, ¥2,650,000,000 ($21.4 million), Hero 2 (Toho) Week 3
04 (03) ¥299,000,000 ($2.42 million), -11%, ¥3,275,000,000 ($26.5 million), The Boy and the Beast (Toho) Week 4
05 (03) ¥268,000,000 ($2.16 million), -12%, ¥2,025,000,000 ($16.4 million), Inside Out (Disney) Week 3
06 (04) ¥165,000,000 ($1.33 million), -20%, ¥2,410,000,000 ($19.5 million), Terminator: Genisys (Paramount) Week 4
07 (05) ¥130,000,000 ($1.05 million), -31%, ¥1,330,000,000 ($10.7 million), Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (Toho) Week 3
08 (06) ¥96,000,000 ($775,000), -32%, ¥2,820,000,000 ($22.8 million), Avengers: Age of Ultron (Disney) Week 5
09 (07) ¥90,000,000 ($730,000), -27%, ¥2,205,000,000 ($17.9 million), Love Live! The School Idol Movie (Shochiku) Week 8
10 (10) ¥25,000,000 ($200,000), -20%, ¥450,000,000 ($3.6 million), Shaun the Sheep Movie (Tohokushinsha) Week 5

The race at the top of the box-office is another close one this weekend, but I'm pretty confident in predicting Attack on Titan - Part 1 coming out on top, at least in gross. Admissions, however, are another story... estimates have Minions around 475,000 and Attack on Titan - Part 1 around 460,000.

This opening isn't surprising for Attack on Titan - Part 1, it was expected to see a big start (which is currently very similar debut to the first Gantz and the first-half sequel to Rurouni Kenshin), and become one of the highest-grossing live-action films of 2015.

However, Minions coming is so high is very surprising. Its estimated debut is higher than most Disney/Pixar releases, and by far the biggest for a non-Disney/Pixar imported animated release. There wasn't really anything for parents and children to see this Summer, outside of Inside Out which is skewing a bit older, so Minions is going to take advantage of this in a big way and could have a long-run with Obon Festival approaching.

All the holdovers performed nicely in the face of two big openers, and with the boost from Saturday being the first of the month (discount day):

-Hero 2 is the most impressive, completely turning around the downward spiral the sequel appeared to be in and revives its hopes of reaching the ¥5 billion (~$40 million) blockbuster milestone.

-The Boy and the Beast continues its nice run, and still looks likely to hit ¥6 billion+ ($50 million+), if not ¥7 billion (~$60 million). It's still the film to beat this Summer.

-Inside Out is also performing nicely, though its performance has been a bit overshadowed by continuing to trail The Boy and the Beast, and it'll now be overshadowed by Minions' overperformance, too. I wouldn't rule out it still outgrossing Minions, since it should still exceed ¥4 billion ($30 million+), but they're going to be very close.

-Terminator Genisys is still on track to exceed ¥3 billion ($25 million), and should finish almost on par with its predecessor's ¥3.32 billion finish. It's had a pretty solid performance in Japan compared to the U.S and other territories.

-Avengers: Age of Ultron will soon exceed ¥3 billion ($25 million), too, and still has a shot at hitting ¥3.5 billion (~$30 million), also nearly on par with its predecessor's ¥3.61 billion finish. It'll become the 5th highest-grossing Marvel/DC film ever, behind the original Spider-Man trilogy and its own predecessor.
  • Like 6

Corpse

As I've mentioned many times in the past, imported non-Disney/Pixar animated films don't really have an audience in Japan. You won't even find a single imported non-Disney/Pixar animated film in the Top 100 Highest-Grossing Animated Films in the market.

And they've performed so poorly in more recent years, that sometimes they don't even receive theatrical releases anymore: Home, Penguins of Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Turbo, Rise of the Guardians, Rio 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Ice Age: Continental Drift, and many others, too, never saw a theatrical release.

None have earned ever opened to impressive numbers, nor have they ever earned more than ¥3 billion in the market, often considered the box office hit milestone.

Until now. Minions is the first imported non-Disney/Pixar animated film that is going to be an actual box office hit in the market, with an opening above the ¥500 million mark and undoubtedly a final total over ¥3 billion, if not ¥4 billion+.

Biggest Imported Non-Disney/Pixar Animated Opening Weekends (1998-)

¥550.0 million [Est.] - Minions (2015)
¥363.8 million - Shrek the Third (2007)
¥336.5 million - Despicable Me 2 (2013)
¥301.8 million - Madagascar (2005)
¥284.2 million - Shrek 2 (2004)
¥235.8 million - Despicable Me (2010)
¥224.6 million - Chicken Run (2000)
¥223.9 million - Kung Fu Panda (2008)
¥218.8 million - Shark Tale (2004)
¥200.3 million - Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)

Everything else opened below ¥200 million.

• Like 1

Followup on previous page:

As expected, Love Live! The School Idol Movie had broken the previous record of 2.08b by Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion's record before entering weekend. It finished this week in 2.2b (2,211,552,340 JPY)

Although still 2 weeks of gifts remaining (I assume, consider Film Roll reprint has not announced yet), considering major screen cuts in this week due to long showings, 2.5b+ maybe too difficult, but 2.4b is quite likely.

But one issue for sure is, no matter how this will finish at, the pros/cons of weekly gifts will leave lots of discussion in future Japanese movie industry.

Edited by maxima