Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I have been wondering how this will do internationally lately. The book is less popular than it is in the USA (still known but not iconic or anything like that), but I believe that If this breaks out huge in the states, european territories may follow suit. It is common lately for European/Asian markets to follow American trends even If they are not that familiar with the product (The Force Awakens).

It is a difficult pick. I could easily see this grossing more DOM than OS but I could also see a big OS number without being surprised.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Question here. I might be seeing this within the next few days at a private screening. Should I watch the miniseries or read the book? Just wondering if certain scenes or references might go over my head or not. 

Go in cold. If you only have a few days....maybe watch the best of Pennywise scenes on Youtube but that's really it.

Interested to hear what you think!

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Question here. I might be seeing this within the next few days at a private screening. Should I watch the miniseries or read the book? Just wondering if certain scenes or references might go over my head or not. 

I would say read the book, but given how fucking huge it is, you're gonna need more than a few days to read it. 

Unless you're one of those really secluded people who stay at home for 48 hours and read books nonstop.

OK the VR experience was pretty awesome. I have pictures later but they made the inside of the bus look like a sewer.  You sat in 360 chairs and it was like 4d too with wind blowing, spring loaded stuff in the chairs.  I never did VR so it was cool just to do with looking all around.

Good marketing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

If you have enough time to read a 1,000+ page book in a short amount of time, go for it ;)

6 hours ago, fmpro said:

Any news on part 2?

OD is in 19 days here in Denmark and from what i can track its going to have a huge OD/4 day..

The fanbase is certainly there

I'm thinking WB will wait until they see how the film does before jumping the gun.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2017 at 2:44 AM, tribefan695 said:

Someone needs to fill me in on just what is behind all the insane hype for this. My feelings seeing the trailer were that it looked like a fairly decent horror movie but not something more than that. The director has one competent movie to his resume; certainly nothing here indicates to me that this will become some new classic.

My whole generation (people born late 80's early 90's) were terrified of IT growing up. The TV show was very much an event at the time.

Plus there hasn't been a single thing since. No sequel, prequel, remake etc. 

So it all feels very new. And again, like an event.

• Like 3

Here are some of the pics of the bus for the VR experience.  I can give a recap of it in spoilers in case people get a chance to do it too.  I have a pic of me next to the bus but I'll save the scary stuff for the movie :P 

Spoiler

Basically you have to sign a waiver and it also gives them the opportunity to use you as marketing if you get scared or they like your reactions.  When you first get on the boat you are in the front part and it is like a staging area.  It looks like a sewer and you are standing in the muck.  Ok not real muck but it's shown on the floor.  You stay there and get hit with a rush of wind when they are about to open the doors.  You get into your VR chairs and it begins.  You are on the street and follow Georgie's boat to the drain where you see Pennywise.  That's just the start.  I know the videos on are youtube as someone posted them already in this thread.  So basically you go down into the sewer and see a bunch of stuff that the videos can show better than I can probably describe :P 

20953646_10155124167302054_3622006804447

20953457_10155124167257054_4290419992434

20914170_10155124167482054_3335116500673

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 7

On 8/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No it wasn't.  This was never going to be any bigger than a mid level horror film AT THE BEGINNING.  The trailer views is what got us crazy.

I don't know, man. I was personally always confident in over 100m DOM. I would agree that the trailers are what made me think over 200m, but I was in the over 100m camp even before any trailer. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

I don't know, man. I was personally always confident in over 100m DOM. I would agree that the trailers are what made me think over 200m, but I was in the over 100m camp even before any trailer. 

I personally was hoping for a 25 million opening weekend and seventy-five million dollar finish. But that was at the very very beginning when it was first announced that the film was going to be made.

9 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I personally was hoping for a 25 million opening weekend and seventy-five million dollar finish. But that was at the very very beginning when it was first announced that the film was going to be made.

I honestly don't remember 100% what my initial prediction was, but I think it was along the lines of 40/110. I always thought nostalgia from the book and mini series was enough for 100m. The trailer views, the fact many would agree with me that it looks fucking great, and the fact that two quality horror films tried year have grossed 138m and 175m has me confident in this going over 200m.

• Like 1

Being in my mid to late 20's, I know a lot of people with fond memories of the mini series. Whether they enjoyed it or if it just fucked them up when they were younger :D I found a copy of the mini series in the $5 bin at Walmart back in May and bought it without hesitation. It was the first I had watched it in nearly a decade. I've been wanting to read the book (I unfortunately never have). My 12 year old niece who loves reading and loves horror just got the book recently (I may have a hand in getting her into horror as I got her very interested in call of duty Zombie's at a very young age lmao).

• Like 1

IT Movie twitter account getting a lot of engagement.  37.6K followers too which is a ton for a horror movie.  Annabelle past it's second weekend of release has only 8K.  This is going to be enormous thanks to : 1) People who have tremendous nostalgia for the miniseries and/or book.  2) Friends and family of (1). 3) Horror fans. 4) People who see parallel with Stranger Things which honestly made me think of the IT miniseries immediately when I watched it (Stranger Things).  IT has the feel of a adventure way moreso than any other horror movie I can think of which are usually confined to a small space

• Like 2