Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

Thanks for the info, and Can I just say I utterly agree.  I have no issue with people having different opinions (hello we each have one), but I have never understood the rancor that some fans have towards others, and other's opinions.  Obviously with some reservations, I do have issues with people having views that I just can't even fathom.  But I still try not to treat to those with anything besides being calm and rational.

I almost always stayed away from the Hobbit thread, because I just couldn't understand some of the views being expressed.

If there were not different opinions forums would not be necessary and this would be very boring ;)

Talking about TH thread, I have always predicted extremely high numbers for TH OS (about billion), but I think I have always done it with respect. I recognized my huge mistake the first weekend. Since then I have followed with curiousity how vehement can be some posters against a movie. Maybe they bet against TH and they are earning money beacuse of this. Who knows...

• Like 2

I think it was a combination of two factors that didn't let it go higher - it has little Middle-Earth sightseeing factor (we saw the Shire and Rivendell before) and, being part one, the storyline is not satisfying; it leaves the protagonists hanging somewhere near the middle of nowhere. This further cut into repeat-viewing potential (which is already lower than LotR thanks to ridiculous ticket prices). I think both problems would be less noticable with a 2-film adaption instead of three, but don't get me wrong - since this was the last chance for prabably many years to put Middle-Earth on screen, I personally am completely at ease with the 3 film solution.

• Like 8

The question is Fantasy going down in apreciation. The last successful besides the HP,Twilight and Pirates franchises was Alice in Wonderland.

John Carter 283m WW

SnowWhite 397m WW

Journey2 326m WW

Titans2 302m WW

MirrorMirror 166m WW

and now Jack bombing, Oz underwelming and Hänsel&Gretel only doing well for a small budget. No new franchise in sight: no Prince of Persia, no Conan, ..

Percy Jackson and Chronicles of Narnia are both ailing.

HP and Twilight are finished.

Perhaps they convince Depp with a lot of money to continue Pirates.

The only thing alive for Fantasy is Middle Earth.

Edited by Rudolf
  • Like 1