Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Corpse, What do you see TA doing in Japan? Considering most SH movies flop can it make 30M or more?

I wouldn't expect much in Japan even if it's performing really well in the rest of Asia. As you said, Superhero films are unpopular, and besides the Spider-Man franchise which has been a well-known property since the 70's in Japan, Batman (1989) is still the highest grossing superhero film with 1.9 billion yen. And that mark is more than likely the ceiling for The Avengers. 1.9 billion yen currently equals about $24 million.The poor release date also shows signs of low expectations. It's not unusual for Japan to get Hollywood films last, but The Avengers is opening at the end of Summer and right after Obon Week (one of the three biggest weeks of the year). Edited by Corpse

How are you getting only 16.83m admissions for Titanic?

I'm still updating the second post so everything isn't completely updated (the admissions section is now, however). The one you saw was the copy/paste I did from my other thread (outdated).Titanics number comes from an article on Spirited Away's 115th day in release when it surpassed Titanic in admissions. Edited by Corpse

Alright. The second post is fully updated now.

Now, every Sunday night I will post the Top films (ranked by admissions) from the four biggest cinema chains in Japan: Toho Cinemas, Warner Mycal, Shikoku Cinema, and Cinema Sunshine.

The most accurate chain when compared to the National Ranking is Toho Cinemas because Toho operates the most theaters and screens in the country (almost 25%). They're also the first to update each Sunday.

May 12-13

Weekend Admission Rankings

TOHO CINEMAS

1. Thermae Romae (Toho) Week 3

2. Sadako 3D (Kadakowa Pictures) Week 1

3. Space Brothers (Toho) Week 2

4. Larry Crowne (Disney) Week 1

5. Detective Conan: The Eleventh Striker (Toho) Week 5

6. Kamisugi (Toho Video Division) Week 1

7. We Were There: Part II (Toho) Week 4

8. Kamen Rider X Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen (TOEI) Week 4

9. SPEC: The Movie (Toho) Week 6

10. Chronicles of My Mother (Shochiku) Week 3

Warner Mycal, Shikoku, and Sunshine will update later tonight (this morning).

Sadako 3D (the latest film in the Ring series) is expected to debut with 200 million yen (about $2.5 million); Larry Crowne near 100 million yen ($1.2 million); Kamisugi is a Toho Cinemas exclusive and won't appear in other rankings.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

Hello! I've been given permission to start a new Japan Box Office thread. A few of you probably know me from WorldOfKJ, and perhaps have read my updates in my Japan Box Office threads over the years. Japan is still the largest international market and isn't being represented very well here. :(

This thread will have the same features and updates as my past threads.

Here is a rough guide on when to expect certain updates:

Weekly Schedule:

Mondays: Weekend and Weekly Admission Rankings are posted.

Tuesdays: Weekend Actuals are posted; Charts are updated.

Wednesdays and Thursdays: Movie News that may include casting, trailers, etc. is posted; Articles may be posted.

Fridays: Weekend Forecast is posted.

Saturdays: Early Weekend Projections are posted.*

Sundays: Weekend Cinema Chain Rankings are posted; Weekend Estimates may also be posted.*

*This can vary week to week. Sometimes the data isn't available.

More precisely it's the second biggest foreign market after China, and about the same size than France. ;)

I wouldn't expect much in Japan even if it's performing really well in the rest of Asia. As you said, Superhero films are unpopular, and besides the Spider-Man franchise which has been a well-known property since the 70's in Japan, Batman (1989) is still the highest grossing superhero film with 1.9 billion yen. And that mark is more than likely the ceiling for The Avengers. 1.9 billion yen currently equals about $24 million.

The poor release date also shows signs of low expectations. It's not unusual for Japan to get Hollywood films last, but The Avengers is opening at the end of Summer and right after Obon Week (one of the three biggest weeks of the year).

I understand this strange release date now.$20m - $30m is the target in Japan, not that bad but given this market's size we could expect more...I love shonen (mangas), shonen's fans would love The Avengers, some battles have a shonen aspect :P

More precisely it's the second biggest foreign market after China, and about the same size than France. ;)

maybe sometime but not at present http://www.hollywood...owth-326-303324

I quote: .....

Overseas, box office was up across almost all markets in 2011. China saw enormous growth, with ticket sales reaching $2 billion -- second only to Japan, where revenue reached $2.3 billion. Japan was flat last year because of the earthquake and tsunami in March.

France virtually tied with China in reporting $2 billion in ticket sales, followed by the U.K. with $1.7 billion and India with $1.4 billion.

Edited by Rudolf

Overseas, box office was up across almost all markets in 2011. China saw enormous growth, with ticket sales reaching $2 billion -- second only to Japan, where revenue reached $2.3 billion. Japan was flat last year because of the earthquake and tsunami in March.

France virtually tied with China in reporting $2 billion in ticket sales, followed by the U.K. with $1.7 billion and India with $1.4 billion.

It would be very interesting to see how much of that are from hollywood movies.Thats what i´m interested in

This year China will probably pass Japan.