Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

There are quite a few films that I expected to play well in Japan but ended up disappointing. You would think that being the birthplace of kaiju that films like Kong or Pacific Rim would be more popular. 

What do you think is the reason? Probably there's more than enough home grown movies and tv shows that focus on these stories that there's not that much appetite for foreign productions?

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What do you think is the reason? Probably there's more than enough home grown movies and tv shows that focus on these stories that there's not that much appetite for foreign productions?

This must be part of it, for example Japan had a giant Godzilla movie release last year, Shin Godzilla, did 75 million in Japan, number 2 of the year at the BO.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think that is one of the reasons. Aside from Shin-Godzilla, no kaiju film (local or otherwise) has reached blockbuster status (5 billion yen) in recent memory. Corpse also mentioned that they don't particularly care for Western adaptations of Japan-inspired source material. Probably why Ghost in the Shell is bombing so hard in Japan and why I think Power Rangers is going to suffer the same fate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

@Olive Was wednesday a holiday of some kind (or discount day)? Because the admissions today are about 1/2 what they were yesterday.

Also, what is Your Name. up to nowadays?

On Wednesdays Japan has ladies day, which is ticket discounts for women. Movies often see a large increase on Wednesday because of that. Think of it like discount Tuesday in the US. 

Edited by famekillss
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 11:43 PM, KP1025 said:

There are quite a few films that I expected to play well in Japan but ended up disappointing. You would think that being the birthplace of kaiju that films like Kong or Pacific Rim would be more popular. 

The golden era of giant monsters peaked in the 1960's. Even the films in the 1980's and 1990's weren't major grossers. Kaiju films have had difficulty making big money for quite some time.

The only exception to this is Shin Godzilla, which is arguably the highest grossing film in the genre. But I think that had a lot to do with its satirical flair, A-list cast, and for having Hideaki Anno on board.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

Beauty and the Beast came out with a clear #1 on Saturday, dropping just 8.8% week-on-week in the usual locations in terms of admissions.

Admissions on Saturday in two-thirds market:

BatB - 239k (-8.8%)

FF8 - 149k

Conan - 145k (-17.4%)

• Like 1